Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2018 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Used to live in Alt ... then got some actual Canon gear.

Regularly in Photo Critique

Intermittently in:
Processing / Printing
Lighting
Nature
B&W
Alt

Jan 17, 2018 at 01:15 PM
Access
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Silverfire wrote:
Not sure what people mean by Canon is a gated community. I didn't have to apply to anything. I just showed up and started posting. *shrugs*

Maybe the "country club" mentality that a lot of forums tend to develop? For instance, if most of the activity is based around insider's posts, and outsider's posts are often ignored or get a very limited response. Or only inside topics are discussed, and attempts to start uncommon / unorthodox topics and discussions get ignored.

A good example is when I try to post about TensorFlow or Inception in photo postprocessing forums, as some us more interdisciplinary folk are starting to use these types of automation tools for our culling and editing work. It rarely gets any response at all. Not just in this forum but any other photo-related forum. Is it that photographers simply don't think this way? I don't think so, because there's plenty of discussions of leading-edge topics, the latest technologies and how to make good use of them. And there's enough people using these tools in actuality to keep updating the functionality and datasets, it's not like the technology is being ignored or a dead end that is going nowhere.

On the other hand, post the same topic on a site like stack exchange and a lot of the discussions can be quite active. It's not that more people on these types of sites are more keen on discussing the leading edge either, there's a lot of more common q&a and plenty of more pedestrian topics discussed. It's mostly that they're more keen on listening to what outsiders have to say and even discussing with new people or "new blood" if there is something to be gained from it.

Edited on Jan 17, 2018 at 04:49 PM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2018 at 04:21 PM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Been here since 2003 so I guess I am either an in-outsider or an out-insider

Jan 17, 2018 at 04:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

I'm an inside-outer.

Jan 17, 2018 at 05:15 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

John Power wrote:
As Canon users it makes sense that we spend most of out time here. Occasionally I wander into the People and Lighting forums but there could be weeks or even months between those visits.

Other than the Buy and Sell forum, which I suspect just about everyone here visits on a regular if not daily basis, do any of you spend significant time in any of the other forums?

I hate to admit it, but I occasionally frequent toyota-4runner.org...

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:09 AM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

I own a 4 Runner. 2000 and still going strong.

Jan 18, 2018 at 08:18 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Yes

Jan 18, 2018 at 09:26 AM
Silverfire
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Oh ok. I see what you mean. I haven't participated much here -- still just soaking up info. Maybe forums are inherently insulating? Stack does have a better social reward structure and that helps.

Access wrote:
Maybe the "country club" mentality that a lot of forums tend to develop? For instance, if most of the activity is based around insider's posts, and outsider's posts are often ignored or get a very limited response. Or only inside topics are discussed, and attempts to start uncommon / unorthodox topics and discussions get ignored.

A good example is when I try to post about TensorFlow or Inception in photo postprocessing forums, as some us more interdisciplinary folk are starting to use these types of automation tools for our culling and editing work. It rarely gets any response at all.
...Show more

Jan 19, 2018 at 07:01 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Not sure if I'm in or out but often I've observed new members and one-post wonders asking questions and plenty of people contributing helpful comments. Not very "gated" behavior in my book. Active members seem to be shrinking—old age and social media has taken a toll—so the perception of cyber gates, big cheese insiders and us 'n them is simply a small base of active members being active. Any noob can do the dance if they so desire.

Jan 19, 2018 at 08:31 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Silverfire wrote:
Maybe forums are inherently insulating?

Sure - and there is a lot to be said about forum psychology; belonging/company, status, domination, therapy, soapbox...

Jan 19, 2018 at 08:33 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

I've been an active member here since 2002, but after 16 years I think it's time to look for a new place to hang out, as the level of intelligence on this whole site has taken a pretty substantial dip recently.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Jeff wrote:
I hate to admit it, but I occasionally frequent toyota-4runner.org...

4Runner owner here. Thanks for the reminder... ;-)

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:19 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

molson wrote:
I've been an active member here since 2002, but after 16 years I think it's time to look for a new place to hang out, as the level of intelligence on this whole site has taken a pretty substantial dip recently.

I hope you reconsider. It's true the Canon forum has descended into complete dreck, and I say that without Schadenfreude, being a Canon owner myself. I wouldn't tar FM entirely, however. The site's brain trust—and that includes Fred—is camped out in the Sony forum, and gearmongering proceeds with industrious purpose. Some people are altering the optical formula of their (new) lenses and tearing them open to remove shims. That's a bit too hardcore even for me! The pixel-shift feature (with all its software implications) is another fascinating topic. Even the Nikon forum is operating with a civil tone, and with respectable traffic levels.

Jan 25, 2018 at 07:23 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

rico wrote:
I hope you reconsider. It's true the Canon forum has descended into complete dreck, and I say that without Schadenfreude, being a Canon owner myself. I wouldn't tar FM entirely, however. The site's brain trust—and that includes Fred—is camped out in the Sony forum, and gearmongering proceeds with industrious purpose. Some people are altering the optical formula of their (new) lenses and tearing them open to remove shims. That's a bit too hardcore even for me! The pixel-shift feature (with all its software implications) is another fascinating topic. Even the Nikon forum is operating with a civil tone, and
...Show more

There is still some good to be found in th Canon board, I enjoyed your and others' take on the new TS-E lenses, for example.

The brain trust center of gravity has moved from the Alternative board to the Sony board lately, it is long since the Canon board was the most exciting place to be. Some of the best are gone for good it seems (theSuede, Toothwalker, Brain Caldwell, ...), but there has also been good additions. That being said, there are a handful of people I meet here at the Canon board regularly, and whose photography, knowledge, ingenuity, integrity and manners I truly respect. More than a handful in fact. Most of these also post on other boards, maybe more than here.

Jan 26, 2018 at 04:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

alundeb wrote:
Some of the best are gone for good it seems (theSuede, Toothwalker, Brain Caldwell, ...)

Anders old son, are you sure about Caldwell's name ?

Jan 26, 2018 at 07:50 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

PetKal wrote:
Anders old son, are you sure about Caldwell's name ?

Sure, THIS Caldwell:
J. Brian Caldwell (of Caldwell Photographic Inc. and optical designer of the Coastal Optics 60mm f/4 UV-VIS-IR APO macro lens)

I had the pleasure of getting some explanations from him on the lens design of the Canon 50 mm f/1.0 L and the implication of the unusually long exit pupil distance on vignetting with the Metabones SpeedBooster he also designed the optics for.

There is a nice chap called Colwell as well? And a Coldwell?

Jan 26, 2018 at 08:03 AM
Max10
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Is this the only forum you regularly visit?

Yes, to whine about the AF issues.

Jan 27, 2018 at 03:24 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.