2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2019 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

MikeEvangelist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned
From @MikeEvangelist

Since switching to full-frame digital in 2011, I’ve bought, used and sold a wide variety of lenses, both native and adapted, searching for just the right combination of range, performance, size and handling. I didn’t realize just how many until this week when I made a Lightroom catalog to gather all the ‘for sale’ images I’ve shot when selling some of them.

The tally? 122 lenses, bought/sold since 2011. (plus probably a dozen that I forgot about or returned almost immediately due to unexpected limitations or poor performance). The vast majority were for use on Sony full-frame cameras, after brief periods with Leica M9 & 240 and Nikon D800e. I currently have/use 9 lenses.

I’ve had much fun and learned a lot on this journey.

Expensive Lessons I’ve Paid For, So You Don’t Have To

First and foremost - It’s a fool’s game, constantly chasing after perfection. Nearly all modern full-frame lenses, from all manufacturers, can produce excellent images.

Second, I learned that although I really want/love fast lenses, I generally don’t want to carry them, or pay for them.

A few other observations

* Zeiss lenses really are special. (I’m not talking about Sony/Zeiss, but actual Zeiss-branded lenses) They are reliably excellent. (But I sure wish they still made zooms for still cameras)
* As a sub-point to that - when manual focus is appropriate, the performance and handling of the Loxia lenses is unmatched.
* Voigtlander lenses are similarly well made and also extremely gratifying to use.
* Leica lenses, while very well built and certainly made from top quality materials, don’t perform any/significantly better than the top glass from Sony/Nikon/Canon/Zeiss (but confirmation bias and placebo effect often make them seem superior, especially in the honeymoon period shortly after purchase)
* Many lenses that I originally considered to be superb, turn out to be mediocre-to-merely-good when compared to modern equivalents. (one example - classic Nikkor 50mm ƒ1.4 non-AI. Any of the modern nifty-50s put it to shame)
* Some of the later Minolta a-mount lenses are incredible performers, even today. Highlights being the 80-200mm ƒ2.8 zoom, and the 200mm ƒ2.8 HS.

Bottom Line
What really limits my satisfaction with any lens is my limited ability. It’s that simple.

Technique, skill and understanding your gear is at least 10 times more important to creating satisfying images than sharpness, centering, tilt, onion-ring bokeh, purple fringing or any other nit-picking specsmanship that dominate lens discussions these days. Buy what you can afford, learn how to use it, and have fun.

For the curious, here’s a Lightroom album with (almost) all the lenses I’ve owned during this period - https://adobe.ly/2qnFkJ6

Some Tidbits

The most expensive lenses I’ve owned
Leica 16-18-21 WATE - $4999
Leica 280mm ƒ2.8 APO - $3499

The Most Amazing for the Price
Samyang 35mm ƒ2.8 - bought for $220 - performs at a much higher level
Sony 24mm ƒ1.4 GM - world-class performance and handling for a relatively modest price (an absolute bargain compared against the similarly performing Leica 24mm ƒ1.4, which sells for about $6,000)

Most Disappointing Lens
Laowa 12mm ƒ2.8 - extremely soft unless stopped down to at least 5.6 - far overpriced, in my view
Voigtlander 40mm ƒ1.2 - Seems I maybe got a bad copy, but it was dreadful unless stopped down to ƒ4, which of course negates the whole point of this lens. (EDIT - a number of members pointed out that it was certainly a bum copy, so I'm inclined to try it again. However, it doesn't currently fit in my line-up, or budget; maybe later.)

Most Re-purchased Lenses
Sony 28mm ƒ2 - I’ve bought at least 3 of these, maybe 4. Keep trying, but it just doesn’t click.
Zeiss 12mm Touit - I’ve had three of them - No longer shoot APS-C, so don’t own one
Zess 50mm Loxia - I’m on my third one. All of them great and I regretted selling the earlier ones immediately.
Sony 70-200mm ƒ4 G - I’ve had 3 so far. Excellent, under-rated lens. But I needed a faster zoom, so am currently trying the Canon 70-200mm IS II

All-time Favorite lenses - (they produced the most images that I like the most)
1. Sony 24mm ƒ1.4 GM
2. Zeiss Loxia 50mm ƒ2
3. Zeiss Touit 12mm ƒ2.8
4. Sony/Zeiss 135mm ƒ1.8 a-mount
5. Leica 28mm ƒ2 Summicron

The Rogue's Gallery

Jan 17, 2019 at 02:36 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

It's good you keep track of them. As purely a hobbyist, I have shot the following cameras in the last 10 years: 2 Canon Rebels, Canon 5DII, 5DIII, 6D, 7D, Nikon D610, D750 (twice), D810 (twice), D500, D7200. Sony A77II, A7, A7II, A7R, A6000, A6300, A6500. Currently only have the A7RII and A7RIII with 9 or 10 E-mount lenses. Over the course I think I have bought and sold around 70-80 lenses. Agree, lighting and composition are far more important than the extra ounce of corner sharpness of a lens. .

