New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · AF wont work after happy incident

Greendvl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF wont work after happy incident

My sister was using my Nikon D3300 and "accidentally" rotated the focus ring of my Nikon 55-200 DX while it was set on AF. Im pretty sure I heard a noisy "clack" and now the aoutofocus wont work anymore; It doesnt even try to focus (you can hear a tiny noise but not a "focusing" noise).
Specific lens: Nikon 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G ED AFS DX VR
Any advice?

Read more: https://nikonites.com/photography-q-and-a/41086-af-wont-work-after-happy-incident.html#ixzz54MqPyyjm

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:09 PM
sk66
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF wont work after happy incident

It's probably broken... The focus switch only has Auto and Manual positions. That means it should not be manually focused w/ the switch in the A position.
Lenses that have M/A or A/M positions can be manually focused w/ autofocus enabled in those switch positions.

It's probably not worth getting it repaired... cheaper to just replace it.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:24 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF wont work after happy incident

It may have broken a gear in the AF motor assembly or popped something out of place. With it all being plastic probably not much you can do to fix it if a piece broke.

Does it still manually focus when you flip the switch? The AF/MF switch physically lifts a gear to disengage the focus motor so you can focus manually.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:28 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF wont work after happy incident

The focus ring can't be turned at any time outside of MF on those cheap kit lenses, it could very well be broken if it was forced.

The good news is that lens is pretty cheap to replace, around $130 USD and even cheaper on the used market - not sure about Spain.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:28 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF wont work after happy incident

Ummmm - don't take this the wrong way, but check a couple of things before you run out and buy a new lens.

1. Verify that the lens is set to autofocus and that your sister didn't accidently move the switch on the lens.

2. Verify that the body is still set to autofocus and that your sister didn't accidently change that setting.

3. Put another lens on your body and see if it will autofocus.

If the lens is on af and the body is on af and the body works with other lenses, but your lens does not - then you can assume that your lens is broken.

If your camera body does not af with your lens or another lens, the issue is probably with the camera body.

I can't tell you how many times I've bumped a switch and then sat there thinking something is wrong with the gear. Usually its the meatware behind the lens (in my case).

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:45 PM
Greendvl

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF wont work after happy incident

jpelt78 wrote:
It may have broken a gear in the AF motor assembly or popped something out of place. With it all being plastic probably not much you can do to fix it if a piece broke.

Does it still manually focus when you flip the switch? The AF/MF switch physically lifts a gear to disengage the focus motor so you can focus manually.

Yes, the manual focus works perfectly

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:55 PM
Greendvl

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF wont work after happy incident

frdjohns wrote:
Ummmm - don't take this the wrong way, but check a couple of things before you run out and buy a new lens.

1. Verify that the lens is set to autofocus and that your sister didn't accidently move the switch on the lens.

2. Verify that the body is still set to autofocus and that your sister didn't accidently change that setting.

3. Put another lens on your body and see if it will autofocus.

If the lens is on af and the body is on af and the body works with other lenses, but your lens does not - then you
...Show more

Everything is set to AF and other lenses work on my camera. So pretty much is the lens..

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AF wont work after happy incident

Greendvl wrote:
Everything is set to AF and other lenses work on my camera. So pretty much is the lens..

Yep... bummer.

Jan 16, 2018 at 03:09 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AF wont work after happy incident

If you are adventurous and mechanically inclined you could try to take it apart and see if you can do anything to make it work. I don’t like taking apart these newer kit lenses. There are a few soldered wires that get in the way that I usually end up having to resolder. I haven’t done a lot with the motor so I don’t know if anything might be possible to “pop” anything back in. It may have removed some teeth on a gear which would not be very fixable.

Best bet may be to sell it for parts/ Manual Focus use and replace it as others have suggested. If you are not handy with fixing things you might not get it back to a usable condition after taking it apart.

Jan 16, 2018 at 05:03 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AF wont work after happy incident

The 55-200 was not one of Nikon's better efforts. If anything, replace it with Nikon's AF-P DX 70-300 for about 400 bux. Better lens, more range. Get the VR model. "A telephoto without VR is a mistake," as Thom Hogan says.

Jan 16, 2018 at 05:33 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AF wont work after happy incident

Even the 55-300 gets pretty good marks from a lot of its users. They can be had rather inexpensively as well.

Jan 16, 2018 at 07:26 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AF wont work after happy incident

This incident doesn’t seem happy to me.

Jan 17, 2018 at 07:47 AM
henry albert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · AF wont work after happy incident

Max Power wrote:
This incident doesn’t seem happy to me.

There must be a part of the story we haven't heard.

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:50 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · AF wont work after happy incident

henry albert wrote:
There must be a part of the story we haven't heard.

What, pray tell, do you think is missing?

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · AF wont work after happy incident

runamuck wrote:
What, pray tell, do you think is missing?

Why, pray tell, is the accidental wrecking of his lens a "happy incident"?

p.s. It was just a joking aside, a response to Max's comment. Obviously, the OP meant to type "unhappy."

Jan 17, 2018 at 01:23 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · AF wont work after happy incident

Just wondering what part of the story you think is missing?

Jan 17, 2018 at 01:33 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · AF wont work after happy incident

runamuck wrote:
Just wondering what part of the story you think is missing?

Asked and answered.

Jan 17, 2018 at 01:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · AF wont work after happy incident

It could be a "happy incident" because he hadn't seen his sister in several years? Maybe parts of his family after several years? The breaking might not be happy, but the surrounding events very happy.

Jan 17, 2018 at 01:56 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · AF wont work after happy incident

Yes, perhaps his sister broke the lens in reaction to winning the Power Ball, and other such likely scenarios.

Jan 17, 2018 at 02:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · AF wont work after happy incident

It may be an ESL issue.

EBH

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.