New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Nogueira

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Should I trade a brand new D750 for a D3S (18k shots)? I shoot low light/indoor basketball at 12800 ISO.
Thanks.

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:04 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Sure why not.

The high ISO is great on both (I'd argue slightly better on the D3S), and you'll also get the higher frame rate and the vertical grip which are both handy for baskeball.

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:32 PM
akul
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Nogueira wrote:
Should I trade a brand new D750 for a D3S (18k shots)? I shoot low light/indoor basketball at 12800 ISO.
Thanks.

I would check price for used D3S and a 'like new' used D750. My instinct tells me D3S at this point are probably selling at lower price than the 'like new' D750.

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:43 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

There are a lot of special things with the D* line like build/ergonomics and FPS, but the D750 with a grip isn't to shabby.

D750 is actually a pretty amazing low light machine

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D3S,Nikon%20D750

Here is another comparison of D750 not directly to a D3s but to Df ( D4 sensor ).

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d750/6

Unless you really need FPS and the build and shutterlife I'd be skeptical the D3s is going to be better in reallife

Jan 15, 2018 at 02:44 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

chip_master wrote:
Unless you really need FPS and the build and shutterlife I'd be skeptical the D3s is going to be better in reallife

This!
Don't forget the "croppability" either. 24Mpx - 12Mpx is a big difference.

Jan 15, 2018 at 04:10 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

The autofocus and DR of the D750 is better than the D3s. I like the D750 over the D4. The things that let me down on the D750 are weather sealing, 1/4000 max shutter speed, and small buffer. 6 fps is fine for most applications. Definitely add the grip for easy transition from horizontal to vertical. Use it with a 70-200mm and you are set for basketball.

Jan 15, 2018 at 04:33 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Image quality will be better on the D750. I wouldn't be going for an older body like the D3s

Jan 15, 2018 at 05:47 AM
Nogueira

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Thanks guys for all the help! I mainly use the 70-200mm 2.8 for these shots and sometimes I do have to crop a fairly amount to get the shot that I want, so 12 Mpx worries me a bit Mr. Dees. The fact that the D3S is a pro level camera really attracts me a lot.

Jan 15, 2018 at 08:53 AM
bocajrs
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

D750

Jan 15, 2018 at 08:58 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

For all the people who suggested a D750 or think image quality is better on it, I'm curious how many have actually owned both cameras? On paper, the D750 claims to have an ISO,focusing, and image quality advantage....but in real life....not so much. I really think the D3S is better or the same in most categories.

Personally, I used a D3S for a few years and wanted and tried to love a D750 for a while...but little things irritated me about it. Once you get used to a pro body and controls, it's hard to go back.

Jan 15, 2018 at 09:51 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Nathan Padgett wrote:
For all the people who suggested a D750 or think image quality is better on it, I'm curious how many have actually owned both cameras? On paper, the D750 claims to have an ISO,focusing, and image quality advantage....but in real life....not so much. I really think the D3S is better or the same in most categories.

Personally, I used a D3S for a few years and wanted and tried to love a D750 for a while...but little things irritated me about it. Once you get used to a pro body and controls, it's hard to go back.

I shot a D3s and D750 and compared both extensively. For IQ, in terms of low ISO the D750 is substantially better with over 2EV of more DR at base ISO. At high ISO the two are very similar for DR/noise but the D750 has less banding, the extent of which depends on the specific copy of the D3s because I've observed variations in how well the the multiple readout channels on its external ADC were balanced. That said, I loved shooting with the D3s and its IQ was a remarkable achievement for its time.

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:34 AM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

I was shooting low light dance photography with both cameras.
D750 is better

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:46 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Nogueira wrote:
Thanks guys for all the help! I mainly use the 70-200mm 2.8 for these shots and sometimes I do have to crop a fairly amount to get the shot that I want, so 12 Mpx worries me a bit Mr. Dees. The fact that the D3S is a pro level camera really attracts me a lot.

Yes, indeed, “pro-level” is very nice, but technology does move along. If you are accustomed using the benefits and advantages of higher resolution, which includes cropping, 12MP may seem to be a limitation. Technology includes auto-focus. One should examine and compare the specifications of the cameras’ AF systems, and look for comparative user reviews and internet posts.

I considered a D750, before buying buying a pre-owned D3s in August 2015. I was already accustomed to using an original Canon 5D, and Nikon D700 cameras, both of which have 12MP sensors. The D3s’ AF, too, was a step forward, compared to that I had been using.

I have no actual experience with the D750, so cannot compare it directly to the D3s. I do seem to recall some wedding/event shooters, who had been using pro cameras, posting that they opted for the D750, rather than a D4/D4s camera. I am not saying that they made a right, or wrong, decision. You may wish to find such articles, posts, and reviews, and learn why they made their choices.

We are not clinging to old technology. My wife and I bypassed D750-level AF, with our D500 cameras, skipping at least one whole generation of Nikon auto-focusing technology. My D3s remains useful, so it will probably stay. It may be relegated to reserve status, if I/we had one or more D5 cameras.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:13 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

If you are having to crop a lot then the D3s becomes less attractive. I used a pair if D3s bodies for a couple years before moving on and that was the only limitation I found for sports. If you are filling the frame it's a beautiful camera but it appears from your post that cropping will be required.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Nathan Padgett wrote:

D3s/D4/D5, D600/D800e/D810/Df, probably the one camera I skipped was D750 and bypassing the D850 for now. No question pro bodies have something about them. The D600 / Df as well as D8xx had some totally irritating things, I agree, but the sensor and focus technology have come a long way, technology moves fast.

Nogueira wrote:

Pixels do give an immense amount of flexibility. When I was shooting D3s/D4 and stepped up to the D600 I was like wow, and same to D8xx series. I'm resisting the D850 now as crop is becoming less and less important to my shooting needs. Myself and most of the folks that view my pictures all do it on a phone, so the wow of them pixels is become almost useless to me but as a peeper.

Jan 15, 2018 at 01:25 PM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D750 or D3S?

Having shot F3,D1/x, D2h/x, D3/s, D4/s, D5, D100, D200, D300/s, D700, D800, D610, D750, I can tell you the files of the D750 are better than the D3s. Now I would not take a D750 on a Navy ship or in a combat zone, for basketball it is fine.

Nathan Padgett wrote:

Jan 15, 2018 at 01:49 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.