New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2019 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

KankRat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

This is more geared toward those of you that are not professional. More towards serious hobbyists, but I'll listen to anyone.

Just curious if you shoot a big jpeg and usually just use those...

or shoot small jpegs just to cull thru them then process the RAW files on just the keepers.

I guess the next question would be... out of say...100 shots how many would you keep...typically.

I am kind of thinking about the latter. But basically how do you make shooting both work for you.

Edited on May 17, 2019 at 09:39 AM · View previous versions

May 14, 2019 at 03:57 PM
The Rat
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

I shoot highest quality for both and just save them all. Disk space storage is cheap, memories are priceless.

I'm a total hobbyist and I only do landscapes though, so my stuff is relatively low volume compared to action shooters and the like.

May 14, 2019 at 04:28 PM
johnbro27
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

My most common scenario is full size raw + small JPEG on separate card (unless I need to have dups, then just raw only on each). Small JPEG is for social media--typically work related shoot where I need to move some images quickly without editing. Why keep raw? Never know if I will want to do something with one of the images that will suffer in the JPEG format.

May 14, 2019 at 05:33 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

I’m usually aiming for monochrome output so I shoot full size RAW and full size monochrome JPG, either to a single card or separate cards depending on the camera. I do my culling, rating, and metadata in Photo Mechanic and the full size JPG makes it easier to judge critical sharpness. I then copy the selected images to camera specific folders (“selects-sony” and “selects-leica”) and import them into both Lightroom and Capture One. The JPGs are then discarded. Almost all of my editing is done with LR (mainly because of various plugins) but I anticipate that at some time in the future Adobe will stop development of LR Classic in order to force everyone to their cloud-based product. At which time I’ll switch completely to C1 (which I am slowly learning).

May 15, 2019 at 12:56 AM
jose120photo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

With my Nikon I shoot RAW and process JPEG with Capture NX-D. I think this is just a habit from years ago but also being a ETTR type of shooter.

I'm a recent Fuji shooter and have found I am pleased with the JPEGs out of camera. For Fuji I shoot with JPEG+RAW. I do process RAW files for images I really want to do something with but find the JPEGs to be good enough.

Back to Nikon, there is a level of control with the Nikon Picture Control profiles where I can customize the look of the jpeg output... but to he honest to get the most quality out of your Nikon you do have to expose to the right for your RAW files giving you overexposed JPEG files.

Back to Fuji... Fuji can be a bit more fun given the camera is small, quality is great, and often I just want to shoot without thinking about post. I will often use the JPEGs but knowing what I know there is no way I could not not shoot RAW.

May 16, 2019 at 11:58 AM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

My gosh, never, never, never, never, never never use jpegs! Any camera serious enough to use is serious enough to treat seriously and that means raw. Otherwise use your smartphone or buy a junky point and shoot.

I could tell you stories about how I regret not shooting raw and missed some great opportunities. But this is FM.com, not instagram.com so I leave that alone.

Keeper rate is about 50%, so, I keep 50 out of 100 shots.

When I shot RAW+jpeg, it's just so there is an option for quick upload. If Nikon Snapbridge is open then it automatically uploads the jpegs. I guess this is insurance in case something happens to the camera or flash card.

May 16, 2019 at 03:17 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

walts.photo wrote:
My gosh, never, never, never, never, never never use jpegs! Any camera serious enough to use is serious enough to treat seriously and that means raw. Otherwise use your smartphone or buy a junky point and shoot.

Nonsense.

May 16, 2019 at 10:37 PM
daniel.in.la
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

I have no choice but to shoot jpeg when using ClearImage Zoom on my bodies. Whenever I want to double my reach without affecting my lens speed on my 400mm f/2.8 GM, I get an 800mm jpeg and love the results!

May 16, 2019 at 11:02 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

Agreed, I'm getting far too dogmatic in my old age.

I remember one good reason to shoot jpegs. It might give you a better chance at getting a critical shot in fast action. Would you rather shoot 200 jpegs in a row or 10 raw images before the buffer fills up? It's an issue for some older camera bodies.

