Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
22
       23              39       40       end
  

Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


DavidBM wrote:
Right. It took me three copies to get a Sony 90 without tilt, and Roger Cicala's data suggest this wouldn't be unusual. And I'll put up with more slight difference between corners than some here.

I think the slight contrast and resolution advantage at life size I found for the Sony 90 (on a par by 1:2) ought not affect anyone's buying choices (especially given the difference is larger, in the opposite direction, at infinity). Both are terrific, and the difference in haptics and overall use cases is what you should be moved by.

(in the mean time I have both, and
...Show more

It looks like the Sony 90/2.8G deserves a lot of credit for being AF and keeping up or even exceeding in performance when compared to many newer and high IQ macro lenses. One could say it's not as corrected for axial CA but once it's stopped down to f/4, things get equalized even there.



Jul 22, 2019 at 06:27 PM
trstahly
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
It looks like the Sony 90/2.8G deserves a lot of credit for being AF and keeping up or even exceeding in performance when compared to many newer and high IQ macro lenses. One could say it's not as corrected for axial CA but once it's stopped down to f/4, things get equalized even there.


The 90 G Macro is a hell of a lens for close ups and the ease of switching from AF to MF by pulling and pushing the focus ring comes in handy when shooting flowers and a slight breeze comes and goes. I cannot imagine a Sony shooter not having this lens or at least until of late. Now there are other lenses that are pretty sweet too.

It is kind of a funky looking lens like no other Sony lens but narrow diameter fits in my cargo shorts better than most. It is great for macro and close ups like shots or at car shows.

Sometimes the results are better with the 90 G and sometimes the VC110 or 100 STF when shooting the same flowers or objects no particular rhyme or reason that I can figure out.

I am not wild about it in fact do not use it for anything other than close it is almost too clinical as a med tele or used as a regular lens. The 100 STF is ten times better for these shots in IMO or 85 Loxia or 85 GM or CV 110.

I am using my 100-400 GM and even my 400 GM also now for flowers & 100 STF but for close ups of cars and other objects the 90 G is one of my favorites.

The last shot that is out of focus I included because the background looks like a Van Gogh painting what beautiful bokeh.





















Edited on Jul 23, 2019 at 07:47 AM · View previous versions



Jul 22, 2019 at 06:58 PM
Arty73
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review




trstahly wrote:
Its a hell of a lens and for close ups the ease of which it switches from AF to MF comes in handy when shooting flowers and a slight breeze comes and goes. I cannot imagine a Sony shooter not having this lens or at least until of late. Now there are other lenses that are pretty sweet too.

It is kind of a funky looking lens like no other Sony lens but narrow diameter fits in my cargo shorts better than most. It is great for macro and close ups like shots or at car shows.

Sometimes the results are better
...Show more

Very nice! are these made with the G90mm or the CV110



Jul 23, 2019 at 02:50 AM
keithf
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


I like the CV 110mm with the Nikon Z7.

KF-20190712_0005 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190716_0159 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190716_0149 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190715_0058 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190715_0023 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190716_0110 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190716_0039 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190715_0063 by fungkeith, on Flickr

KF-20190715_0064 by fungkeith, on Flickr




Jul 23, 2019 at 07:23 AM
trstahly
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Arty73 wrote:
Very nice! are these made with the G90mm or the CV110


Those were the Sony 90 G I was responding to a post on the thread about the 90 G that Fred made. Here are a a few CV 110's


















Jul 23, 2019 at 07:34 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #6 · p.22 #6 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


trstahly wrote:
Those were the Sony 90 G I was responding to a post on the thread about the 90 G that Fred made. Here are a a few CV 110's


Beautiful samples!
I just bought the Laowa 100/2.8 2:1 macro but I don't think it will match the CV 110/2.5's contrast.



Jul 26, 2019 at 11:25 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #7 · p.22 #7 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Beautiful samples!
I just bought the Laowa 100/2.8 2:1 macro but I don't think it will match the CV 110/2.5's contrast.


Thatís for sure....



Jul 27, 2019 at 12:06 AM
alphanumeric
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #8 · p.22 #8 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Anyone still using this lens?


Aug 22, 2019 at 10:13 PM
Phillip Reeve
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #9 · p.22 #9 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


alphanumeric wrote:
Anyone still using this lens?

It is my standard tele in my 3 prime kit. I actually don't use it as a macro often but then there is no proper manual focus alternative.















Aug 22, 2019 at 10:35 PM
nicephore
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #10 · p.22 #10 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Phillip Reeve wrote:
It is my standard tele in my 3 prime kit. I actually don't use it as a macro often but then there is no proper manual focus alternative.


Beautiful set Phillip ! I really like your 2nd one (shows very nice color rendition and microcontrast) and the 4th and 6th (the ability to resist flare).
I have no used it a lot for landscapes but for macro (and really like it) but should be able to use it for landscapes in a few weeks.

View previous versions



Aug 22, 2019 at 11:38 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

pdmphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #11 · p.22 #11 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
It looks like the Sony 90/2.8G deserves a lot of credit for being AF and keeping up or even exceeding in performance when compared to many newer and high IQ macro lenses. One could say it's not as corrected for axial CA but once it's stopped down to f/4, things get equalized even there.

That is mostly true for macro/close up, but not at longer distance/infinity. The Voigtlander does a better job at the edges of the frame even stopped down to f/5.6. At least the two I tested; and I believe I have an excellent copy of the Sony 90 Macro.



