Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2018 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

EKhatch wrote:
Does anyone know if the Gabale L-bracket would be able to acomodate a 1/4 screw with a d-ring (plate to camera body) to be able to use a Peak Design anchor?

This is the kind of screw I am referring to.

https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Shaft-D-ring-Camera-Screw/dp/B006GB5MDW

Thanks

I use the Gabale L Bracket with the Peak design anchors. It woks very nice. It is best if you don't use a D-ring. Just mount the anchor cable between the bracket and the camera. This allows it to be tucked into the rectangular opening and out of the way when not in use on a strap. The whole thing then mounts to Arca Swiss without removing anything.

Jan 23, 2019 at 12:22 AM
scalanc2
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Could you show an example of your solution?

Jan 23, 2019 at 05:05 AM
nhsonyshooter
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've been using the RRS L-plate since the A7R III was released. No regrets.
However, there are plenty great alternatives available currently.

When traveling light, I prefer the Markins. It's light, low profile and very well built. Unfortunately not cheap either.

Like the size of that one. Never heard of them before. Does it twist or flex at all? You must trust it obviously so probably a dumb question. Seems very low profile which is really nice.

Jan 23, 2019 at 05:54 AM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I have the gabale and it’s a perfect fit. I only like the brackets that cover the battery door because it helps with the “dangling pinky” issue.

Jan 23, 2019 at 07:45 AM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

The Gabale sounds perfect to me.
The only problem is that I ordered one which never arrived (Italy).
Anyhow the completely and quickly refounded.

Jan 23, 2019 at 08:15 AM
Blueshound
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I followed a similar route to Fred's, i.e. I started with an RRS, but all pros and cons taken into consideration, it just adds too much weight to the camera. (I don't love the battery door thing, but can live with it.) I typically leave the bottom plate attached, even when not intending tripod use, and only carry or attach the vertical part is a tripod will be used.

I then ordered a Markins, which I like much better (lighter, low profile but still rigid, solid). The Markins bottom plate doesn't extend all the way across the bottom, so doesn't provide the extra pinky support, but I can happily live without that in exchange for less weight, both in the hand and in the bag. The Markins also doesn't cover the battery door, so no issue there.

I'm sidestepping the issue of cost, as it means different things to different people. I probably should sell my RRS, but have just been too lazy to advertise it.

Brian

Jan 23, 2019 at 08:47 AM
EKhatch
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Ah, I get it.

One solution I've adopted before many of the plate makers started adding strap bosses to their plates was to get Luma Loops membrane connector. This is something that slips between the plate and the camera and has a loop on one end. The material was made out of the same rubbery stuff they build inflatables out off. Very, very, very strong, with no stretch, yet thin enough to fit between the plate and camera. Worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, they do not seem to offer it anymore. You might want to contact them to see if they have
...Show more

Oh yeah, I forgot all about those. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to see if I can find any, or something similar.

1bwana1 wrote:
I use the Gabale L Bracket with the Peak design anchors. It woks very nice. It is best if you don't use a D-ring. Just mount the anchor cable between the bracket and the camera. This allows it to be tucked into the rectangular opening and out of the way when not in use on a strap. The whole thing then mounts to Arca Swiss without removing anything.

So you just have the PD anchor cord sandwiched between the plate and the camera body? Wouldn't that prevent the plate from sitting flush with the body and cause it to wobble/shift around? Any chance you could provide a picture of your solution? Thanks

Jan 23, 2019 at 08:56 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Blueshound wrote:
I followed a similar route to Fred's, i.e. I started with an RRS, but all pros and cons taken into consideration, it just adds too much weight to the camera. (I don't love the battery door thing, but can live with it.) I typically leave the bottom plate attached, even when not intending tripod use, and only carry or attach the vertical part is a tripod will be used.

I then ordered a Markins, which I like much better (lighter, low profile but still rigid, solid). The Markins bottom plate doesn't extend all the way across the bottom, so doesn't provide
...Show more

I’m thinking of selling my RRS as I really only need a lighter vertical L bracket. I have a grip extension from Meike that incorporates a horizontal plate. Maybe get the Markins . Anyone want a RRS let me know

Jan 23, 2019 at 09:06 AM
scrappydog
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

GMPhotography wrote:
I’m thinking of selling my RRS as I really only need a lighter vertical L bracket. I have a grip extension from Meike that incorporates a horizontal plate. Maybe get the Markins . Anyone want a RRS let me know

I have the Markins. It's great. Really small and light. A nice feature is that it is modular, too, with the portrait section being removable.

Jan 23, 2019 at 09:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Okay just ordered the Small rig. I’ll sell my RRS as I really can get buy with a cheaper setup

Jan 23, 2019 at 09:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

nhsonyshooter wrote:
Like the size of that one. Never heard of them before. Does it twist or flex at all? You must trust it obviously so probably a dumb question. Seems very low profile which is really nice.

It's solid. It's the L-bracket I use the most.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:19 AM
httivals
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I also recently purchased the Markins L bracket based on Fred's suggestion in another post/thread. I had tried a less expensive generic one from B&H with the same design as the Markins, but it was heavier than I wanted. The Markins bracket is noticeably lighter and very well made and does the job well.

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's solid. It's the L-bracket I use the most.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:22 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

GMPhotography wrote:
Okay just ordered the Small rig. I’ll sell my RRS as I really can get buy with a cheaper setup

I've read reports that the Small rig arca plate does not fit well with the RRS ball heads. Let us know Guy!

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:12 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've read reports that the Small rig does not work well with the RRS ball heads. Let us know Guy!

I will keep this updated. I did list my RRS on the B&S

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:13 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I can confirm this. The smallrig does not work well with the RRS quick release level plate !

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:14 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Picture This! wrote:
I can confirm this. The smallrig does not work well with the RRS quick release level plate !

Damn to small to big

I actually have the Pano Head. BH 40 with Pano

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:21 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

The SR is too big. The lever on the RRS quick release plate that I have mounted on my arca swiss P0 wont close fully with the smallrig.

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:25 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I really wanted to like the smallrig. But there are two major annoyances with it. One was the RRS QR plate not locking fully. I dont know if its RRS plate no adhering to arca swiss standards or the SR. The other annoyance I have with the SR is that there is some play between the camera and the plate even after tightening the mounting screws quite a bit.

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:28 PM
EKhatch
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

Don't most lever release clamps have a bit of room for adjustment? I'm not at home right now to look at mine and haven't actually test fit my SmallRig plate in my RRS clamp yet so now I am worried. lol

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:34 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · A7R III L-plate...cheap/solid or buy/cry?

I use this one from eBay and it fits just fine. If anyone is interested I can post photos of it mounted on my A7rIII. $13.85 (black version) from China (slow shipping, probably 30+ days) or $13.85 + $1.89 for SpeedPAK shipping (probably around 14 days).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Release-L-Plate-Bracket-Holder-hand-Grip-For-Sony-A9-A7M3-A7R3-Camera-/173701643883?var=&hash=item28716cbe6b

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Release-L-Plate-Bracket-Holder-hand-Grip-For-Sony-A9-A7M3-A7R3-Camera-/254033340819?var=&hash=item3b25912993

Jan 23, 2019 at 01:39 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.