Edited on Jan 17, 2019 at 03:38 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2019 at 02:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Short story: There is no such thing as a perfect single lens or camera.

Fast fact: The vast majority of people viewing photos have no clue what camera or lens was used, and could care less.

Good part: Those members that keep buying and selling gear provide good prices for those buying used gear on the B&S Forum.

Jan 17, 2019 at 03:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

MikeEvangelist wrote:

Technique, skill and understanding your gear is at least 10 times more important to satisfying images than sharpness, centering, tilt, onion-ring bokeh, purple fringing or any other nit-picking specsmanship that dominate lens discussions these days. Buy what you can afford, learn how to use it, and have fun.

This should be made into a sticky in big bold letters at the top of all the gear forums.

Jan 17, 2019 at 03:20 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Every lens is a compromise. Camera too Just shoot it!

Jan 17, 2019 at 03:21 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Great points Mike! I enjoyed reading it and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! I’m right there with you about the Loxia 50. Lovely lens!

Jan 17, 2019 at 03:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

You guys are just party poopers.

Hell we all know its the brains behind it all. Its all about the quest that's fun. Otherwise I would fall asleep.

Now seriously and no joking everything else is about learning what your gear is and does and more importantly at least for me keep me engaged in one the community and no kidding number 2 keeping me from complete boredom. I can shoot lights out thats not even a topic to talk about, its really keeping me alive that is more important and also learning things regardless if there mundane like onion rings and bokeh topics but keeping the brain active. I dont want to fall into that trap of not knowing about stuff and all i care about is the revenue I make. Thats boring as hell, I like playing with different gear and trying different things out. if I was in this only for the MONEY i would have a 24-70, 70-200 and 16-35 and not another damn thing. I think I would jump off a freaking building if i had those only three lenses. Frankly I have none of them.

I totally agree its about technique, skill and understanding your gear, the rest is just fun is all I'm saying. i like to have fun.

Mike I could not even think to compile a list like that. Take me about a month. Lol
Worst part would be trying to remember all of it. Not a chance in hell. Kudos for doing it

Edited on Jan 17, 2019 at 03:55 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2019 at 03:33 PM
Bokehddicted

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Thanks for sharing!

Jan 17, 2019 at 03:43 PM
Hillrg`
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

pdmphoto wrote:
Every lens is a compromise. Camera too

Photographer too.

Jan 17, 2019 at 04:47 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Thoughtful and insightful write up. Thanks Mike for taking the time to do this.

I'm pretty sure you got a lemon Voigt 40/1.2. Its an amazing lens.

I almost got the gm 24/1.4. It sure looks like a great lens. After much deliberation, I ended up getting the Milvus 25/1.4 and it is spectacular. Its one of the highest resolving lenses I have used but that's not why I love it. Its color rendition is simply second to none (out of the lenses I have used). Will post some shots but I absolutely LOVE the milvus 25. Its big, bulky and MF but totally worth it !

Jan 17, 2019 at 04:58 PM
hotel117
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

This is a great write up, and not too long so I was entertained. I doubt I'll get to 122; I think I might have hit 20. I will say this:

1. Buy what you will use. It's easy to get GAS, and I learned my lesson from using cheaper lenses on APS-C: I only need about 5 lenses to shoot everything I need, and I own 4 of them (waiting on a 70-200 at the right time). I need a WA zoom, a standard zoom, a wide-ish angle (around 35) prime and portrait prime, and a telephoto zoom. I'm not going to change lenses that often. Until Sony comes out with a 35 1.8 or the Batis 40 comes down in price, I'll hold onto what I currently have.

2. I'm comfortable with MF, but my subjects aren't always the same. As a result, I'm an all AF guy now (while I'm trying to sell my Loxia!), and I'll use MF mode when necessary.

