Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              55      
56
       end
  

In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

  
 
LBJ2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #1 · p.56 #1 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


rvh23 wrote:
Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen anything interesting from Zeiss (for Sony E) since the Loxia 25, which is quite a while ago now. They seem instead to be focusing on high $$$ cine and industrial lenses now and appear to have abandoned 'regular' shooters. My suspicion is that it's because they no longer have the IQ advantage they once had over the competition.

And yes, this camera is pure marketing nonsense that was DOA. They seem to have jumped the shark with this one.


Zeiss seems to be heavy into smart phone optics these last few years and of course still a strong supplier to the Cinema industry. Sony seems to have hit their optics stride and then some with their latest GM technology and with so many affordable 3rd party alternatives, I do wonder what Zeiss could bring to emount that would generate enough buyers/revenue at a price point that makes sense for Zeiss.

Personally, I don't miss Zeiss lenses, as I see the Zeiss logo etched on my Zeiss specs every time I put them on. Zeiss Micro Contrast all day long! 😎

I haven't looked for a while. Zeiss seems to be doing extremely well otherwise.

Annual Report 2020/21
https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/annual-report/home.html



Apr 12, 2022 at 02:41 PM
nehemiahphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #2 · p.56 #2 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


I know itís very much a preference issue, and not everybody sees/values optical output the same way, but I have a pretty strong preference for Zeiss colors and microcontrast over about anything on the market. At their best, Zeissí more recent consumer lenses like the ZM 35/1.4, Loxia 85 or 21 or Batis 18 render with an acuity and richness that goes beyond sheer sharpness to my eyes.

Having shot many makers, the Batis 18 and Loxia 21 I thought rendered photos preferentially over the Sony G20 or Sigma 14-24 or Tamron 17-28, but I donít think a lot of people will pay a premium for that. Which I think thatís why Zeiss has largely abandoned the field. That, and over the last 25 years, they just donít seem to integrate tech as well as a lot of the bigger makers. Seems like itís always an uphill battle for them.

Edited on Apr 13, 2022 at 01:06 PM · View previous versions



Apr 12, 2022 at 02:56 PM
Kalainen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #3 · p.56 #3 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


LBJ2 wrote:
Zeiss seems to be heavy into smart phone optics these last few years and of course still a strong supplier to the Cinema industry. Sony seems to have hit their optics stride and then some with their latest GM technology and with so many affordable 3rd party alternatives, I do wonder what Zeiss could bring to emount that would generate enough buyers/revenue at a price point that makes sense for Zeiss.

Personally, I don't miss Zeiss lenses, as I see the Zeiss logo etched on my Zeiss specs every time I put them on. Zeiss Micro Contrast all day long!
...Show more

From the report:
"The market for cine lenses developed very moderately again in fiscal year 2020/21, as almost all film productions worldwide came to a halt in the course of the pandemic and have not yet been fully resumed. From a long-term perspective, the uninterrupted demand will have a positive effect. By contrast, the market for camera lenses shrank significantly and irreversibly, mainly as a result of increasing smartphone photography. ... ZEISS counters this by expanding its strategic partnerships for mobile imaging. Despite growth in the market for cine lenses, increased competitive pressure is expected due to the entry of new competitors from Asia."





Apr 12, 2022 at 04:59 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #4 · p.56 #4 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


The wheels started wobbling on the CZ management car about ten years back. They abandoned all pretence at producing new full ranges, except for Milvus which was an ill-fated end-of-DSLR effort. Even that had some remodelled lenses.

The f1.4 Milvuses and the last Otuses should scotch any notions of others catching up however, for *photographic* purposes and the Zeiss look. As if it was a measure in the first place, like your bank account. These are magnificent lenses, some are likely to be 'best ever' optics, up there with the SL lenses.

In particular, the 35/1.4 and Otus 100/1.4, 28/1.4. To my vision, the CZ colour model has always been better than that of Leica, with greater subtlety and photorealism and tonal depiction. It's simply that these qualities are not valued as highly as some other new age features people desire. So that is what we lost in the narrowing of the modern age.

Even in the older days of the late 20C, they were never significantly interested in commercial market success, no MF lens maker could be. So they simply produced their best efforts and whatever happened, happened. I like that about them. Sounds like an obit, doesn't it? But their place in history cannot be erased, among the cognoscenti at least.



Apr 12, 2022 at 05:31 PM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #5 · p.56 #5 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


philip_pj wrote:
The wheels started wobbling on the CZ management car about ten years back. They abandoned all pretence at producing new full ranges, except for Milvus which was an ill-fated end-of-DSLR effort. Even that had some remodelled lenses.

The f1.4 Milvuses and the last Otuses should scotch any notions of others catching up however, for *photographic* purposes and the Zeiss look. As if it was a measure in the first place, like your bank account. These are magnificent lenses, some are likely to be 'best ever' optics, up there with the SL lenses.

In particular, the 35/1.4 and Otus 100/1.4, 28/1.4. To
...Show more

Fair enough. But that doesnít explain the idiocy that led to the ZX1 fiasco.



Apr 12, 2022 at 08:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #6 · p.56 #6 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


Photonstophotos tested the Zeiss ZX1 sensor.

