1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2018 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just got a brand new MS 73/1.5 Sonnetar.

Potential issues:

1) There is a little play when rotating lens lens for focus. Is this normal?
2) The lens brings the 28/90mm framelines on my M10-R. Is this normal for this lens? I hope not.

Glad you finally got one Fred! Hope you like it and that your copy is centered and accurate as well. I got mine new at launch and it was also perfectly centered. I also purchased a new MS 24/2 and it didn’t even mount approximately—rattled around in the lens mount without locking, like it was too small. So I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s fairly pronounced copy variation and your incoming 73 behaves differently (and better I hope lol).

I have zero play on my copy.

I am 95% sure mine brings up frame lines though. I can check tomorrow night.

Jul 08, 2023 at 10:19 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Glad you finally got one Fred! Hope you like it and that your copy is centered and accurate as well. I got mine new at launch and it was also perfectly centered. I also purchased a new MS 24/2 and it didn’t even mount approximately—rattled around in the lens mount without locking, like it was too small. So I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s fairly pronounced copy variation and your incoming 73 behaves differently (and better I hope lol).

I have zero play on my copy.

I am 95% sure mine brings up frame lines though. I can check tomorrow night.
...Show more

I received my second item today, and it was a significant improvement compared to the first one. There was no looseness or play in its components, and everything worked flawlessly. However, there was still one small problem: it incorrectly displays the framelines. Interestingly, when I met Juha, I noticed that his MS 73/1.5 lens showed the correct 50/75 framelines. This indicates that the issue lies with the frameline selector piece in my lens. Despite this setback, I have decided to keep the item and modify it by shaving off that specific section to ensure it shows the correct framelines.
On another note, with Juha's assistance, I purchased a brand new MS PETZ 57mm f/2 lens (Improved type Petzval lens), and I'm thoroughly enjoying using it. I'll soon share some sample photos to showcase its unique rendering.

Jul 09, 2023 at 07:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Here is a quick sample from the MS "PETZ" 57mm f/2 showing my crazy daughters at Shibuya crossing, Tokyo.

Jul 10, 2023 at 06:25 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Had mine out this weekend

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Nehemiah,
Great shots!
Which coma setting do you have your lens set to? And what’s the optimum distance when using the RF to focus?

nehemiahphoto wrote:

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:23 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Fred Miranda wrote:
Nehemiah,
Great shots!
Which coma setting do you have your lens set to? And what’s the optimum distance when using the RF to focus?

Hi Fred!

Thanks! From a couple pages back so I’ll just quote myself:

“For those wondering, my 73/1.5 was way off when shooting WO on both my Zeiss Ikon and M240. After tinkering, the coma adjustment setting circling the rear element does affect focus accuracy. When lens was set to 1, the lens back focused to about about 18 inches when shooting WO at 10 feet on my m240. After some tries, when I put the coma adjustment setting on 5, it’s spot on WO at typical shooting distance (8-15 feet).”

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:21 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Hi Fred!

Thanks! From a couple pages back so I’ll just quote myself:

“For those wondering, my 73/1.5 was way off when shooting WO on both my Zeiss Ikon and M240. After tinkering, the coma adjustment setting circling the rear element does affect focus accuracy. When lens was set to 1, the lens back focused to about about 18 inches when shooting WO at 10 feet on my m240. After some tries, when I put the coma adjustment setting on 5, it’s spot on WO at typical shooting distance (8-15 feet).”

Thank you. I will try playing with it today and see what I find out.

Jul 11, 2023 at 03:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:

Were these samples wide open. They look plenty sharp to me.

Jul 14, 2023 at 09:55 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Fred Miranda wrote:
Were these samples wide open. They look plenty sharp to me.

Those are both at F2–I needed a bit more DOF and it was high contrast enough I didn’t want to be CA’ed to death lol

How did the coma adjustment/calibration go?

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Those are both at F2–I needed a bit more DOF and it was high contrast enough I didn’t want to be CA’ed to death lol

How did the coma adjustment/calibration go?

