New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              40       41       end

Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Yea looks like more purple fringing but if you look at F2 I see a big jump in sharpness on the 50. Honestly Iíll never shoot it at 1.2 but more like 1.6 or 1.7 whichever comes up. Itís like any other 1.4 lens of even the highest quality that 1/3 of a stop is usually so much better at 1.6 or so. To me more typical than not. Really whatís going to count is the ability to focus at 1.2 or so. Thatís a big one in lower light. Iím also betting that with focus peaking on your going to see more points on the 50 because of the slightly higher contrast. Thatís one thing Iím seeing in this test is the micro contrast and or higher contrast in the 50 at all apertures

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:15 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

freaklikeme wrote:
Am I the only one seeing the center 50 crop as significantly worse that the 40 wide open?

nope.

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:26 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

I donít mind the smidge of extra purple or difference in sharpness, I was just affirming freaklikeme as thatís what I noticed on the first crops.

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

freaklikeme wrote:
Am I the only one seeing the center 50 crop as significantly worse that the 40 wide open?

I noticed that as well and was also puzzled. I will test this further and post an update if needed.

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Update: I'm blaming this on focus shift!

Disregard the "f/1.2" comparison for center, mid and extreme corners. (now removed from the first page)

Only f/2 and smaller apertures' crops were accurate and here is why:
The f/1.2 crops had been 'focused' at f/2 and then I just opened the aperture to f/1.2 without refocusing. I did that because I thought focus shift was not an issue with the 50/1.2 from a preliminary test but that's definitely not the case. The below comparison shows both lenses are very similar when focused at f/1.2!

So, I'm certain that focus shift was the reason for this discrepancy. From what's worth, they perform similarly at f/1.2 and the 50mm does slightly better at center with smaller apertures.

Both lenses focused at f/1.2 (No significant difference)

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:59 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

I still see the 40 has having better IQ in the center wide open.

Edited on Sep 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2018 at 02:15 AM
sebbe
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Did you turn the automatic CA-correction off?
I'm asking because of the 50mm shots looking sharp but there is a lack of details especially around contrasty areas. And I can see also halos (roofs to mountains) and a magenta cast in very busy areas (foliage). All that looks much better after f2.

If it is on, it would explain my findings and it seems that this lens has a lot of CA with the fastest apertures (even more than the CV40).

Sep 14, 2018 at 02:39 AM
robsonj
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

This is a huge deal, same filter size as my Loxia 21, CV35 & 40

Fred Miranda wrote:
No hood. Just caps. It has 52mm filter thread just like your other Loxias.

Sep 14, 2018 at 04:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

robsonj wrote:
This is a huge deal, same filter size as my Loxia 21, CV35 & 40

Same here another reason I went for it was 52 as my Loxia 25/85 and now want to grab the 35 as well.

Sep 14, 2018 at 05:08 AM
robsonj
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

My 50 should be here today to complete my noKtilux set 😂

GMPhotography wrote:
Same here another reason I went for it was 52 as my Loxia 25/85 and now want to grab the 35 as well.

Sep 14, 2018 at 06:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

I just got the "optional" hood and will post a picture showing show it looks with the lens.

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:58 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

sebbe wrote:
Did you turn the automatic CA-correction off?
I'm asking because of the 50mm shots looking sharp but there is a lack of details especially around contrasty areas. And I can see also halos (roofs to mountains) and a magenta cast in very busy areas (foliage). All that looks much better after f2.

If it is on, it would explain my findings and it seems that this lens has a lot of CA with the fastest apertures (even more than the CV40).

It was off 'in-camera' an in Lightroom but that does not matter as some lenses apply correction to the RAW file anyways. The only way to really know if to tape the electronic contacts. I will check this in detail when I test it for LaCA and LoCA. My preliminary test shows they have very similar color aberration correction.

Sep 14, 2018 at 09:01 AM
sebbe
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
It was off 'in-camera' an in Lightroom but that does not matter as some lenses apply correction to the RAW file anyways. The only way to really know if to tape the electronic contacts. I will check this in detail when I test it for LaCA and LoCA. My preliminary test shows they have very similar colour aberration correction.

I had the same question with the Tamron 28-75 a few weeks ago. As far as I remember it was impossible (or difficult?) to deselect it in LR with certain lenses (like you wrote) but it's easy to uncheck it in capture one. If you don't use C1 you can send me the raw file of the f1.2 to f2.8 shots and I test it. But it will be Sunday and maybe I'm just wrong with all my considerations.

Sep 14, 2018 at 09:36 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Fred, in your opinion how this compare with Summicron-M 50 or with Lox 50? Just your impression. Regards and thanks for the very interesting review

Sep 14, 2018 at 09:43 AM
ifthenelse

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

pdmphoto wrote:
I'd still see the 40 has having better IQ in the center wide open.

I am trying to learn. Can you comment on this a bit more? Keep in mind that the focal length differs and thus you see more detail when comparing the images, e.g., the houses, and this enables you to spot tiny issues more readily. But to me, this would not be about IQ. In fact, I cannot see any real differences starting from f2 in terms of image quality or sharpness. I would be very happy if somebody can give me a hand.

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:31 AM
sebbe
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

sebbe wrote:
I had the same question with the Tamron 28-75 a few weeks ago. As far as I remember it was impossible (or difficult?) to deselect it in LR with certain lenses (like you wrote) but it's easy to uncheck it in capture one. If you don't use C1 you can send me the raw file of the f1.2 to f2.8 shots and I test it. But it will be Sunday and maybe I'm just wrong with all my considerations.

Here's the picture from the tamron 28-75 (lower right corner @28mm/f2.8).
Left C1 with CA turned off shows CA.
But LR on the right correct CA even it is turned off.

If I turn it on CA disappear in C1 and in LR there is just a slight improvement on top.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Here is a picture showing the CV 50/1.2 and CV 40/1.2 with their respective hoods:

Voigtlander LH‑8 Lens Hood used on the 50/1.2

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:16 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

hanay78 wrote:
Fred, in your opinion how this compare with Summicron-M 50 or with Lox 50? Just your impression. Regards and thanks for the very interesting review

Hanay,
Strictly for landscapes, it's hard to beat the Loxia 50/2. It's lighter, native and outstanding across the field starting at f/5.6.
Both 40/1.2 and 50/1.2 Noktons can definitely be used for landscapes at f/5.6 but the corners do not match the Loxia even at small apertures.

Here is a comparison between the Loxia 50/2 vs 50/1.2 Nokton (Both at f/8)...The lighting is different since these images were not captured on the same day.

Loxia 50/2 (left) | CV 50/1.2 (right) - Both at f/8 (Extreme corner)

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:24 PM
hanay78
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Thank you very very much!

amazing and intersting comparison. What about color and contrast? any impressions?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hanay,
Strictly for landscapes, it's hard to beat the Loxia 50/2. It's lighter, native and outstanding across the field starting at f/5.6.
Both 40/1.2 and 50/1.2 Noktons can definitely be used for landscapes at f/5.6 or f/8 but the corners do not match the Loxia even at small apertures.

Here is a comparison between the Loxia 50/2 vs 50/1.2 Nokton (Both at f/8)...The lighting is different since these images were not captured on the same day.

Sep 14, 2018 at 01:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is a picture showing the CV 50/1.2 and CV 40/1.2 with their respective hoods:

This lens is also compatible with Voigtlander's new hood (LH-10) which is a bit longer and according to them offers even better stray light shielding.

LH-10 hood

Sep 14, 2018 at 01:53 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.