1       2       3              18      
       end

Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

mjm6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #1 · p.19 #1 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

highdesertmesa wrote:
You're right on that last point, lol. Maybe FM could pull out all our posts on this topic into another thread. I'd hate to start over from scratch.

In the last shot I posted, the plant a little over 2m tall, so I'm not sure how much farther I'd have to back up to find "mid-distance" where bokeh still plays a role – perhaps where a model only fills up 2/3 or less of the vertical frame? I think the 110 focal length (not necessarily the GF lens itself) on 44x33 is not the ideal choice for that distance if you're
...Show more

You can see the ground (gravel) behind that yucca get somewhat nervous before the OOF smoothness takes over and everything gets buttery smooth. You can see something similar in the higher image titled "Somewhere between close and mid-distance" where the OOF plant behind the main focus has a clear double-image look it it.

I THINK, but I'm not sure, but I THINK this is what Makten is talking about regarding the transition zone. Once things are fully OOF, they get nice and smooth, but before that, they have a bit of that nervousness that some people really don't like. I don't particularly like that either, but in general, I feel the GFX lenses are some of the best at this than just about anyone.

If you really want to see it in it's glory, shot something with lots of highlights transitioning out of focus, and I suspect that you will see it much more clearly.

I also agree that the clarity slider (and others) can have a HUGE impact on the appearance of this, so it makes sense to mess with that a bit, and especially consider only using clarity in a brush rather than globally for people who are sensitive to these kinds of optical effects. That's what I generally will do.

Jul 24, 2019 at 07:08 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.19 #2 · p.19 #2 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

mjm6 wrote:
You can see the ground (gravel) behind that yucca get somewhat nervous before the OOF smoothness takes over and everything gets buttery smooth. You can see something similar in the higher image titled "Somewhere between close and mid-distance" where the OOF plant behind the main focus has a clear double-image look it it.

I THINK, but I'm not sure, but I THINK this is what Makten is talking about regarding the transition zone. Once things are fully OOF, they get nice and smooth, but before that, they have a bit of that nervousness that some people really don't like. I don't
...Show more

Makes sense, and I can see what you're referring to, but it doesn't rise to a level that distracts me. My biggest gripe, if I must have one, about the GF 110 is its rather abrupt transition from in to out of focus at f/2 at closer distances: nice focus falloff, but I don't get to enjoy it long enough, so to speak. But more than that, I just have never fallen in love with this FOV. At close to mid-distance on 44x33, I like the 100mm FOV (Contax 100 f/2), and I like the 120mm FOV (GF 120), but the 110mm FOV kind of exists in the awkward in between zone that doesn't bother me but also doesn't inspire me. I was never a fan of the Canon 85 f/1.2 on 35mm, so it shouldn't surprise me I suppose.

Jul 24, 2019 at 09:30 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.19 #3 · p.19 #3 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

I am not an expert in bokeh. First time I heard transition zone etc. Maybe someone can point out what I should be looking?

Jul 24, 2019 at 09:44 PM
relms
• • • •
p.19 #4 · p.19 #4 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

jfew wrote:
Has anyone who pre-ordered from Adorama received their GFX 100 yet? If so, how soon after they started accepting pre-orders did you place yours?

I called Adorama yesterday and was told that they have 47 names on their waiting list, and that they expect a batch of cameras to arrive next week, but that they don't know how many bodies they will receive. It seems demand has exceeded expectations.

Jul 25, 2019 at 07:22 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.19 #5 · p.19 #5 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

bobby350z wrote:
I am not an expert in bokeh. First time I heard transition zone etc. Maybe someone can point out what I should be looking?
https://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s/v-3/p2877994293-6.jpg
https://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s/v-3/p2906895071-6.jpg
https://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s/v-3/p2881098852-6.jpg

Look at the flowers in the top photo to the right of the model. They show some of that "nervousness" that Makten is talking about, but I believe they are a bit out of the range where it would be at its' worst.

The three photos you have posted all are not good candidates to show this characteristic. They are actually images that show one method to AVOID it; have the focus distance and the surrounding background far enough apart that you don't have the opportunity to see the nervousness that the lens can render. In these cases, you did this by shooting from a pretty low position aiming up towards the model so that the mid-field background is either completely invisible (in the case of the second and third)m or very compressed in the case of the first. Plus the lighting and lack of specular highlights in that portion of the background help avoid the characteristic from showing up too strongly.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:46 AM
engardeknave
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #6 · p.19 #6 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

relms wrote:
I called Adorama yesterday and was told that they have 47 names on their waiting list, and that they expect a batch of cameras to arrive next week, but that they don't know how many bodies they will receive. It seems demand has exceeded expectations.

The B&H sales department has a restraining order against me. I am not allowed to call anymore.

Jul 25, 2019 at 03:22 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.19 #7 · p.19 #7 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

engardeknave wrote:
The B&H sales department has a restraining order against me. I am not allowed to call anymore.

Oh. How did you manage to do that?

Jul 25, 2019 at 05:08 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.19 #8 · p.19 #8 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

k-h.a.w wrote:
Oh. How did you manage to do that?

I didn't.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:18 PM
engel001
• •
p.19 #9 · p.19 #9 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

I have been thinking about this. I still have a few Contax 645 lenses. Would be interested to hear opinions regarding PD autofocus of the GFX100 via adapter. The previous experiences had been not so good, I understand.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:47 AM
JimPatterson
• •
p.19 #10 · p.19 #10 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

If anyone is looking for a body, send me a PM. My local shop has one available.

