Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Better of Two 25mm Macro Lenses for the Subject?

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Better of Two 25mm Macro Lenses for the Subject?

I have two 25mm lenses for x2.5 to x5 (giving x5 to x10 with m4/3 crop). Putting it another way, the FOV is from 7mm to 3.5mm wide before any normal cropping.

I found, with a recent session where the subject was a tiny fungus that, with similar lighting and magnification, the Photar 25mm was a bit more contrasty and resolved slightly more detail than the Laowa.

This time, I did not set out to make a comparison. The two sessions were not on the same day and one was flash, the other daylight. The apertures also varied but were mostly f11. (Both lenses are fully manual so EXIF data does not record apertures).

The first session, with the Photar, was with single flash behind the front of the lens. To my surprise, there was quite a lot of very diffuse flare and noticeably-reduced contrast. In post processing, I had to do a lot of manipulation (brighntess, contrast, etc.) to get the results which were still not to my liking, not least the colur shift.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Leitz Wetzlar Photar 25mm f2.5 macro at f11?, single TTL flash, hand-held with support.

I decided to to shoot again, this time with the Laowa, which I have used very much more than the Photar for such a subject. I also decided to used sunlight rather than flash. The results had none of the above faults. Ideally, I would have repeated this with the Photar, to make a true comparison but I had not the time.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5x-5x ultra-macro at f11?, sunlight, hand-held.

Just to clarify: All I wanted was some good images. Any comparison was unexpected but the findings are useful for the future choice of lenses for such subjects.

At the moment I cannot identify the subject. At first glance the appearance is that of fruiting bodies of a slime mould. However, the black structures, including stems, do no fit and are more like those of an Ascomycete fungus such as a Hypoxylon species. More study is needed.

Harold

Photar, flash, ISO 250

Harold Gough 2019

Photar, flash, ISO 250

Harold Gough 2019

Laowa, sunlight, 1/50 sec, ISO 800

Harold Gough 2019

Laowa, sunlight, 1/100 sec, ISO 1600

May 08, 2019 at 02:56 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Better of Two 25mm Macro Lenses for the Subject?

More neat stuff Harold ~ Ron

May 08, 2019 at 07:20 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Better of Two 25mm Macro Lenses for the Subject?

surfnron wrote:
More neat stuff Harold ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

I seem to have discovered where tennis balls come from.

Harold

May 08, 2019 at 07:41 AM
gmasterfj

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Better of Two 25mm Macro Lenses for the Subject?

Thank you for the comparison. We never think about these textures and surfaces- getting too contemplative

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.