As you all previously pointed out, the calibration for coma in this case appears to be more accurately described as RF calibration. However, it lacks optimization for all distance settings. Therefore, one must select between close distance (MFD), mid-range, or infinity. Initially, my lens was set to "3," which provided a perfect infinity calibration. However, I decided to calibrate it to 2 meters, which works reasonably well for infinity when stopped down. Regrettably, this adjustment adversely affects the optimization for RF at the minimum focusing distance (MFD)...

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:26 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Yes—that’s ultimate why I settled at optimization WO-F2 at 8-15 feet. Like my samples above, that’s where I used the lens most often by far.

Honestly, I do love RF glass, but I am using a modded MILC and I find it not as engaging as the RF experience, but also not as limiting—especially with focus shift lenses, which are most of my RF glass sadly. For what it’s worth, the Sonnetar functions in a stock Sony pretty well.

Also, got my Q2 yesterday

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:52 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Yes—that’s ultimate why I settled at optimization WO-F2 at 8-15 feet. Like my samples above, that’s where I used the lens most often by far.

Honestly, I do love RF glass, but I am using a modded MILC and I find it now as engaging as the RF experience, but also not as limiting—especially with focus shift lenses, which are most of my RF glass sadly. For what it’s worth, the Sonnetar functions in a stock Sony pretty well.

Also, got my Q2 yesterday

How do you like it? Initially, if you are not used to the Leica SL series, it's a bit different than Sony/Fuji but the menu is rather simple and intuitive. I've played with most settings, so you are wonder about something, shoot it my way.

Jul 15, 2023 at 01:22 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Fred Miranda wrote:
How do you like it? Initially, if you are not used to the Leica SL series, it's a bit different than Sony/Fuji but the menu is rather simple and intuitive. I've played with most settings, so you are wonder about something, shoot it my way.

Initially, I have two broad thoughts. Overall usability is simply fantastically--engineered and executed just superbly. The battery and memory card doors, buttons (though I think they are a bit small) and overall balance, from the ergonomics to the grip, the lovely feel and finish. Total winner, opposite of something like a7c or RX1. I have always enjoyed Leica's logic and spartan simplicity for menus and such. Overall, it feels quite premium. The lens ergonomics and MF (best FBW I've tried) are wonderful too. I have thus far been impressed by the AF as well (though I've not pushed it). And in all but the most demanding circumstances, the camera's DR and noise profile is "sufficient" for me. 47mp is great as well.

The lens is better than I thought technically. Pinpoint sharp all over, axial CA control is wonderful, ghosting is minimal with essentially no veiling, very good colors and contrasts, stabilized, good at any distance so far--really, it's just remarkably consistent. Initially it does lack a little character, though it's better than other modern options like the 35 GM for my tastes. I do see some structure in OOF transitions zones and towards the corners, but it's not obtrusive and dig it. I find the files pleasant thus far, but not RX1 or 35 FLE wonderful. The draw is more transparent than the FLE (less micro-contrasts punch, less separation by FL and apeture, more controlled across the frame till 2.8). Those are the gold standards for me, though I realize this is a 28. I think I like it about as much as the 50 Lux and more than the 35 Lux ASPH Pre-FLE I owned in not apples-to-oranges thinking.

I find it quite stupid the camera makes you be in 2.8 in macro mode. As in really dumb. Those are my initial thoughts. I am more than luke warm but not thrilled. I do love the simplicity of the 1 prime + body set-up. For years for me it was the RX1, ZM 35/1.4, Pentax 31, Ultron 35/2, Sigma 35/2i and recently the 35 FLE. Not sure this offers a better fit than those. We'll see And to be fair, I do prefer a wide 35 to 28. And, each of those combos offers something distinct in terms of IQ, size, rendering, usability, price, etc. I am also still learning the files of the Q2, and that will take a bit to optimize my processing.

