1       2      
       end

122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

InFocus2014
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

MikeEvangelist wrote:
A lot of parallels in our paths! (I did the Leica to Nikon 800e to Sony route too.)

I'm very curious about that lens. I've been pondering adding 70-200mm GM again, but it seems the Tamron might be able to replace the Sigma 24-70 and a 70-200 for a lot of my work. I don't know. And stabilization is a big deal for me as I get older, so the GM appeals.

Yeah, I'm 74 and stabilization becomes more important than ever. Of course, IBIS takes care of shorter FL's quite well. Surprisingly, I have taken a lot of 150mm shots at a bit less than 1/FL and things were quite sharp on the 61mp sensor, so IBIS must be doing something at that FL, even though the augmented stabilization from OSS would be even better. For critically sharp shots on 61mp, I assume that between 1/(2*FL) or 1/(2.5*FL) is best for statistically sharp shots (particularly with me shooting), so I am happy with this performance.

I had the GM 70-200mm f2.8 II on pre-order, but cancelled it after shooting the Tamron lens. I sold my GM 70-200mm f2.8 (second one) a couple of years ago due to lackluster performance at 200mm. The new lens is, apparently, outstanding, but I need to question how often I would use it, now that I have the Tamron lens. I probably wouldn't challenge the quad-focus motors very often. Since this lens is so sharp, it probably will tolerate a x1.4 teleconverter, so that would add some nice flexibility.

I would guess that GAS will cause me to add it to the stable within about 18 months, or so, after I can buy a used one.

Nov 18, 2021 at 07:26 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

InFocus2014 wrote:
Yeah, I'm 74 and stabilization becomes more important than ever.

As interesting at the 35-150mm is, I resisted the temptation of the 'new shiny' and ordered another 70-200mm GM. I often shoot in marginal light and the OSS really helps. Plus, the price on the GM has dropped greatly since the mk II was announced; got a new one for $1800.

Nov 25, 2021 at 01:05 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

MikeEvangelist wrote:
As interesting at the 35-150mm is, I resisted the temptation of the 'new shiny' and ordered another 70-200mm GM. I often shoot in marginal light and the OSS really helps. Plus, the price on the GM has dropped greatly since the mk II was announced; got a new one for $1800.

And (i) the internal zoom, (ii) lens foot, and (iii) possibility of using teleconverter

Nov 25, 2021 at 01:20 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

MikeEvangelist wrote:
,,,ordered another 70-200mm GM. I often shoot in marginal light and the OSS really helps. Plus, the price on the GM has dropped greatly since the mk II was announced; got a new one for $1800.

jigesh wrote:
And (i) the internal zoom, (ii) lens foot, and (iii) possibility of using teleconverter

All great points!

Nov 25, 2021 at 08:41 PM
EdwardDye
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Great work Mike! personally, I have to say I feel the IQ on new "high-end" mirrorless lenses that are released in the last 3 years basically tops almost any old lenses, the lens tech just moved forward so much since mirrorless, I mean color and "feeling" of the lenses are a personal thing, but resolution and sharpness everyone can see, the new 50GM is super amazing wide open, the 135GM is the sharpest lens I've ever seen wide open(that include some 300 2.8 and 400 2.8), the 14GM is so amazing too, tI never thought 14mm 1.8 can be that kind of size and weight.

MikeEvangelist wrote:
It's going on three years since my original post, so an update seemed appropriate. I still have a kit of 9 lenses (pictured below), but my total for the past 10 years has now passed 160. I've been doing a lot more shooting and this has helped me refine what I like and what I need.

My favorites have changed since my original post. This is partly due to the requirements of a two-year documentary project that I've been doing. It's revealed weaknesses in my kit that weren't apparent with my prior, slower-paced, work.

Also, I have a new appreciation for
...Show more

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:06 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password