FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              19      
       21              39       40       end

Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Magenta looks posterised a little, but I'm running a little low on K on the mid-level Eizo. I face the red highlight issue a lot, lots of lamas and anis, and I lose just a few to burn out (street work). I also use the last PS before they went 'open to the wrong people, owned by the wrong people' cloud. I've been using Joseph Holmes custom color spaces for around a decade, for their superior gamut wall handling. DCam3 is my working space, a good volume compromise and not so big a jolt from ProPhoto.

As you increase color in PS, the gamut expands in the variants he provides - you can proof the profile in PS as usual to see how smaller spaces work for final images. I never 'Save for web' as I figure it is a shortcut, rather I downsize manually in 16bit, light final sharpen (Smart Sharpen) then finally Convert to Profile before going 16bit to 8bit. Anyway, you might look into JH, if interested. People may wise up to color in the latest V lenses, but not all will see what they offer in this respect. lovely work, cheers.

Mar 31, 2019 at 04:18 PM
secondclaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Thanks for that, I am going to look into it. It's really a crappy feeling to photograph something with incredible color, get exposure just right to protect color data, see all the wonderful details on calibrated argb monitor, then shift to calibrated srgb one and see all the detail crushed, and no amount of effort, short of massive desaturation, can bring that detail back. This happens mainly in red channel for me, though I always thought main advantage of argb was in greens. Oh well, discussion for another topic. Thanks for the suggestions.

philip_pj wrote:
Magenta looks posterised a little, but I'm running a little low on K on the mid-level Eizo. I face the red highlight issue a lot, lots of lamas and anis, and I lose just a few to burn out (street work). I also use the last PS before they went 'open to the wrong people, owned by the wrong people' cloud. I've been using Joseph Holmes custom color spaces for around a decade, for their superior gamut wall handling. DCam3 is my working space, a good volume compromise and not so big a jolt from ProPhoto.

As you increase color in
...Show more

Mar 31, 2019 at 04:57 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Any data on comparing the CV 125 with this nice lens at macro distances, from about 1:2 to 1:1? It seems better at distance and has nice sun stars that the rounded blades of the 125 would not do, but haven't seen very much comparison with macro shots. I often use the 125 to chase smallish butterflies with flash or fill flash. The x/y axes stabilization of the 110 should help but not clear if the rendering/resolution is much different.

Apr 01, 2019 at 06:50 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

It's a big deal, is color. For some of us, anyway and color purity is a key reason to love our APO lenses. For PS users, the huge guidebooks go into some considerable detail as to how to manage reducing to small color spaces. The notorious space is the one still used by many book makers - CMYK separations. PS has good proofing tools for this very reason. sRBG is not so bad, usually you just see a brighter form of color as the wall compresses the 'edge of wall' content.

Michael, it would be great to see what has changed and by what degree. It's amazing none of the Youtubers can't do this kind of thing. Maybe when Canon and Nikon get fully on board and some start using the FE Voigtlanders. They remain 'our best kept secret' at present. Would be great if Mr Gandy could coax a Q and A out of the CV design management people.

Apr 01, 2019 at 07:26 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Cross posted from the main Sony image thread.

Apr 21, 2019 at 06:47 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

A couple more, with the Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm F2.5

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:27 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Dougo wrote:
A couple more, with the Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm F2.5

So beautiful - natural light, calming images. Many thanks.

Scott

Apr 23, 2019 at 08:58 AM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

smpetty wrote:
So beautiful - natural light, calming images. Many thanks.

Scott

Thank you Scott, that's very kind of you.

Cheers Ray

Apr 23, 2019 at 03:10 PM
twentysevenone
• •
p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Some really beautiful images in this threat, great work y'all. I'm considering this lens as telephoto landscape lens, has anyone used it for this purpose that can offer some thoughts?

May 10, 2019 at 01:04 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

twentysevenone wrote:
Some really beautiful images in this threat, great work y'all. I'm considering this lens as telephoto landscape lens, has anyone used it for this purpose that can offer some thoughts?