I am going to a glacier hike tomorrow where the Q2 will get some run and I'll pop on a BPM 1/4 to soften the harshness of the snow in broad daylight. I'll probably have some questions after that

Edited on Jul 15, 2023 at 03:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2023 at 02:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Initially, I have two broad thoughts. Overall usability is simply fantastically--engineered and executed just superbly. The battery and memory card doors, buttons (though I think they are a bit small) and overall balance, from the ergonomics to the grip, the lovely feel and finish. Total winner, opposite of something like a7c or RX1. I have always enjoyed Leica's logic and spartan simplicity for menus and such. Overall, it feels quite premium. The lens ergonomics and MF (best FBW I've tried) are wonderful too. I have thus far been impressed by the AF as well (though I've not pushed it). And
...Show more

Great initial thoughts/samples and I agree with everything you wrote. The beauty is taking it alone with you and be force to shoot wide. It does not disappoint, especially when traveling since you can enjoy both AF and MF in one camera/lens system.

Jul 15, 2023 at 02:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Yukosteel borrowed my 73/1.5 lens and found that the protective ring of the Leica 35/1.4 fits perfectly, functioning as a mini hood.
(see images)

FLE protective ring on Sonnetar

FLE protective ring on Sonnetar

Jul 18, 2023 at 09:35 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

Good find on the hood! Not sure if you know, but the 73 Sonnetar takes a normal 49 filter, just reversed so the threads catch.

View previous versions

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:24 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Good find on the hood! Not sure if you know, but the 73 Sonnetar takes a normal 49 filter, just reversed so the threads catch.

Thanks for the tip on reversing a 49mm filter, I didn't know that!

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:51 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

A few from The Sonnetar wide open:

LEICA M10-R    MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar lens    73mm    f/3.4    1/180s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10-R    MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar lens    73mm    f/1.4    1/60s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10-R    MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar lens    73mm    f/2.4    1/60s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 24, 2023 at 02:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

More Sonnetar!!!

I had just acquired the lens that day and was testing for RF accuracy. It didn't disappoint.

LEICA M10-R    MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar lens    73mm    f/2.8    1/60s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10-R    MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar lens    73mm    f/1.4    1/90s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10-R    MS Optics 73mm f/1.5 Sonnetar lens    73mm    f/1.4    1/60s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 24, 2023 at 09:12 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · MS Optics Sonnetar 73mm f1.5

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Initially, I have two broad thoughts. Overall usability is simply fantastically--engineered and executed just superbly. The battery and memory card doors, buttons (though I think they are a bit small) and overall balance, from the ergonomics to the grip, the lovely feel and finish. Total winner, opposite of something like a7c or RX1. I have always enjoyed Leica's logic and spartan simplicity for menus and such. Overall, it feels quite premium. The lens ergonomics and MF (best FBW I've tried) are wonderful too. I have thus far been impressed by the AF as well (though I've not pushed it). And
...Show more

Great observations about the Q. That b&w car shot really demonstrates the dimensional rendering the Q lens gives at close to medium distance. I'm convinced this is a benefit of using a lens left mostly uncorrected for distortion then correcting it in software. To my eye the result is like a de-fished fisheye with a hint of a de-squeezed anamorphic

I know many say this level of distortion correction results in an observable loss of micro contrast, but if there is any, I just can't see it. Same with sharpness across the frame. Amazing results considering the amount of distortion being corrected.

The f/2.8 limit in macro mode is due to the IQ loss you'd see if they let you shoot at f/2 or 1.7. Leica didn't want us to get soft results at macro distances. If you've ever tried to use the Fujifilm X100F at f/2 and MFD, that's what I think they were trying to prevent. Ever put the 28 Lux on a macro adapter on mirrorless and shot it at macro distance wide open? It looks terrible. But the 28 Lux at f/2.8 looks great at macro distances, just like the Q. If you want more shallow DOF than what the Q provides at f/2.8 in macro mode, then leave it at f/1.7 in non-macro mode and crop instead – results are pretty good from doing that.

Shot at f/1.7 and cropped instead of using macro mode

LEICA Q (Typ 116)    28.0 mm f/1.7 lens    28mm    f/1.7    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:03 PM
       8       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.