New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Skinny Deep Falls

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skinny Deep Falls

I like small falls, they are very relaxing. This one is a very small one in NC and it has a relaxing, inviting and calm charm. The name says it all, but I doubt you will see anyone confirming how the fall got its name
Dave may know this waterfall
Socrate

May 09, 2019 at 03:06 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skinny Deep Falls

Some of my favorite photos are of waterfalls. This is very nice.

When I compose an image I don’t like bright stuff or spots to draw the viewers eyes to the edge or out of the photo. The water in the lower left corner pulls my eyes for two reasons, one because we naturally follow the water and two it is bright. I really don’t know how I would fix this, but I am posting some things I tried.

Edited on Aug 15, 2021 at 10:54 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2019 at 06:30 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skinny Deep Falls

grandmas wrote:
Some of my favorite photos are of waterfalls. This is very nice.

When I compose an image I don’t like bright stuff or spots to draw the viewers eyes to the edge or out of the photo. The water in the lower left corner pulls my eyes for two reasons, one because we naturally follow the water and two it is bright. I really don’t know how I would fix this, but I am posting some things I tried.

I think I like the second crop of yours better. I does takes some potential distractions out and looks easier to the eyes. In fact I have another shot almost like that crop, but I like this one because to me feels like you are right there in the water> I actually was in the water. I spend hours shooting just one waterfall from every angle I can and most of the time I end up with my but in the water.
Here is a full view of the waterfall.
Socrate

May 09, 2019 at 09:06 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skinny Deep Falls

Yes! I like this one a lot.

May 09, 2019 at 10:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skinny Deep Falls

very nice Socrate
the only nit to me is the bright rock bottom image, original post. Remove or crop out to avoid it's distracting quality.

Scott

May 10, 2019 at 04:37 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skinny Deep Falls

sbeme wrote:
very nice Socrate
the only nit to me is the bright rock bottom image, original post. Remove or crop out to avoid it's distracting quality.

Scott

Yep, you are right some of the bottom has to go. I settled for this final crop

May 10, 2019 at 08:14 PM
visualpauses
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Skinny Deep Falls

Great location, Socrate
i liked the second edit by grandmas, and also the second post by you. I liked the feeling of "being there" that it evokes (as you pointed out as well)

May 12, 2019 at 08:07 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Skinny Deep Falls

Shasoc wrote:
Dave may know this waterfall
Socrate

Yep! I had posted this shot several months back that I took last fall up there. A different take on the same falls.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1577355/0?keyword=skinny#14710427

I like where you ended up with your final image here. You did a great job on this considering the light you had to work with. I always steer clear of shooting falls in bright sunlight now. Rainy overcast days or early mornings or late afternoon are the only times I go after them now.

Dave

May 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Skinny Deep Falls

lighthound wrote:
Yep! I had posted this shot several months back that I took last fall up there. A different take on the same falls.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1577355/0?keyword=skinny#14710427

I like where you ended up with your final image here. You did a great job on this considering the light you had to work with. I always steer clear of shooting falls in bright sunlight now. Rainy overcast days or early mornings or late afternoon are the only times I go after them now.

Dave

I missed that post. Yep, a different take and a different time of the year. Looks like you got it at a bigger flow rate than me. I have a similar photo like yours, w/o that rock sticking out the water.
Unfortunately I don't have many days to shoot waterfalls when I am in NC, so I try to shoot as many waterfalls as I can anytime of the day. I like your shot. It has a nice silky feel.
Socrate

May 12, 2019 at 08:08 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Skinny Deep Falls

I like the waterfall captures, Socrate.

May 12, 2019 at 10:57 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Skinny Deep Falls

lylejk wrote:
I like the waterfall captures, Socrate.

Thank you Lyle. Glad you did
Socrate

May 13, 2019 at 08:57 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Skinny Deep Falls

Shasoc wrote:
I missed that post. Yep, a different take and a different time of the year. Looks like you got it at a bigger flow rate than me. I have a similar photo like yours, w/o that rock sticking out the water.
Unfortunately I don't have many days to shoot waterfalls when I am in NC, so I try to shoot as many waterfalls as I can anytime of the day. I like your shot. It has a nice silky feel.
Socrate

I hear you on the limited time when in a target rich area like this. I'd say you have it down to a science because you're still coming away with fantastic images like this one.

Dave

May 13, 2019 at 09:07 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Skinny Deep Falls

lighthound wrote:
I hear you on the limited time when in a target rich area like this. I'd say you have it down to a science because you're still coming away with fantastic images like this one.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Nothing big, though. Having to shoot in harsh lighting I use bracketing and made me looking at luminosity masks, which have become easier to apply than some years back.
Socrate

May 13, 2019 at 10:38 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.