Aug 22, 2019 at 11:43 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #12 · p.22 #12 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


pdmphoto wrote:
That is mostly true for macro/close up, but not at longer distance/infinity. The Voigtlander does a better job at the edges of the frame even stopped down to f/5.6. At least the two I tested; and I believe I have an excellent copy of the Sony 90 Macro.


Yes thatís my take. I prefer the Sony at life size up to 1:2; by 1:10 the cv is better and by infinity notably better (though the Sony is good)



Aug 23, 2019 at 02:45 AM
Uncle Chip
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #13 · p.22 #13 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Went back and forth between the CV110 and the Sony90 and I think I read every review on both,
My take was,
The CV was the best mid tele lens that also did great macro
The Sony was the best macro that also did good portraits

I went with the CV because it was a true MF, it was smaller closed up, and it would render closer to my other CVs, oh and I could use it to knock nails in if needed lol,
I think both are amazing lenses and seeing these great images is inspirational



Aug 23, 2019 at 03:11 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #14 · p.22 #14 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Here are three I shot with this lens a couple of weeks ago. I posted them elsewhere, so sorry if you have seen them, but I thought they should go in this thread. I shot them on the Nikon Z7. The lens works wonderfully on that camera with the techart Nikon Z camera to Sony E mount lens adapter.




  NIKON Z 7    110.0 mm f/2.5 lens    110mm    f/5.6    1/320s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  






  NIKON Z 7    110.0 mm f/2.5 lens    110mm    f/2.5    1/400s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  






  NIKON Z 7    110.0 mm f/2.5 lens    110mm    f/2.5    1/320s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  




Aug 23, 2019 at 04:45 AM
Phillip Reeve
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #15 · p.22 #15 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Steve Spencer wrote:
Here are three I shot with this lens a couple of weeks ago. I posted them elsewhere, so sorry if you have seen them, but I thought they should go in this thread. I shot them on the Nikon Z7. The lens works wonderfully on that camera with the techart Nikon Z camera to Sony E mount lens adapter.

Didn't read up on that adapter yet: Would I get correct exif and stabilizer with a Z6 and my Voigtlanders?



Aug 23, 2019 at 05:35 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #16 · p.22 #16 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Phillip Reeve wrote:
Didn't read up on that adapter yet: Would I get correct exif and stabilizer with a Z6 and my Voigtlanders?


Yes, you do. With a small caveat, you have to set the aperture on the camera to the same settings as the aperture ring. As long as you do that you get proper EXIF. The stabilization is quite good too. You also get an extra focus aid. You can move the focus box to where you want to focus and when it is in focus the box turns green. This uses the camera CDAF and it is very very accurate--I can't beat it even with magnification. I still use my eye much of the time and often with magnification, but this is a really nice focus aid.



Aug 23, 2019 at 06:43 AM
Phillip Reeve
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #17 · p.22 #17 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Steve Spencer wrote:
Yes, you do. With a small caveat, you have to set the aperture on the camera to the same settings as the aperture ring. As long as you do that you get proper EXIF. The stabilization is quite good too. You also get an extra focus aid. You can move the focus box to where you want to focus and when it is in focus the box turns green. This uses the camera CDAF and it is very very accurate--I can't beat it even with magnification. I still use my eye much of the time and often with magnification,
...Show more
Interesting. How would you rate the EVF and stabilization against Sony?



Aug 23, 2019 at 08:29 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #18 · p.22 #18 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Phillip Reeve wrote:
Interesting. How would you rate the EVF and stabilization against Sony?


I may not be the best person to ask about the EVF because I have only had an A7r II and not an r III. I like the EVF quite a bit on the Z7, however. It is nice and big with a very clear bright and detailed picture. The magnification is a bit laggy, but otherwise it is a very nice EVF. The stabilization I think is very similar to Sony in how it helps. I haven't tested it at all, however, so one could very well be better than the other, but my subjective experience is they are about the same. So, the EVF of the Z7 is certainly better than the A7r II, but I don't know if it is better than the A7r III, and it looks like the A7r IV may be even better yet and will be bigger than the Nikon, and I would think the stabilization is about the same.



Aug 23, 2019 at 10:35 AM
Phillip Reeve
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #19 · p.22 #19 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Steve Spencer wrote:
I may not be the best person to ask about the EVF because I have only had an A7r II and not an r III. I like the EVF quite a bit on the Z7, however. It is nice and big with a very clear bright and detailed picture. The magnification is a bit laggy, but otherwise it is a very nice EVF. The stabilization I think is very similar to Sony in how it helps. I haven't tested it at all, however, so one could very well be better than the other, but my subjective experience is they
...Show more
Thanks

I will probably end up with an a7rIII but never hurts to consider other options



Aug 23, 2019 at 11:40 AM
zhangyue
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #20 · p.22 #20 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review


Hi, steve,

If focus wide open a possible option? Do you have 100mm planar, how these two compare bokeh wise? I know the CA and sharpness difference but they all sharp enough for me. I am think add a ZE planar for Panasonic S1 for the focus direction and wide open focus. But this VC is contender on Z.

I always like Nikon green dot, the best focus aid even with SLR. The sad part is it is not active even with FTZ and their own AIS glass. So sad and shameful.

Steve Spencer wrote:
I may not be the best person to ask about the EVF because I have only had an A7r II and not an r III. I like the EVF quite a bit on the Z7, however. It is nice and big with a very clear bright and detailed picture. The magnification is a bit laggy, but otherwise it is a very nice EVF. The stabilization I think is very similar to Sony in how it helps. I haven't tested it at all, however, so one could very well be better than the other, but my subjective experience is they
...Show more



Aug 23, 2019 at 01:15 PM
1       2       3              21      
22
       23              39       40       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
22
       23              39       40       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password