Normally I'd discourage digital zoom, but there's probably some AI involved that "reads" the scene and "bakes" the added information into the jpeg. Google is doing something similar with their pixel cameras, thus avoiding having to add a 2nd lens.

May 16, 2019 at 11:12 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

walts.photo wrote:

I could tell you stories about how I regret not shooting raw and missed some great opportunities. But this is FM.com, not instagram.com so I leave that alone.

Keeper rate is about 50%, so, I keep 50 out of 100 shots.

When I shot RAW+jpeg, it's just so there is an option for quick upload. If Nikon Snapbridge is open then it automatically
...Show more
I’ve seen a lot of people who shoot RAW in crappy lighting and process the bejesus out of everything ending up with unnatural looks. Personally I think if you could master the settings on a camera, so that RAW files were not necessary, nail exposure, WB and select the right profile. That would be cool.

May 17, 2019 at 09:48 AM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

jose120photo wrote:
With my Nikon I shoot RAW and process JPEG with Capture NX-D. I think this is just a habit from years ago but also being a ETTR type of shooter.

I'm a recent Fuji shooter and have found I am pleased with the JPEGs out of camera. For Fuji I shoot with JPEG+RAW. I do process RAW files for images I really want to do something with but find the JPEGs to be good enough.

Back to Nikon, there is a level of control with the Nikon Picture Control profiles where I can customize the look of the jpeg output... but to
...Show more
I heard that about Fuji cameras. I think that film simulation would be really fun. I wish I had the $ to get a Fuji system.

May 17, 2019 at 09:50 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

KankRat wrote:
Personally I think if you could master the settings on a camera, so that RAW files were not necessary, nail exposure, WB and select the right profile. That would be cool.

Those that have mastered their post-processing skills get better jpegs from RAW files than jpegs processed by the camera.

May 17, 2019 at 12:12 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

Imagemaster wrote:
Those that have mastered their post-processing skills get better jpegs from RAW files than jpegs processed by the camera.

Sure. But.
Not everybody wants to spend a lot of time behind a computer or to make a Rembrandt out of every shot.
and when all goes well, you have to admit, jpegs out of the camera can look darn good, by most peoples standards
, just a guess on my part but I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of the pictures viewed today are on a phone.

May 17, 2019 at 02:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

I just stated a fact. I am not debating what format others should use, or what gear they should use.

And this thread is on a forum where 99% of the picutres viewed were not taken with a phone.

May 17, 2019 at 02:36 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

Imagemaster wrote:
I just stated a fact. I am not debating what format others should use, or what gear they should use.

And this thread is on a forum where 99% of the picutres viewed were not taken with a phone.

I got you. That's why I shoot RAW. But I am interested on how other people do things. Mostly for culling shots.

I wasn't clear in how I phrased that...
I meant...99% of the pictures taken today, regardless of how they were taken...DSLR or otherwise are viewed on a phone.

May 17, 2019 at 03:09 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

Fast Raw Viewer for quick culling, then 1:1 view in Lightroom after it builds previews.

This reminds me. I have to figure out how to delete all the jpegs that accompany raw files.

May 17, 2019 at 03:27 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

walts.photo wrote:
Fast Raw Viewer for quick culling, then 1:1 view in Lightroom after it builds previews.

This reminds me. I have to figure out how to delete all the jpegs that accompany raw files.

I was thinking along the lines of a small/ medium jpeg and only importing those or better yet view from the card. Pic the best ones. Only import the RAW files from the best.

May 17, 2019 at 03:36 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

Everybody says "storage is cheap". Back in the film days so were shoe boxes.
Before you know you have more boxes than you know what to do with.

Back then RAW files (negatives) were smaller than jpegs (prints).

:-)

May 17, 2019 at 03:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

KankRat wrote:
I meant...99% of the pictures taken today, regardless of how they were taken...DSLR or otherwise are viewed on a phone.

And where did you glean that bit of misinformation from?

May 17, 2019 at 06:09 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jpeg + RAW shooters....

Imagemaster wrote:
And where did you glean that bit of misinformation from?

I don't know. it was an "educated guess" The fact that most people I see have a cellphone and look at it a lot. And most photographers I know share on this thing called social media. facebook, Instagram etc..

May 17, 2019 at 07:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.