New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

drew.haynes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

Hi All,

Just got a 6d1 - have only done random test-shots in-home, but so far I think I love it (previous body was a 30D). I tried taking a couple random video recordings just wandering in the house and WOW - I have no idea what I am doing. The AF stays locked at the distance it started on, unless I tap the AF-ON button on the back of the 6D (at which point it slowly, loudly refocuses). The only way I could refocus fast enough to even "maybe" record say, a moving person, was manual focus.

At this point I have only a 50mm 1.8 II after switching from crop body - planning to have a 24-105 F4L Mark I soon though. I realize the noise and some of the slowness in AF is likely due to the 50mm. Even still, do people just full-time MF on these, or am I missing some option or setting that cues the camera to auto-adjust focus during video?

I'm 100% new to video, so sorry for such ignorance! We have a baby on the way - I plan to use the camera primarily for photos, and I think it will do great with better glass, but it would be *nice* if I could use it for a little video occasionally, mostly just for capturing candid moments.

Thank you!

Drew

Jan 18, 2018 at 09:43 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

I was in a similar situation and gave up--just ended up using a phone to shoot video.

I'm eager to hear replies on how one is supposed to use a DSLR for video in general, family daily use, because the only way I've ever used my 5D2 is similar to the way I used to help a friend in film school shoot Super16--carefully setting up shots on a tripod/slider and keeping the plane of focus in mind the whole time.

To me the challenge is that the depth of field is so shallow with a large sensor as to make regular people (eg not actors standing at marks) moving around without direction difficult to capture.

I'm assuming later cameras are better at video AF--my SL1 seems to do a lot better and my 7D2 I assume is even better than that?

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

For Canon models without dual-pixel AF the easiest way to focus is to use ultra-wide angles (<= 24mm) at smaller apertures (>= f/8) for maximum DOF and then lock down the focus at either infinity (normal shooting) or somewhere in between MFD/infinity for closer shooting. You'll also want to invest in some inexpensive LED lighting - the Dracast 500 is currently on sale at B&H (link).

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:16 AM
drew.haynes
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

Ugh - big panel of LED's doesn't sound great for spontaneous candid video clips at home. And using a small aperture to basically nullify the need to focus sounds like it also eliminates any at-home indoor low-light capability?

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:25 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

drew.haynes wrote:
Ugh - big panel of LED's doesn't sound great for spontaneous candid video clips at home. And using a small aperture to basically nullify the need to focus sounds like it also eliminates any at-home indoor low-light capability?

In that case I would highly recommend either a dual-pixel model or Canon's Vixia HF G20/G30/G40 camcorders.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:50 PM
drew.haynes
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

Welllll bummer. Just got the 6D, need to buy more glass, not really in a position to buy a Vixia just for light use. Thanks for your input, however!

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

The 6DII has dual pixel AF, which allows full time af during video. A cheaper option would be a used SL1 or some other entry level body just for video that also has dual pixel AF. A used SL1 can be found for less than $300.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

amacal1 wrote:
The 6DII has dual pixel AF, which allows full time af during video. A cheaper option would be a used SL1 or some other entry level body just for video that also has dual pixel AF. A used SL1 can be found for less than $300.

The SL1 doesn't have dual-pixel. The SL2 does though.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:14 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

You are correct, and I am incorrect. But, the SL1 does have Hybrid CMOS AF II, which allows for significantly improved live view and video focusing.

Jan 19, 2018 at 01:19 AM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

Don't you just love the way Canon includes a feature (Video) in a product but then makes it near unworkable so it can add the feature, improved, again in the next or higher model. I have a 6D. Great camera, but after the first few attempts gave up on any ideas it is capable of video.

Jan 19, 2018 at 04:59 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

Ferrophot wrote:
Don't you just love the way Canon includes a feature (Video) in a product but then makes it near unworkable so it can add the feature, improved, again in the next or higher model. I have a 6D. Great camera, but after the first few attempts gave up on any ideas it is capable of video.

The problem is that many people (including you apparently) thinks the earlier video DSLRs were supposed to replace the camcorders for "run and gun" family stuff. The first intend was to give the more advanced film makers the affordable tools - mainly the capability to use various lenses, DOF controls, etc. that normally costs 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars. Even these incredibly expensive cameras still operate mostly on old techniques like manual focusing, actors standing on carefully prefocused marks so the focus operators can change to the pre-recorded focus point instantly and accurately & usage of advanced lighting.

With the introduction of DPAF, the run and gun camcording is now possible. You seem to be angry about the capabilities of 5+ year old technology which is a bit unfair. It's like I was angry that my Opel Corsa is not being able to drive itself or my former Samsung Galaxy S3 from 2012 not having the same gorgeous display as my current S7.

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:29 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

I shot a lot of studio and stage clips with my 5D2, 7D and 6D and it really wasn't hard after a little study and practice. Yes, you have to either prefocus clips or manually focus but you get used to it. My current cameras all have Dual Pixel movie servo and it works great, but I almost always disable AF and focus manually for my stage and music videos.

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:32 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

I tend to use my 6D for family run-and-gun filming from time to time. I find that if I'm careful and still able to live with a slight amount of missed focus, then the results are still acceptable. Just two nights ago I whipped out the 6D because we had (yet another) rare snowstorm in Louisiana. When the snow started at about 8pm, the family went outside to play. Cellphones were worthless in the dark to capture the beautiful snow and fun we were having, so out came the 6D and 50mm f/1.4 with the aperture wide open.

Here's a image I snapped wihile the video was recording:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4701/39071239964_d170c63595_b.jpg

and here's a crop of that same image:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4653/28002803489_3945cfb4e5_c.jpg

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:48 AM
drew.haynes
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6d Video - Total Noob!

Not bad! Canon just emailed me and said that they are shipping an 80D bundle I ordered... after THREE different people at Canon said my order was cancelled and WILL NOT SHIP. I guess I need to play around with the 80D and 6D and decide which one to sell?

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.