New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              39       40       end

Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

@Fred Miranda any chance of showing us some, say, f5.6 8 and 11 OOF highlights which subject at 1:2 or 1:1?

My slight worry with the ten straight blades is more visible decagons compared to the impressively smooth circles of the 9 curved blades in the Sony 90 when in actual macro use....

Dec 09, 2018 at 10:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

DavidBM wrote:
@Fred Miranda@ any chance of showing us some, say, f5.6 8 and 11 OOF highlights which subject at 1:2 or 1:1?

My slight worry with the ten straight blades is more visible decagons compared to the impressively smooth circles of the 9 curved blades in the Sony 90 when in actual macro use....

Hi David,
Here is a sample at f/7.1 and 1:1.2 (almost 1:1)
If the lens is stopped down, it will definitely show decagons as specular highlights.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:06 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi David,
If the lens is stopped down, it will definitely show decagons as specular highlights.

Huh. Thanks Fred.
I think that might mean that I need to keep the Sony 90 as a dedicated macro (I never use it as a general short tele: it's very good for that but unnecessarily large).

In which case, absolutely superb lens though it seems to be, I may find it hard to justify, although something in the 2/100 range is useful enough.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:51 AM
Taki_T

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

As a matter of interest, has anyone seen or have a link to an MTF chart for the 110?

Dec 10, 2018 at 04:40 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Taki_T wrote:
As a matter of interest, has anyone seen or have a link to an MTF chart for the 110?

CV never publish MTF charts.

But Fred's samples tell us we'd see three semi straight lines, with the lowest between 70 and 80%

Dec 10, 2018 at 05:19 AM
photosoph

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

I have a few questions about this lens, that I did not yet find answers for:

How large is it compared to the CV 65 with the hood on? Due to the recessed lens the 65 can be used without a hood, however, I would not do that with the 110. So the comparison of them being almost equal size is a little misleading.

Can the hood be turned around for compact storage?

How is the performance stopped down to f16 or 22? I found the 65 to became really weak past f11. In my studio-productphotography I often need to stop down to get enough depth of field for small objects (ranging in size between a pen and a chair). Focus stacking would be to much of an effort for reasonably quick work.

Thanks to Fred and all others for the thorough testing! I wonder, how long I can withstand...

Dec 10, 2018 at 07:04 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi David,

This is somewhat disappointing in 2018.

They go to great lengths to create an apochromatic lens, yet they can't make rounded aperture blades, which must be an easier task to accomplish. Since the aperture mechanism is old fashioned rangefinder type, they could have made 11 or more rounded aperture blades a la Sony GM lenses.

I don't care for sun stars, and the CV 110/2.5 is primarily a macro lens.

Dec 10, 2018 at 07:35 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

DavidBM wrote:
Huh. Thanks Fred.
I think that might mean that I need to keep the Sony 90 as a dedicated macro (I never use it as a general short tele: it's very good for that but unnecessarily large).

In which case, absolutely superb lens though it seems to be, I may find it hard to justify, although something in the 2/100 range is useful enough.

In actual macro use the Sony 90 G is much better corrected for CA than the ten year old Zeiss 100/2 macro, so wrt. correction of LoCA my impression is
CV 110/2.5 > Sony 90/2.8 G > Zeiss 100/2 ZF.2/ZE MP

Cosina should have gone for ultimate perfection with 15 rounded aperture blades in the CV 110/2.5. Again I don't care for sun stars.

Will Zeiss make an updated 100mm macro for Sony E mount? Hm...

Dec 10, 2018 at 07:47 AM
sebbe
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

bjornthun wrote:

They go to great lengths to create an apochromatic lens, yet they can't make rounded aperture blades, which must be an easier task to accomplish. Since the aperture mechanism is old fashioned rangefinder type, they could have made 11 or more rounded aperture blades a la Sony GM lenses.

IMO this lens is rather a perfect landscape lens with the occasional possibility to shoot macro. Something a lot of landscape photographer will like when they exploring nature.

Dec 10, 2018 at 08:04 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

I find it quite amusing that a macro lens is being branded here as a “landscape” lens (just how many landscape lenses do we need?).

Also amusing to see negative comments regarding specular highlights at 1/2X mag.

Dec 10, 2018 at 08:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

bjornthun wrote:

It's interesting that this was never an issue with the CV 65/2... It's also APO and specular highlights have even more chance to be part of the scene at 1:2 mag.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:21 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

realVivek wrote:
I find it quite amusing that a macro lens is being branded here as a “landscape” lens (just how many landscape lenses do we need?).

Also amusing to see negative comments regarding specular highlights at 1/2X mag.

