In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

trstahly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

KarmaKramer wrote:
No interest...

I am not sure who this camera is for?

It is larger and heavier than a a7rIII w/35 F2 Sonnar, has limited controls, my iPhone xsMax has 512GB of storage and edits and shares images and even prefills the email address to commonly used email addresses and lets me group send etc.

As far as I can tell the only thing this camera has going for it is 37MP which the 3 year old RX1R II beats handily and has an equivilent lens.

I can see a large company who spends money like it grows on trees or well to do person wanting a phone where he feels it is easier to snap edit and share than a smartphone buying one. I am sure with a regular camera ergo and shutter release it is easier to snap edit and possibly easier to send than my iPhone but for $3-$4,000?

Surely we will see APS-C or 1" sensor cameras doing the same thing within a year if not sooner. Who needs 37MP and that kind of a lens for that kind of work?

I may be missing something but why would a person buy one of these instead of a used RX1R II for $1,900?

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:16 PM
Coup330

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Shutter speed says 1/8000 on the spec sheet, but not sure if that applies for WO.

leaf shutter 1/1000s and electronic shutter 1/8000s

other information:
- there will be a Sigma Flash exclusively for this camera

- the grip will habe some sort of rubber, probably from the lens line

- light weather sealing (not water resistant)

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Yes, but I think that design is predicated on the lens elements being so close to the sensor in a way not possible with an ILC. Hopefully Sony keep pumping out the rx1 series...weird it's been 3 years though and seems like the only repalcement we've heard about is the ZX1.

Mr Miranda predicted October for the RX1rIII

Edited on Sep 27, 2018 at 03:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:17 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

Maybe Samsung also?

realVivek wrote:
Is this made by Sigma?

Sigma flash compatibility and DP Quattro design similarities...

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:17 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

No one is bothered about the lack of information on the AF?!

CDAF like the Leica Q or with PDAF as in the RX1R II?

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:20 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

Coup330 wrote:
leaf shutter 1/1000s and electronic shutter 1/8000s

other information:
- there will be a Sigma Flash exclusively for this camera

- the grip will habe some sort of rubber, probably from the lens line

- light weather sealing (not water resistant)

Mr Miranda predicted October for the RX1rIII

I thought we'd get one this fall as well, but now I don't know. Let's hope he's right.

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:27 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

realVivek wrote:
No one is bothered about the lack of information on the AF?!

CDAF like the Leica Q or with PDAF as in the RX1R II?

Not only not much on AF, but also very little emphasis on video.

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:30 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

nehemiahphoto wrote:

i'm cool with it not having both those.

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:34 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

sebboh wrote:
i'm cool with it not having both those.

Ditto, just surprised given how forward looking the camera feels

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:35 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

Fred Miranda wrote:
Does this mean no more Sony RX1R III ?

I don't think this means no RX1RIII, but I do think that will wait until Sony is ready to make the next big leap up the MP ladder. This camera has some nice features, but nothing that blows the little guy out of competition.

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:44 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

Looks like they’re trying to do what Samsung tried, integrating a top-notch camera with sharing functionality. Samsung failed.

Interesting concept, but absolutely no appeal for me.

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LBJ2
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

trstahly wrote:
I am not sure who this camera is for?

It is larger and heavier than a a7rIII w/35 F2 Sonnar, has limited controls, my iPhone xsMax has 512GB of storage and edits and shares images and even prefills the email address to commonly used email addresses and lets me group send etc.

As far as I can tell the only thing this camera has going for it is 37MP which the 3 year old RX1R II beats handily and has an equivilent lens.

I can see a large company who spends money like it grows on trees or well to do person
...Show more

"I am not sure who this camera is for?"
The tipping point has to start somewhere. Maybe this camera is a a peek into the future.

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:49 PM
trstahly
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

freaklikeme wrote:
I don't think this means no RX1RIII, but I do think that will wait until Sony is ready to make the next big leap up the MP ladder. This camera has some nice features, but nothing that blows the little guy out of competition.

Totally agree.

If Sony has let this much time go by before updating the II with later sensor tech and AF they probably are not going to release it until they bump the 42MP to whatever on the A9r / a7rIV. It only makes sense.

