New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2019 · Abes of Maine

hcphotos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Abes of Maine

Has anyone ordered from this company? They have a great deal on 5DIV right now... I always order from B&H and have not had a problem... thanks.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:50 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Abes of Maine

They've been around forever. Never ordered from them, though.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:56 PM
Eric Williams
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Abes of Maine

Just be aware that it's a gray-market product.

From their site:

Is Abe's of Maine an Authorized Dealer?
We carry a variety of name brand products, some of which we ARE an Authorized Dealer & some of which we are NOT an Authorized Dealer. If you do not see the “Authorized Dealer” logo on the product detail page then we are NOT authorized for those products. Some notable manufacturer’s that we are NOT Authorized Dealer for include Canon, LG, Nikon, Panasonic, Tamron, Sigma, Samsung & Sony.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:06 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Abes of Maine

AmbientMike wrote:
They've been around forever. Never ordered from them, though.

I believe they went bankrupt and someone bought the name, so not really the same company.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:17 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Abes of Maine

Here's some background.
https://www.cpricewatch.com/blog/2014/05/warning-avoid-abes-of-maine-and-other-bait-switch-retailers/

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:50 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Abes of Maine

Mike_5D wrote
I believe they went bankrupt and someone bought the name, so not really the same company.

That might be a good thing. As I recall, they were one of the vendors with a huge number of complaints in the old photo.net community forums. Bait and switch was a common complaint, as I recall.

I would be wary.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:52 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Abes of Maine

Do business with AoM at your own peril.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Abes of Maine

This thread will probably end up on the Forum Forum, along with this one:

BEWARE OF THIS-ABE'S OF MAINE, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1573862/0#14685092

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:37 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Abes of Maine

hcphotos wrote:
Has anyone ordered from this company? They have a great deal on 5DIV right now... I always order from B&H and have not had a problem... thanks.

You might want to check out this blog post that I wrote a few years ago. I have put the link into a few threads here on FM with the intent of trying to help people avoid getting scammed.

https://adelembuttolphgallery.com/tips-buying-cameras-lenses/

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:39 AM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Abes of Maine

This reminds me of an old link. When you are sending your money to photo retailers who are not the big ones (trying to save money), think about where your money may be going.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

I realize many of these are old or out of business, but you will find that many of the stores that have replaced them are very similar.

Jan 18, 2019 at 03:34 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Abes of Maine

They may be operating under the name 'Web Offers' on Amazon. Watch it, they are scheisterers, as my grandfather used to say...

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:08 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Abes of Maine

Not worth any money you might save

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:27 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Abes of Maine

If you want to save money, start with Greentoe, and avoid AoM like the plague, they are scum.

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:03 PM
JetEye
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Abes of Maine

I ordered 24-105mm online. Got a call from them and was told that the item I ordered was grey market item. I need to pay extra for US version. I was told that I will be getting a "retail" version and not a lens pulled from a kit with a white box. I agreed to the new price.
Of course they sent me a lens with white box that was pulled from a kit.
So, save yourselves a headache and buy from reputable stores.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:03 AM
chris02324

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Abes of Maine

I have bought from them before. Always cheaper, always a hassle. After placing an order they will contact you before sending your order; they will use high pressure up-sell techniques before shipping. You must suffer through their sales pitches before your item will be sent, but in both cases my items were received without incident. It is a PIA, but it definitely their business model.

My items were received new and in excellent condition.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:13 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Abes of Maine

You might look at my post this morning on the thread ‘Just bought a 5d MK IV from deals-all-year on ebay’. If Abe’s is the $2049 deal, then for another $150 you get an EF L17-40 f4 lens, plus a little more no hassle protection through Amazon.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.