I can look and see what I have. My use for landscape images at this focal length is limited. I have tried it, however, and it is excellent. I just often for flexibility grab my C/Y 100-300 or, when I had it, the Sony 100-400 on the long end. The CV 110 is better than either at infinity, however, so if the focal length works, it is a fine choice both for infinity and close up work. It is really for me to find fault with this lens. One poster says it may not be quite as sharp as the Sony G 90 macro at 1:1 magnification though the same poster says it is likely better than the Sony at 1:2 or less magnification. It is extremely well corrected. It is reasonably compact and well built. Its bokeh is pleasant tho less ideal for portrait than say the GM 85 (or 100 STF). Its colors are beautiful, sun stars are pleasing, and it takes only 58mm filter threads. What is not to like if you can live with manual focus?

May 10, 2019 at 02:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.20 #11 · p.20 #11 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Luvwine wrote:
I can look and see what I have. My use for landscape images at this focal length is limited. I have tried it, however, and it is excellent. I just often for flexibility grab my C/Y 100-300 or, when I had it, the Sony 100-400 on the long end. The CV 110 is better than either at infinity, however, so if the focal length works, it is a fine choice both for infinity and close up work. It is really for me to find fault with this lens. One poster says it may not be quite as sharp as the
...Show more

For landscapes, the 100-400 GM has no detectable field curvature and the CV 110/2.5 has a bit.
Here is a comparison to the GM zoom at infinity:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1574251/5#14690973

Having said that, the CV 110 could replace the zoom as a light tele alternative. It pairs really nicely with the CV 65/2 for landscapes. It's surprising to me how the Voigtlander macro lenses do so well at infinity distance.

May 10, 2019 at 03:51 PM
twentysevenone
• •
p.20 #12 · p.20 #12 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Luvwine wrote:
I can look and see what I have. My use for landscape images at this focal length is limited. I have tried it, however, and it is excellent. I just often for flexibility grab my C/Y 100-300 or, when I had it, the Sony 100-400 on the long end. The CV 110 is better than either at infinity, however, so if the focal length works, it is a fine choice both for infinity and close up work. It is really for me to find fault with this lens. One poster says it may not be quite as sharp as the
...Show more

Thanks for the info. I have the 70-200/4 for my tele landscapes however I'm looking to add to my MF kit. Currently I'm running the Loxia 21, CV40 and CV65, but there is the occasional situation where I need to go longer than 65.

May 10, 2019 at 05:42 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.20 #13 · p.20 #13 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

twentysevenone wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have the 70-200/4 for my tele landscapes however I'm looking to add to my MF kit. Currently I'm running the Loxia 21, CV40 and CV65, but there is the occasional situation where I need to go longer than 65.

For manual focus, you could get the Loxia 85 or ZM 85, the CV 110, or any number of 100 or 135mm manual focus lenses with various compromises of size versus quality. Also, a good copy of the C/Y 100-300 is a fine choice with great landscape rendering. I really like both the CV 65 and 110 (and CV40 and 50/1.2). Voigtlander is really giving the Zeiss Loxia line some stiff competition. I probably use the Loxia 21 and CV 40 most of all for landscape.

May 10, 2019 at 11:13 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #14 · p.20 #14 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Some more pictures would be good

Cross posted from the main Sony thread. A7r11

May 11, 2019 at 06:40 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #15 · p.20 #15 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Same plant a little bit closer, A7r11

May 12, 2019 at 09:16 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.20 #16 · p.20 #16 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Here is one at F4:

May 12, 2019 at 10:03 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #17 · p.20 #17 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

A7r11 and Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm F2.5

May 19, 2019 at 03:32 AM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #18 · p.20 #18 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

A few from the back yard, A711

May 22, 2019 at 04:24 PM
amvoith

p.20 #19 · p.20 #19 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Dougo wrote:
A few from the back yard, A711

Very nice, handheld or tripod?

May 22, 2019 at 07:39 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.20 #20 · p.20 #20 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

amvoith wrote:
Very nice, handheld or tripod?

Cheers mate thank you, these were hand held.

May 22, 2019 at 07:47 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.