We need more landscape lenses like the 65/2 and now 110/2.5 that are superb across the image from corner to corner right from wide open at any distance, have great sun-stars, and great contrast/color. They are also built like tanks and can take some abuse from field use.

Bring on an updated 180/4 APO Lanthar in the same vein as these I say.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:33 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

All lenses are compromises. Until they come up with aperture blades that are adjustable in some fashion or where you can order your own preferred aperture blade setup, there will always be those who prefer a different characteristic. Do you like pretty sunstars? Do you want perfectly round highlights? Do you want a reasonable size? These are not compatible choices but they are all valid ones. If the lens were designed as a pure portrait or pure macro lens, then rounded blades would make more sense. This lens seems, like the CV 65, to be an equally good landscape/general use lens and thus sun stars are a reasonable design goal. Which in your use will be the more commonly desired characteristic? I can certainly see the argument that sun stars are more interesting at wider focal lengths and at telephoto focal lengths a rounded aperture would make more sense. But it is what it is and those who like sun stars, apo, extraordinary sharpness, color fidelity, and manual focus will find much to like here. If you prefer rounded aperture blades, autofocus, nearly as good sharpness and apo characteristics (and can find a good copy), the Sony 90 Macro might well be the better choice for you.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

jhinkey wrote:
We need more landscape lenses like the 65/2 and now 110/2.5 that are superb across the image from corner to corner right from wide open at any distance, have great sun-stars, and great contrast/color. They are also built like tanks and can take some abuse from field use.

As Fred said, before CV released these new APO, it's hard to find any APO lens at this level. I'll get them just cause I like to have these perfectly corrected lenses for the occasional use, but I wouldn't lug them around for landscape purpose. I hope they make the 180 APO similar in size and weight of the old one. I would rather have a small and light lens for a manual focus lens.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

hiepphotog wrote:
As Fred said, before CV released these new APO, it's hard to find any APO lens at this level. I'll get them just cause I like to have these perfectly corrected lenses for the occasional use, but I wouldn't lug them around for landscape purpose. I hope they make the 180 APO similar in size and weight of the old one. I would rather have a small and light lens for a manual focus lens.

New modern releases tend to grow in size...they rarely stay the same or shrink.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

jhinkey wrote:

Yes, I thought I had it good with the ZM 85 until I put it next to the new CV 110 at infinity. It's a noticeable difference considering the ZM is amazing and close to Loxia 85's performance. The ZM does worse than that at mid-field although improves a bit at f/5.6.

Focal length plays a role here as well and it's of course a disadvantage for the ZM. That's why I stressed that the CV 110 did exceptionally well matching and even surpassing the longer Batis 135.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's interesting that this was never an issue with the CV 65/2... It's also APO and specular highlights have even more chance to be part of the scene at 1:2 mag.

It is also just about the only issue I find. Your image displayed the decagonal bokeh "balls" very clerly. These lenses are by no means bad. It's just that I will think much more carefully about Sony 90 G vs CV 110/2.5. Though the Sony 90 G is not apochromatic, it's still much better corrected than the Zeiss 100/2 MP. I have until spring/summer to do my thinking. Maybe I want both?

We are in a situation of luxury here, with several great macro lenses to choose from. Who would have thought that the mirrorless system with 3-5 lenses in 2013 is now the dominant full frame system with three apo lenses, CV 65/2, 110/2.5 and Batis 135/2.8. Only Leica has more apo lenses.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:54 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

bjornthun wrote:
Only Leica has more apo lenses.

And most are not nearly as well corrected. Even the Zeiss 135/2 'APO' can't compete with this level of axial CA correction.
There is always the option (and need) of focus stacking when shooting serious macro and the CV 110 @f/2.8 still produces rounded specular highlights.
Apertures like f/5.6 and f/8 are definitely the sweet stop but I had to go out of my way to include specular highlights when shooting near 1:1 magnification. In other words, it will be uncommon to encounter this in a macro composition.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:33 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

You so right! More landscape macro lenses are exactly what is needed!

Sun stars, yes they make or break a lens.

jhinkey wrote:

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:35 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review

I wish I had a good copy of the FE 90/2.8 Macro to test against the CV 110. Last week I tried two new copies and they were severely decentered...Not much luck when they were first introduced either...one of the reasons I gave up on it.

I only post crops from centered lenses and 'luckily' most of Voigtlander's newest designs (CV 21/3.5, CV 35/1.4, CV 65/2 and now CV 110/2.5) seem to have very low variance. Not the case with their CV 40 and CV 15 E-mount lenses.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.