I would grealy perfer a 28mm lens of equal or better quality wihch should be able to be slightly smaller because if you have 60+ MP the usablilty of a RX1R III with 28mm and high resolution 35 & 50MP crop modes would make it a very formidable camera.

One that could stand the test of time over the next three years or longer. I mean I am a fan of MP but why would you ever NEED to have more than 60MP in a compact camera? At least for the next several years but a III with 42MP makes about as much sense as a A9 II with 24MP.

Sep 27, 2018 at 03:52 PM
bwcolor
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

nehemiahphoto wrote:

Just like a bind date....no mention of pdaf=no pdaf.

My interest is gone for now. Maybe reviews will change my perspective. Leaf shutter is a plus. I'm pretty sure that automatic uploads for backup will come. Ergonomics and focusing would be my main concern. I'm pretty sure that image quality will be a big plus.

Edited on Sep 27, 2018 at 04:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:03 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

This would be available through “select” dealers only? Limited edition camera?

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:14 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

I think it is a really interesting camera. I'm not going to get it as I like to change lenses, but it is a very interesting concept with likely some bugs to be worked out. What I really like is the big EVF on the upper left, I would like that in almost all my cameras. The lens also looks great and I love the built-in memory. I like that there is a dial for shutter speed, one for ISO, and the aperture is controlled on the lens--all very nice. Things I may be issues to at least some include likely the AF. It looks like you will have to select AF with the touch screen. That wouldn't be my choice although it will be aide by the EVF being in the upper right if you are a right eye shooter. The downside is this camera will be next to impossible to use if you are a left eye shooter (your face will be in the way of the touch screen and your selection of AF). It seems likely the AF will be contrast detect, which for this sort of camera I think would be fine, but I am sure some will complain. It won't be great for shooting action, but I think that is too much to expect. I also would love to see it 150g lighter, but I could certainly live with the 800g. Overall, I think it is a very nice entry for this sort of camera and I don't even think it is all that ugly

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:30 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

Seems like a slightly different audience than the market Sony is targeting with the rx1 series: That new Zeiss is comparatively big (also big in-built memory and battery, unlike the rx1), very stylish and forward thinking in that it comes with few manual controls. Meanwhile, the Sony provides more traditional camera control and the smallest possible form factor for a high resolution FF camera.

Personally, given the brand power of the blue label and the forward thinking design choices they made, I wouldn't be surprised, if this sold well. Then again, they won't sell one of those to this cranky, old guy. I'm too old school for those sort of controls (or the lack thereof) . Now, the Batis 40, that's a different matter altogether (G.A.S. rears its ugly head).

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:34 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

Fred Miranda wrote:
Which one is better? Distagon 35/2 (ZX1) or Sonnar 35/2 (RX1) ??

Just as long as it's not like the Lox 35/2

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

Steve Spencer wrote:
I think it is a really interesting camera. I'm not going to get it as I like to change lenses, but it is a very interesting concept with likely some bugs to be worked out. What I really like is the big EVF on the upper left, I would like that in almost all my cameras. The lens also looks great and I love the built-in memory. I like that there is a dial for shutter speed, one for ISO, and the aperture is controlled on the lens--all very nice. Things I may be issues to at least some
...Show more

This twitter page: https://twitter.com/LesNumsPhoto

Wrote:
"Good no price but apparently autofocus hybrid phase and contrast"

There is no confirmation at the moment.

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

jhinkey wrote:
Just as long as it's not like the Lox 35/2

Hey, be nice to the Lox 35. I really like this Biogon.

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:38 PM
Coup330

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · In-Stock: 37MP Zeiss ZX1 full frame camera

whumber wrote:
1920x1080x3 = 6.2M. 1 pixel is comprised of 3 dots. The 3.69M dot EVF in the A7RIII, for example, has a total of 1.223M pixels at 1280x960 (approx).

re-reading the spec sheet, ....

...zeiss is writing for the evf 1920x1080px. px=pixels to me, so to speak 2million pixels
...and for the lcd 1280x720px, which means 920k pixels

or is it a typo?

Will probably have to wait and see.

Sep 27, 2018 at 04:39 PM
1       2       3       4      
       6              56       57       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              56       57       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.