FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              40      
       end

Archive 2018 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.41 #1 · p.41 #1 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

My initial results are excellent. In my quick tests in fading light, I'm surprised how well the Sony 90 macro holds up sharpness wise, especially at longer distances where I would expect more differentiation. I do have an excellent copy of the 90 that handily beat the well centered 85/1.8 I had at non-macro distances. Hope to do a proper test tomorrow.

I'm also struggling to get use to the mechanics. Testing it against the Oly 100/2 makes me wish the aperture ring was in the front of the lens like the Oly 100/2 and CV 65. The size difference also makes me realize what a special lens the Olympus 100/2 is.

Dec 09, 2018 at 01:18 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.41 #2 · p.41 #2 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

I think that the aperture ring on the CV 110/2.5 has been moved to its position nearest the lens mount due to mechanical difficulties in having it placed nearest the filter thread, arising from the long extension required in a life size magnification macro lens. Note that most Olympus OM prime lenses and most CV FE lenses have their aperture ring nearest the filter thread, including the Olympus OM 50/2 macro and CV 65/2 macro, both which go to half life size magnification. The Olympus OM 90/2 macro has the aperture ring nearest the lens mount just like the CV 110/2.5, though the OM 90/2 only goes to half life size magnification.

Dec 09, 2018 at 07:49 AM
CameraQuest

Upload & Sell: On
p.41 #3 · p.41 #3 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

pdmphoto wrote:
Apologies to Stephen/Cameraquest, and anyone else here who I may have offended

I was wrong. Not just in the outcome but my actions. The lens did arrive today, but I wasn't home because USPS said it wasn't going to get delivered until Monday. I should know better than to put any trust in USPS or UPS (FedEx does seem to have more reliable tracking). I was not having the best day, had some recent bad mail order experiences, and took it out here. How old am I? I definitely didn't act my age.

I have dealt with
...Show more

No problem. The USPS tracking could have been a lot better. Glad the lens did arrive on time.

Best to All,
Stephen

Dec 09, 2018 at 12:30 PM
BruceRH
• •
p.41 #4 · p.41 #4 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

CameraQuest wrote:
No problem. The USPS tracking could have been a lot better. Glad the lens did arrive on time.

Best to All,
Stephen

I sold several items this past week and shipped USPS “2 Day Priority”. It has been a nightmare. Six days to go 12 miles (from my Post Office to the Distribution center) in one instance. Another, nothing, no scan or anything and then 5 days later it shows up in the correct state at least. I sent a gift across town, 20 miles, 5 days later it finally shows up. If you want something to get there, I wouldn’t recommend USPS this time of year. They seem to be overwhelmed.

Dec 09, 2018 at 12:56 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.41 #5 · p.41 #5 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Cosina has used the APO label for non-macros like the 3.5/90 or 4/180 in the past so there is a good chance I think. Especially that 4/180 would be really handy since there are no compact high performance lenses in that range. The old 4/180 fetches really high used market prices even though it hasa few shortcomings.

It would be another home run if they resurrected the 180/4 APO in native E mount, especially if they tweaked the optical design just a bit to increase the sharpness at infinity and/or made hitting infinity focus not as fiddly as it is.
The 180/4 is my vacation tele lens when I go with 21mm, 35mm, 85mm, and 180mm primes.

Dec 09, 2018 at 01:46 PM
Dave Good
• • •
p.41 #6 · p.41 #6 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

ScottUPPSALA wrote:
65 is my favourite lens so I know how you're feeling 😉

I haven't shot any macro yet but this lens has quickly become my favourite as well. I am now torn between the new 110/2.5 and the Batis 135/2.8 as my next lens addition, especially after Fred's recent comparison on the two. Good times for us E-mount shooters, not so much for the bank account however....

Dec 09, 2018 at 03:43 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.41 #7 · p.41 #7 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

I've done some indoor macro tests and the results are consistent. At the tested apertures, f/2.8- 5.6, the 110 macro is just a tad sharper than my excellent Sony 90. I am splitting hairs when it comes to sharpness, even in the corners. They are both superb for sharpness. The Sony 90 has slightly higher contrast. The Sony 90 tends to be a little red, while the VC 110 tends to be a little yellow/green (same as I saw with the 65 APO). The one place where the VC 100 stands out is its APO qualities. The OOF areas of the Sony 90 have red/green fringing, where the VC 100 have much lower color fringing.

Here is a shot near the corner of both lenses at 1:1 at f/5.6. Because of the differences in focal length and the physical extension of the 110 at 1:1 it is nearly impossible to get exact pictures. Because of the limited DOF, you might see one area that looks a little sharper than the other pic. I've done a few tests and the result are consistent concerning sharpness, contrast, and color. Not sure why the Sony came out at 1/125 sec, while the VC came in at 1/250. I didn't see much difference in my other tests. I would be inclined to believe the Sony may have some camera shake which could affect sharpness in this example, but I don't think I am seeing any here.