Jim

Aug 01, 2019 at 12:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

engardeknave
• •
p.19 #11 · p.19 #11 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

B&H just told me they have a shipment coming today and I should finally have my GFX100 tomorrow or Monday. Probably lies, but one can hope.

Edit: Now it's 8/30

Edited on Aug 09, 2019 at 11:40 AM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2019 at 01:02 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.19 #12 · p.19 #12 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

JimPatterson wrote:
If anyone is looking for a body, send me a PM.

If you didn't know this was a photography forum... ;-)

Aug 08, 2019 at 01:03 PM
relms
• • • •
p.19 #13 · p.19 #13 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

Thanks Jim. I contacted your shop; they had one in stock, and I bought it. I’m happy not having to deal with the two big N.Y. stores.
JimPatterson wrote:

Jim

Aug 11, 2019 at 07:00 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.19 #14 · p.19 #14 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

Thank you Jim for making this happen!

JimPatterson wrote:

Jim

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:09 PM
JimPatterson
• •
p.19 #15 · p.19 #15 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

Not a problem! Enjoy your new camera!

Jim

engardeknave wrote:
Thank you Jim for making this happen!

https://i.imgur.com/JtpKdOr.jpg

Aug 22, 2019 at 08:04 AM
Rand47
• •
p.19 #16 · p.19 #16 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

What an amazing camera. I’m very impressed so far. Detail, etc., is as one might expect. Tonal transitions, on the other hand are so impressively beautiful and gentle. The two combined make for test prints I’ve made that look like you could step right into them. People have made that comment to me on viewing them - and I print a lot and have never had that comment made before. Add to this a camera that you can shoot “off hand” at ridiculously slow shutter speeds (for any camera, not just a medium format camera - or for G Dan a merely 1.7 times larger than miniature film-size sensor) and you have what is turning out for me to be something I never even dreamed would be possible camera.

These were all just test “happy snaps,” shot hand-held at relatively low shutter speeds. All with the 45mm f/2.8. I’ve made some very large prints and am having the same kind of reaction that I had the first time I saw an image start to appear in the developing tray, over 50 years ago . . . All just lightly tone mapped in Lightroom only (so far in testing). The files are truly lovely with only LR’s sharpening defaults totally over the top and needing to be adjusted downward (still preliminary / partial support from Adobe so hopefully improved soon). The way the tones are subtly preserved in the chrome art piece at the entrance to the Palm Springs Art Museum totally blew me away.

Rand

Edited on Sep 23, 2019 at 08:07 AM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2019 at 07:32 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.19 #17 · p.19 #17 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

Rand47 wrote:

What an amazing camera. I’m very impressed so far. Detail, etc., is as one might expect. Tonal transitions, on the other hand are so impressively beautiful and gentle. The two combined make for test prints I’ve made that look like you could step right into them. People have made that comment to me on viewing them - and I print a lot and have never had that comment made before. Add to this a camera that you can shoot “off hand” at ridiculously slow shutter speeds (for any camera, not just a medium format camera - or for G Dan
...Show more

Would you be willing to turn on your EXIF data? That would be helpful to see what setup is rendering these results.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:47 AM
Rand47
• •
p.19 #18 · p.19 #18 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

Would you be willing to turn on your EXIF data? That would be helpful to see what setup is rendering these results.

If I knew how to do that, I’d be glad to do so.

NOTE: I went into “edit” mode and didn’t see a way to turn on exif on already posted images. What I can say is that these were all ingested as raw into LR. My defaults are almost always to start with the “camera faithful” Fuji Astia profile as a starting point, it strikes me as a well balanced rendering that is more faithful to what I see with my eye/viewfinder than Adobe Color. So unless an image screams at me for a different starting point, that’s where I go.

I’m away from my studio for a week or so, so cannot look, but these all have very very minor tweaking in LR. That’s one of the really surprising things about the files, they are amazingly good on import. I typically check white and black points, end up opening up shadows a bit, bringing a little more detail into the highlights, adding a very small contrast increase via the curves tool (I don’t like the contrast slider as it tends to oversaturate color along with contrast). Very minor addition of “texture” and “clarity” sliders (very image dependent, however, and always just looking for a little more tonal separation). I lower the LR defaults for sharpening the GFX 100 files as it is way over-done, IMO. I shoot auto WB 99% of the time and then tweak to taste if necessary. I flogged the IBIS pretty hard on these files, intentionally, some of the shutter speeds, as I remember, were as low as 1/17th second and up to about 1/70th. It works much better than I was expecting, frankly. Not sure if any of this is helpful or not, but thought I’d offer a little more insight. My typical workflow would be to do these basic tone mapping steps in LR, and the refine via “open as smart object” in PS for local refinements.

Rand

Sep 23, 2019 at 08:06 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.19 #19 · p.19 #19 · Pre-order: Fuji GFX 100 Medium Format Mirrorless Camera

highdesertmesa wrote:
You all need to understand that when reading Dan's posts that sometimes he may be logical and coherent and sometimes not at all. I don't want to make any medical or psychological assumptions, but something isn't right. He posts out of context stuff like this on Fujirumors articles and recently started doing the same on the GFX Facebook group though he's been a member since 2016.

Take a look at some of Dan's edited posts – look at the edit history and see the changes he makes. One that I saw involved a very short post in which he rewrote a...Show more

Nov 20, 2020 at 08:29 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password