3. I must have EXIF data. I'm too much of a volume shooter and too lazy to keep track otherwise. I wish there were a simple way to add that data to any lens (for example, contacts that you program onto an adapter, rather than modifying the lens itself), but that's just a dream. Simple solution: pony up a couple hundred extra dollars and get something that makes LR editing go by faster.

4. The Voigt you got must have been a terrible copy. I got a used one that was excellent; it wasn't sharp corner to corner until F4, and wide open the center was tricky to nail. However, it was the one lens I owned that looked better pre-corrected. It's still the only lens I've owned where OOC jpegs were excellent. Why did I sell? I'm too much of a cheapskate to have a lens worth almost a grand and for it to not have AF.

5. I disagree with your comment about Sony/Zeiss collaborations: some are very good. I think the 35 2.8 doesn't have the Zeiss rendering we expect, but the 16-35 F4 does. However, the 35 2.8 is great wide open, ultra light, has a cool hood, and is worth the money buying used.

Jan 17, 2019 at 05:12 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Great write up!!

It makes me feel better about the lenses I have and have tried since it's only maybe a dozen since the move to full frame in 2012 and switching to Sony from 2013-2015.

NEX 6 with 3 lenses for ultralight travel
16-50 kit
Samyang 12/2
Samyang 8/2.8 fisheye

A7S for nights with 2 lenses
Samyang 24/1.4
Samyang 12mm fisheye

A7R3 for landscape with 5 lenses
Voigtlander 15
Loxia 21
Sony 55/1.8
Nikon 100/2.8 E
Canon 70-200/4 IS

Each kit has a purpose.

Jan 17, 2019 at 05:56 PM
Robert E
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

If FM had a Weekly Assignment category for "Posts", this writeup by Mike would be the winner for the whole month! Absolutely awesome experiences and documentation for all of us. Thanks Mike.

Edited on Jan 17, 2019 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2019 at 06:01 PM
KarmaKramer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

I enjoyed that! But the CV40/1.2 is very sharp at 1.4 onward,you got a stinker there. Also agree about Leica's. Cool read. Realistic. I'm still not buying the 24GM for that price though

Jan 17, 2019 at 06:07 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

While I don’t agree with some of the opinion’s on all the glass listed, I do appreciate reading your lessons-learned after your 122 lens eight year adventure! A great read. Thank you !

Jan 17, 2019 at 06:24 PM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Nice review of your gear Mike. Thanks for sharing. I'm certainly in pursuit of perfection, but I've been though it many times over the years and with the Sony move a few years ago, I've learned to be more patient. I'm also not too bothered by a lens that isn't perfectly sharp corner to corner wide open. As long as it's sharp stopped down, that's fine for my landscapes and architectural work. I've been renting instead of buying when I'm not sure, and the result is that I don't purchase that many lenses anymore. I guess renting them satisfies my curiosity and my GAS enough and allows me to sit back and think about what I really need. The only lenses I wound up buying were what I'd want with me for my personal travel work. They are all small high quality FE mount lenses from Zeiss and Sony. Totally agree with you about the Sony 70-200 f4, it's perfect for travel.

Jan 17, 2019 at 06:32 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Thanks for sharing! That was a cool read.

Jan 17, 2019 at 07:27 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

hotel117 wrote:
5. I disagree with your comment about Sony/Zeiss collaborations: some are very good. I think the 35 2.8 doesn't have the Zeiss rendering we expect, but the 16-35 F4 does. However, the 35 2.8 is great wide open, ultra light, has a cool hood, and is worth the money buying used.

I agree. I like the Sony/Zeiss stuff; just not as much as 'pure' Zeiss.

Jan 17, 2019 at 07:42 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Mike,
Over the years, I have tried most of the lenses you posted (rented, reviewed, owned), except for the Minolta ones. I have to say I arrived at similar conclusions. My favorite lenses today are the Sony GM primes, Loxia line, RX1RII 35/2 Sonnar, and many Voigtlander natives like the CV 15/4.5, CV 40/1.2 and CV 110/2.5.

I do think you should give the CV 40/1.2 another try. It does not perform great at 0.7m or closer @f/1.2 but longer than that, it should be sharp even wide open.

Jan 17, 2019 at 07:46 PM
justincrabtree
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 122 Lenses in 8 years - what I learned

Thanks for sharing. It's a great read and one that I'm sure I'll read again and again.

-J

Jan 17, 2019 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.