Wilbus wrote:
Falcon

Sep 19, 2019 at 08:32 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Murphy18 wrote:
another pic of the deer. keep my ss low and panning a little bit. so I lost some sharpness on the head. but you could see it was a beautiful rainy day. I forgot to put the ibis on, maybe I had then a perfect image

It's another beautiful photo! Don't beat your self up over the IBIS, it wouldn't have helped here anyway as you are getting motion blur from the deer moving, only thing that would have helped there is shutter speed but I don't think it matters that much here, it's a very nice photo and I wish I can get this close to something in the future!

/Rasmus

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:54 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

robert_in_ca wrote:
Thatís an awesome image... nicely done!

Thanks Robert!

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:54 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

I use to have the EM1 Mkii and a few pro lenses. Currently I have the EOS R which I really like but there's something about the Olympus and the lenses I miss.

So I was thinking of either getting the E-M1X or possibly the G9. The thing I wanted to ask you, since you had the EM1 Mkii before, is do you find the G9 to be overall better?

I have to admit that when I was trying out the G9 and E-M1X at a local shop, I really never noticed how bad the EVF was on the Oly until I tried the G9 (also checked the S1 and that EVF was awesome). The one thing that I am not sure about on the G9 was pulsing due to DFD, especially in low light. Love to hear your thoughts

Thanks Robert!

Sep 20, 2019 at 09:15 AM
whumber
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Thanks Robert!

What kind of shooting do you plan to do with it? Overall they're pretty similar but if you're shooting moving subjects I'd take the E-M1ii/E-M1X over the G9 any day. If you're not shooting moving subjects, the G9 is pretty hard to beat.

Sep 20, 2019 at 09:47 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Edited on Sep 20, 2019 at 10:17 AM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:04 AM
Murphy18

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Wilbus wrote:
It's another beautiful photo! Don't beat your self up over the IBIS, it wouldn't have helped here anyway as you are getting motion blur from the deer moving, only thing that would have helped there is shutter speed but I don't think it matters that much here, it's a very nice photo and I wish I can get this close to something in the future!

/Rasmus

Thank you for your feedback about the IBIS and for your comment. Have a nice weekend

Greet Cyril

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:09 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

I would say 95% of what I like to shoot is street and traveling/documentary photography (no sports). However I do tend to travel to pretty remote areas in Asia so weather sealing and durability are important.

What kind of shooting do you plan to do with it? Overall they're pretty similar but if you're shooting moving subjects I'd take the E-M1ii/E-M1X over the G9 any day. If you're not shooting moving subjects, the G9 is pretty hard to beat.

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:18 AM
whumber
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Definitely sounds like the G9 is the better choice then.

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:37 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

robert_in_ca wrote:
I use to have the EM1 Mkii and a few pro lenses. Currently I have the EOS R which I really like but there's something about the Olympus and the lenses I miss.

So I was thinking of either getting the E-M1X or possibly the G9. The thing I wanted to ask you, since you had the EM1 Mkii before, is do you find the G9 to be overall better?

I have to admit that when I was trying out the G9 and E-M1X at a local shop, I really never noticed how bad the EVF was on the Oly
...Show more

I clearly find the G9 the superior camera in almost every way. Let's put the "pulsating evf" to rest once and for all since I've heard it a lot

It does have some very slight pulsating (about 240 fps) when in C-AF mode and in C-AF mode only, this is due to the contrast focus having to go back and forth in order to determine focus during continues AF. It does so at 240 frames per second so the pulsating is very very fast and to be completely honest, while I did notice in some in the beginning when shooting wind surfing and boats and tracking them, the brain quickly turns it off and I don't see it anymore. If you use Panasonic lenses it should be even less thanks to DFD technology.

It's also very important to understand it doesn't happen AT ALL during normal S-AF, it's purely while in C-AF.

I agree, one can find the E-M1X and E-M1.2 EVF quite good till it's compared to the G9, there just no competition after that unless you start comparing the Panasonic S1 and Nikon Z.

The overall user interface of the G9 is just superior to Olympus, it's like it's a 2018/2019 camera and the Olympus is 2012. The use of the touch interface, the EVF which is really clear, the customizability of the buttons and most other things just makes it so much faster to work with, and learn. I also find the ergonomics better even though the E-M1.2 is really good. The 1X has superb ergonomics as well.

Also, the G9 works great with Olympus lenses and the focus is fast as lightning. So for me, the G9 is the clear choice and what you say you shoot I think you should consider it very strongly. Btw, the tracking focus in C-AF actually works quite good as well, much better than everybody gives it credit for (I suspect most who say it's bad have never tried it but just read it's CDAF and thus say it sucks).

/Rasmus

Sep 20, 2019 at 03:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

damage98

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

I'll agree that focus is fast, but lets not pretend that tracking is any good on the G9. I've spent the last two years shooting my sons soccer games (12-13 year olds) with a G9 and mostly w/ Lumix 100-300ii and Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm. Using AFC and tracking is an exercise in frustration. So, my usual method is to use zones, and back button focus. The same technique I used on my 60,70, and 80d DSLRs. I'm not new to photography, but I'm not necessarily good at it or even awfully creative... I'm technical tho, and I know how AF works and the different factors that can effect tracking. I've tried virtually every different tracking combination, with no real difference detected in success rates. One athlete, tracking can be achieved, briefly, but in a field game like soccer, there is rarely one player. Heck, even random objects in the background fool Panasonic DFD Contrast AF.
The G9 is a great, fantastic camera, with focus tracking and resolution being its main weaknesses. The search for the perfect camera continues.

