New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

Big Dick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has used this on their Fujis'. I've just started using this on my newly acquired X-Pro2. And I couldn't quite get the Godox to activate the flash when using ES/MS. I had to switch to MS only. I saw a vid on youtube where the person shoes changing the function settings on the X1T. I gave it a try but it still wouldn't work on ES.

https://youtu.be/Lx2KtlXeDWo

May 08, 2019 at 03:56 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

I don't have a solution but then I don't use ES at all. Trying to understand why need for ES.

May 08, 2019 at 08:06 PM
Big Dick

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

bobby350z wrote:
I don't have a solution but then I don't use ES at all. Trying to understand why need for ES.

Advantages of Electronic Shutter:
- silent
- potential for faster shutter speeds (reduce dependence on ND filters in bright sunlight)
- less mechanical wear

May 09, 2019 at 05:47 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

I shoot outside with strobes AD600s, never needed ES. No NDs neither now as HSS mode works. Silent, man, if someone can hear my shutter (XT1, GFX) must be inside very quiet place. Mechanical wear, shutter is rated 100k+ (don't know exact), replace it when it wears out.

May 09, 2019 at 08:25 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

When you shoot performing arts in a concert hall or a cathedral in Europe (not a rock concert), you need a silent shutter. Fuji's electronic shutter is indeed silent, and avoids the need for an expensive and unwieldy sound blimp. I'm certainly a working pro in a niche market, but I have literally many tens of thousands of photos where the silent shutter gives me the opportunity to get the shots I need. If I need flash, I'll simply go to the mechanical shutter.

May 09, 2019 at 12:47 PM
Ubuhle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

I recall, from using an X-E2, that you cannot fire the flash while using ES. That may still be true for this camera.

May 09, 2019 at 01:38 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

Big Dick wrote:
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has used this on their Fujis'. I've just started using this on my newly acquired X-Pro2. And I couldn't quite get the Godox to activate the flash when using ES/MS. I had to switch to MS only. I saw a vid on youtube where the person shoes changing the function settings on the X1T. I gave it a try but it still wouldn't work on ES.

To be clear, do you mean Electronic First Curtain Shutter? Or full electronic shutter?

You shouldn't have any issues using EFCS when triggering strobes (aside from potential banding at faster HSS shutter speeds).

Electronic shutter on the other hand is not something you can use with strobes, regardless of the camera right now.

May 09, 2019 at 01:59 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

Big Dick wrote:

ES (electronic rolling shutter) will expose the whole frame slowly, way slower than X-Sync times - while each line will be exposed as you directed (exposure time dialed) the whole frame is exposed line by line @ 1/20-1/40s in current camera sensors, even in the best implementations probably a little better than 1/60s, so it is not compatible with impulse light from your speedlite/strobe - only part of the sensor will be exposed - be it one impulse or even HSS, as there is no way so either have an impulse to last that long or sync a lot of short duration impulses for HSS with sensor exposure during electronic rolling shutter process

PS: do not mix ES with EF (EFCS) for Fuji... EF is what you want to use most of the time (EF+M mode)

May 26, 2019 at 08:50 AM
Big Dick

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-Pro2 + Godox X1T-F sync using Elect. Shutter

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
ES (electronic rolling shutter) will expose the whole frame slowly, way slower than X-Sync times - while each line will be exposed as you directed (exposure time dialed) the whole frame is exposed line by line @ 1/20-1/40s in current camera sensors, even in the best implementations probably a little better than 1/60s, so it is not compatible with impulse light from your speedlite/strobe - only part of the sensor will be exposed - be it one impulse or even HSS, as there is no way so either have an impulse to last that long or sync a lot of
...Show more

Thanks. Unfortunately, the X-Pro2 doesn't have it.

May 27, 2019 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.