Dec 09, 2018 at 04:39 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.41 #8 · p.41 #8 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

Recommend you consider a dermatology consult

Thanks for the excellent comparison!

Dec 09, 2018 at 05:00 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.41 #9 · p.41 #9 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

Here is where the real difference shows up. Worst case - black against a white background. The color fringing on the Sony becomes apparent. One might notice the red tendency in the Sony and the green/yellow in the VC. it looks like the 110 wasn't quite at 1:1 here, and it also looks to have a slightly higher exposure. That along with the lower contrast helps with detail in the darker areas. These were taken in manual mode at the same aperture and shutter speed with daylight white balance; handheld with SS on, and taken at different angles, so I wouldn't judge them too much for sharpness.

Dec 09, 2018 at 05:30 PM
sauravdg

p.41 #10 · p.41 #10 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

Did a few tests for my copy today and loved it so far
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmohb7Dj
*Noob Alert I forgot to shoot raw + jpeg so they are not SOOC. Did minimal processing of the photos Highlights -20 / Shadows +20 - Adobe Standard. I hope that is lesser processing than Sony SOOC and will do justice to the lens rendering.

-Saurav

Dec 09, 2018 at 07:06 PM
ScottUPPSALA
• •
p.41 #11 · p.41 #11 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

sauravdg wrote:
Did a few tests for my copy today and loved it so far
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmohb7Dj
*Noob Alert I forgot to shoot raw + jpeg so they are not SOOC. Did minimal processing of the photos Highlights -20 / Shadows +20 - Adobe Standard. I hope that is lesser processing than Sony SOOC and will do justice to the lens rendering.

-Saurav

Love the sunstar in the #eye photo 😉 This lens is on my 2019 want list!

Dec 09, 2018 at 07:23 PM
sauravdg

p.41 #12 · p.41 #12 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

ScottUPPSALA wrote:
Love the sunstar in the #eye photo 😉 This lens is on my 2019 want list!

Thanks Scott.. Sunstars are pretty good with this lens. Except for the front heaviness at macro, I loved this guy. Maybe with practice and nicotine detox I can do better I did hold my breath to be on the focus plane but really felt the micro shakes in my hand

Dec 09, 2018 at 07:36 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.41 #13 · p.41 #13 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

The lack of defocus color fringing is truly impressive—and I'm an asshole about this optical aspect. Will be a challenge to justify this C/V APO with three CZ C/Y 100mm primes and the 100 STF already in my inventory.

Dec 09, 2018 at 08:53 PM
secondclaw
• • •
p.41 #14 · p.41 #14 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

Damn you all I just ordered it ...
Had a need for a macro lens and this one seems to fit the bill nicely! Can retire my old Canon 100mm Macro (non-L).

Dec 09, 2018 at 10:03 PM
technic
• • • •
p.41 #15 · p.41 #15 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

rico wrote:
The lack of defocus color fringing is truly impressive—and I'm an asshole about this optical aspect. Will be a challenge to justify this C/V APO with three CZ C/Y 100mm primes and the 100 STF already in my inventory.

Agree, this is often overlooked while it can ruin certain images. I'm currently using Canon 100L macro and not happy with its performance in this area; the Sigma 150 APO I used before was better (but way worse for infinity corner sharpness ...). I'm looking for a better alternative when I switch to Sony or Nikon body next year, the new Irix 150 mm macro might be an option too (I prefer longer focal length). Would be good to see several of these alternatives compared in practice, with non-flat subjects

Dec 10, 2018 at 04:45 AM
kaioyang
• •
p.41 #16 · p.41 #16 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

Hi, I wonder if anyone in Australia has received this lens?
Has Mainline (the Voigtlander distributor in AU) actually received stock?

Dec 12, 2018 at 06:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.41 #17 · p.41 #17 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

technic wrote:
Agree, this is often overlooked while it can ruin certain images. I'm currently using Canon 100L macro and not happy with its performance in this area; the Sigma 150 APO I used before was better (but way worse for infinity corner sharpness ...). I'm looking for a better alternative when I switch to Sony or Nikon body next year, the new Irix 150 mm macro might be an option too (I prefer longer focal length). Would be good to see several of these alternatives compared in practice, with non-flat subjects

The new Irix does look good, especially for $595. It has a nice working distance and rounded 11-blade aperture. However it's not APO and weights about 200g more than the CV 110 with adapter. It would be hard to imagine at lens at this price range coming close to the CV 110's infinity performance but anything is possible.

The Irix with adapter will be about 1 inch longer than the FE 90/2.8 G, which was already a long lens...

Dec 12, 2018 at 06:39 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.41 #18 · p.41 #18 · Pre-order: Voigtlander 110/2.5 Macro APO for $1,099

kaioyang wrote:
Hi, I wonder if anyone in Australia has received this lens?
Has Mainline (the Voigtlander distributor in AU) actually received stock?

Mainline are expecting stock next week.

Dec 12, 2018 at 08:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.