Sep 20, 2019 at 07:38 PM
Murphy18

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

I had a very good luck, the Jay landed exactly in front of me, distance was about 10-15 meters. Just a matter of waiting til he took a bath.....

Eurasian Jay

DC-G9    280mm    f/4.0    1/3200s    3200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Sep 21, 2019 at 03:12 AM
Lleuallen
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

A feature of the G9 that is not mentioned much is that it has an anti-reflective coating on the sensor. And it works. I did not know of this feature and was taking a lot of photos against the light source, sunrises. After many shots I noticed that I was not getting many sun spots or flare or if I did they were minor. Then I saw a video about the G9 and in it the anti-reflective coating was discussed with examples. That was it: why I was not getting many sun spots. For the type of shooting I was doing this became a very important feature.

Sep 21, 2019 at 05:42 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

damage98 wrote:
I'll agree that focus is fast, but lets not pretend that tracking is any good on the G9. I've spent the last two years shooting my sons soccer games (12-13 year olds) with a G9 and mostly w/ Lumix 100-300ii and Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm. Using AFC and tracking is an exercise in frustration. So, my usual method is to use zones, and back button focus. The same technique I used on my 60,70, and 80d DSLRs. I'm not new to photography, but I'm not necessarily good at it or even awfully creative... I'm technical tho, and I
...Show more

Well, I guess we can have different experiences here, can't we? Without going as far as to say "let's not pretend"...

The tracking I've done with the G9 has mostly, and I do say mostly, worked very well and way better than I expected when I bought it (my expectations were very low for C-AF).

The action shots you see me posting are all with C-AF and tracking, the first few shots in this thread on the sea rescue boat doing some 25-30 knots and maneuvering were all shot using C-AF and tracking box and in that instans there isn't a single out of focus frame out of 100+. Now, a boat is an easier target than a soccer game. Same goes for wind surfing and some other things I've had good success in tracking.

Now, this is not to say the tracking is terrific, it is indeed one of the few weak points of this camera but I don't agree with you on how bad it is. It is clearly on par with the Olympus E-M1.2 (unless FW 3.1 made it MUCH better).

It could of course have something to do with lenses as well? I've using only Olympus high end fast lenses (40-150 F2.8 and 300 F4 for sports) and while they don't have the benefit of DFD they do benefit from letting quite a bit more light in as well as having faster more advanced focus motors compared to the lenses you are using.

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:28 PM
whumber
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Wilbus wrote:
Now, this is not to say the tracking is terrific, it is indeed one of the few weak points of this camera but I don't agree with you on how bad it is. It is clearly on par with the Olympus E-M1.2 (unless FW 3.1 made it MUCH better).

I wouldn't consider the G9 to be in the same league as the E-M1ii or E-M1X in general, but if you have a target where it moves at a constant speed and you have plenty of time to acquire initial focus it can be good. Any kind of acceleration and I've found the G9 C-AF to be almost worthless.

Sep 21, 2019 at 02:56 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

whumber wrote:
I wouldn't consider the G9 to be in the same league as the E-M1ii or E-M1X in general, but if you have a target where it moves at a constant speed and you have plenty of time to acquire initial focus it can be good. Any kind of acceleration and I've found the G9 C-AF to be almost worthless.

Hmmm I'll have to do more testing with it as far as that goes. I've had much better results with the G9 and the tracking box than I ever did with the E-M1.2, but that camera may or may not have been malfunctioning. Still unsure about that.

I do find I need to test the different C-AF modes more though as in target stickiness etc.

The E-M1X should be better than the E-M1.2 so I won't say anything about that

Ps. @Murphy18 another really nice shot with beautiful colors.

Sep 21, 2019 at 03:11 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Is there a 1.4x TC and/or 2x TC that will work with the G9 & P/L 100-400? Not worried about C-AF, but only reach.

I did not find C-AF too bad on E-M1ii, but no match for Sony A9, or Canon and Nikon DSLRs.

Images that I have seen with Oly 300 f4 & 2x TC do not show much feather detail.

E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/13.0    1/2000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/13.0    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/6.7    1/2000s    2000 ISO    +1.0 EV  

E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/100s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Imagemaster wrote:
Is there a 1.4x TC and/or 2x TC that will work with the G9 & P/L 100-400? Not worried about C-AF, but only reach.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:02 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

See Adrian Harrisí response below:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4111516#forum-post-59050907

Imagemaster wrote:

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:46 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Panasonic G9 image thread and discussion

Thanks. Looks like the short answer is no.

Too bad. My Sony 200-600 f6.3 will c-af with both a 1.4x tc and a 2x tc on my A9 or A6400.

Sep 23, 2019 at 09:43 PM
1       2      
       4              14       15       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              14       15       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password