Here is a link showing the ZX1 compared to the Sony RX1R II:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20DSC-RX1RM2,Zeiss%20ZX1







Jun 12, 2022 at 11:18 PM
leonasj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #7 · p.56 #7 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


as shoot jpeg only im sold old canon eos R with higher DR, for high DR got gfx50R


Jun 13, 2022 at 02:12 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #8 · p.56 #8 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


philip_pj wrote:
The wheels started wobbling on the CZ management car about ten years back. They abandoned all pretence at producing new full ranges, except for Milvus which was an ill-fated end-of-DSLR effort. Even that had some remodelled lenses.


The Milvus 50 Makro Planar is the exact same lens optically as the previous one, but almost double the size as the lens case had to match the new design look. The 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 were improved optically. The Milvus line should have been AF to go against Sigma Art lenses.




Jun 13, 2022 at 10:54 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

gordec
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #9 · p.56 #9 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


We need a real successor to RX1Rii, and it doesn't need to be from Sony. Q2 is not an alternative. It's much heavier and larger. ZX1 isn't smaller nor does it have better image quality.


Jun 13, 2022 at 12:28 PM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #10 · p.56 #10 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


At this point even I canít muster up the energy to write another anti-ZX1 post.


Jun 13, 2022 at 03:57 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #11 · p.56 #11 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


gordec wrote:
We need a real successor to RX1Rii, and it doesn't need to be from Sony. Q2 is not an alternative. It's much heavier and larger. ZX1 isn't smaller nor does it have better image quality.


Only way I'd go for a fixed lens camera today is if it had a medium format sensor.



Jun 13, 2022 at 04:13 PM
Sauseschritt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #12 · p.56 #12 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


genji wrote:
At this point even I canít muster up the energy to write another anti-ZX1 post.


A somewhat cheaper and better and maybe a bit smaller Leica Q was really all that was needed.

Instead they went for an impractical lifestyle statement for people with more money than brains.



chez wrote:
Only way I'd go for a fixed lens camera today is if it had a medium format sensor.


The only way I could see that working well would be if the sensor was curved.

Medium format doesnt need compact cameras, because they wouldnt be compact and on medium format you can get the advantage of central shutter in the lens anyway.



Jun 15, 2022 at 02:22 AM
JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #13 · p.56 #13 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


Sauseschritt wrote:
Medium format doesnt need compact cameras, because they wouldnt be compact and on medium format you can get the advantage of central shutter in the lens anyway.


Would you not be interested in a high quality medium format camera + 2.8 lens combo the size of say an α7 C + a compact G series prime? One that had stabilization, linear motors, etc?

I might rather opt in for a 35mm format f2 fixed lens combo myself for the greater intensity of light making AF easier on the cameraóand it might be a hard choice between that and a 1.4 aps-c fixed lens combo (should we ever be so lucky to have so much choice in the matter) depending on how meaningful the intensity gap of 2 and 2.8 would be, but I can't deny the potential appeal of a medium format fixed lens combo the size of what is currently extreme compact for an ILC.

No assumptions as to how old you might be, but growing up shooting film the dream was always to go for something like a Plaubel Makina 67. While you can get equivalence of DoF and angle of view on smaller formats you always have to push harder to get the same amount of quality that comes with a larger sensor's more generous total sensor size and pixel pitch. The same amount of residual SA that might be tolerable to IQ on a 35mm format sensor could be barely noticeable on larger formats and downright distracting on an aps-c frame, etc. While I would draw the line at anything I buy needing to work in winter here, and anything I buy needing to work as an all day carry (f2 fixed lens medium format probably wouldn't work) I think a f2.8 medium format fixed lens compact would really be a unique product on the market.



Jun 15, 2022 at 06:04 AM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #14 · p.56 #14 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


JVan_02 wrote:
I think a f2.8 medium format fixed lens compact would really be a unique product on the market.

First question would be: what kind of medium format are we talking about?
If it is Fullframe+ (44x33mm) I hardly see any appeal for a fixed f/2.8 compact considering we have already something like the RX1 and Q series.

So, unique: yes. Useful? Not so sure about that.



Jun 15, 2022 at 06:17 AM
JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #15 · p.56 #15 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera


BastianK wrote:
First question would be: what kind of medium format are we talking about?
If it is Fullframe+ (44x33mm) I hardly see any appeal for a fixed f/2.8 compact considering we have already something like the RX1 and Q series.

So, unique: yes. Useful? Not so sure about that.


Well, we could scale things as needed. At a 44 x 33 size, perhaps we could get a 2.4 fixed compact to reach the equivalence I was talking about. I'd hope though, with the possibility of a curved sensor only really making sense in a fixed lens compact (you'd need to change the curve for each lens if you really wanna optimize the hell out of it) and Sony's recent history of shrinking lenses that we could really reach a full fat MF equivalence.

Would you rather have a crop MF 40mm f2.4 the size of an α7 C + compact G series or a direct successor to the rx1r ii? Keep in mind, if you keep the Sonnar you're stuck with unit focus for the lens and I don't know if they have the room to optically stabilize that lens. It's exceptionally svelte.



Jun 15, 2022 at 06:38 AM
1       2       3              55      
56
       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              55      
56
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password