Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2019 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

DaveFP wrote:
If you are not comfortable with that then have a small local retailer order the item for you; liability avoided.

That's exactly what I do. I try the equipment from their rental pool and if I like the equipment, I buy it new from the same store.

Apr 23, 2019 at 06:08 PM
drbenway

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

Replying to this older post because this is exactly what has happened to me.

Purchased a new Sony A6700 from Adorama via Amazon. When I got the camera, shutter count was shown to be almost 700. I called Adorama customer service to ask about it- mainly, if the camera I received was possibly a store demo? or a return? Did they have a way to check the ser# to see if this was a camera that had been already returned or what. Because if it was a return, why was it returned? Not wanting a camera with potential issues I don't know about, I told them I wanted to return it for another one.

Adorama's policy doesn't do exchanges or replacements, so I have to ship the camera to them via slow ground shipping, wait a week for them to get it, and then wait another couple of days for them actually refund me, then probably wait another day or two for that amount to actually be available to me again to use.

So, I sent the new camera back and ordered a second one because I need my camera now not in "weeks".

When the second camera arrived two days later, I checked the shutter count and it was at 650. Great. Another returned camera sold as "new"..

So now I am in the hole for ~$2800 for a ~$1400 camera (at least until my refund comes through). Not having the funds to return this second camera and to order a THIRD (bringing my total spending to $4200- which I don't have), I have to keep this camera as-is for what I paid for it.

So yes, in my experience, Adorama most definitely sells returned or used cameras as NEW if they can get away with it. And in my case they did.

I wont be ordering from them anymore.

Dec 01, 2023 at 03:12 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

Are you certain it wasn’t an ‘Open Box’ [OB] grade? They sell a lot of those labeled as such.

Dec 01, 2023 at 04:34 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

I know that sometimes new cameras have several hundred shutter counts as new unused version. The manufacturer makes sure that the shutter works correctly - this is always the case for example with Leica M cameras. Shutter counts of 700-800 are seen as normal for a brand new camera there. Not sure how it is with Sony, but maybe similar.

Dec 01, 2023 at 06:41 PM
drbenway

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

j.liam wrote:
Are you certain it wasn’t an ‘Open Box’ [OB] grade? They sell a lot of those labeled as such.

Yes, I am sure.

Dec 02, 2023 at 02:01 AM
drbenway

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

retrofocus wrote:
I know that sometimes new cameras have several hundred shutter counts as new unused version. The manufacturer makes sure that the shutter works correctly - this is always the case for example with Leica M cameras. Shutter counts of 700-800 are seen as normal for a brand new camera there. Not sure how it is with Sony, but maybe similar.

I am not finding any information anywhere online that indicates such is the case with Sony cameras. Just the opposite actually.

Edit to add: Here's the thing- I asked them if they knew if the camera's serial number shows up as a previous sale etc. They couldn't tell me if that was the case or not. *If* they responded with- "Nope, absolutely new camera, no record of previous sale, this is directly from Sony" I would have no issue with that. Problem is, they did not, could not, or would not. If Sony is burning in new cameras with 600+ actuations, then they really need to indicate such in the materials they send out with the cameras. Because it seriously makes it looked like a "used" camera.

Dec 02, 2023 at 02:11 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

Consider this; the Canon EOS R5 can mechanically fire the shutter at 20 FPS. Testing that shutter to insure it can endure hundreds of thousands of actuations over its lifetime by continuously firing it for a mere 30 seconds, yields you 600 actuations.

These aren't consumer cameras that may never endure more than a few thousand clicks. How else can you test the mechanism than by putting it through its paces?

Dec 02, 2023 at 09:20 AM
Geoff CB
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

Simple fact is if you don't want this to ever happen, then expect Adorama and B&H to get far more restrictive in terms of their return policy.

Dec 02, 2023 at 09:09 PM
drbenway

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

Geoff CB wrote:
Simple fact is if you don't want this to ever happen, then expect Adorama and B&H to get far more restrictive in terms of their return policy.

An even simpler fact is, they shouldn't misrepresent what they are selling to begin with. If it's used, or a return, than that's what it is and should be indicated as such, and priced as such. And all camera resellers should handle it that way, not just two of them. That's how something like this doesn't happen again.

Dec 02, 2023 at 09:18 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

then the store will resell the returned item as new.. perfect! 👍🤣

No Regrets wrote:
So I understand the frustration of receiving a possibly returned item, but did you at least take some images with it to see how it performed and to see how you liked the Milvue 35f1.4?

Please share your impressions or samples with us...

Best Wishes,
Don

Dec 02, 2023 at 10:25 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

point-of-use qc check is not the same as buying, trying, and returning.

nlk10010 wrote:
Agree, but that's their policy. No one forces B&H, Adorama, Crutchfield et al. to accept non-defective returns.

I really think, though, that before deciding stores should only sell "new" items at full price one needs a definition of that word. Perhaps an item that was never sold? It's not going to be easy to cover all bases, though. A poster I believe suggested that it would be a box not opened after it leaves the factory. That won't work because distributors in each country almost always open up the box to insert country-specific electrics and warranty. Even camera stores can
...Show more

Dec 02, 2023 at 10:34 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

am i understand correctly that firing the shutter 600 times will confirm its reliability over the rated actuation of +300k? 🤔🤔

j.liam wrote:
Consider this; the Canon EOS R5 can mechanically fire the shutter at 20 FPS. Testing that shutter to insure it can endure hundreds of thousands of actuations over its lifetime by continuously firing it for a mere 30 seconds, yields you 600 actuations.

These aren't consumer cameras that may never endure more than a few thousand clicks. How else can you test the mechanism than by putting it through its paces?

Dec 02, 2023 at 11:01 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

imho, firing the shutter several hundred times to validate the reliability of the rated lifespan of +300k actuations isn't at all sound.

retrofocus wrote:

Dec 02, 2023 at 11:20 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

retailers such as bestbuy & amazon have been tracking customers' buying habits.

if a buyer is identified as a repeated offender, the buyer will be warned and possibly be banned from purchasing for a limited time.

Dec 02, 2023 at 11:26 PM
hostaw

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Adorama selling returns as brand new items ?

I think firing the shutter for a short period does count as QC as it does test if the camera can function fully as its supposed to for if it can take max fps for the buffer.

Take cars for example, you'll never have a 0 mile car straight from the dealership. Dealerships can receive cars that have more than 10 miles on odometer from the plant.

In any case, retailers shouldnt sell returned items as new and manufacturers could be more clear on the QC process

Dec 03, 2023 at 12:59 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.