New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

Side1Cincy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

I'm planning a trip with my dad to Arizona and Utah in early March and need advice on the itinerary. He has significant back issues that has put him on disability and doesn't allow him to hike or walk up steep hills; areas that are flat or a mild grade for short distances are required. I figured we can still see a lot from scenic drives, very short mild walks and getting a national park access pass that would allow us to use shuttle roads.

I know this is a very standard schedule, but every website I've been reading says to spend 2-3 days at some of these places, but since we won't be hiking, I don't know how much time we should set aside for each park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Length: 6-7 days

Day 1: Drive from Las Vegas to Zion and spend the day in Zion until sunset

Day 2: Spend the morning in Zion then head over to see Upper Antelope Canyon. I figured upper antelope canyon is mostly flat, so he should be able to handle that. Then end the day at Horseshoe bend. I know the hike down to Horseshoe Bend might be questionable, because I know its a sand hill.

Day 3: Head over to Monument Valley for the day.

Day 4 & 5: Go from Monument Valley up to Canyonlands & Arches National Forest for the day.

Day 6-7: Drive back to Vegas with a side trip through Bryce Canyon.

Is this too much to see? Is this too much time to be in a car since majority of our sightseeing will be going from spot to spot in a car? If I do have to remove a stop, which stop do I remove?

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM
tsinsf
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

Only you can answer for yourself if it is too much to see; people vary in their likes and dislikes. For me it is way too much. I would skip Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend and spend more time in Zion. Don't forget Dead Horse Point when you are in Moab. It's a very short level walk from the parking lot to the lookout.

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:31 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

I'll speak from experience on Antelope, Horseshoe Bend and Zion. Don't know anything about Monument Valley or Arches.

In Zion there are a number of walks on flat paved trails -- a few of them even have wheelchair access. Riverside Walk is quite nice, as is Canyon Overlook trail and Emerald Pools. http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/recommend.cfm

Horseshoe Bend is tough because it's a good half mile walk in sand from the parking lot to the overlook. That being said, it's a spectacular overlook if you can do it.

Antelope Canyon -- if he can't do stairs well, then it's probably a no-go.

No interest in the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? Those trails are all paved.

Jan 11, 2018 at 01:05 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

Monument Valley has a loop road you can drive, but when I was there it wasn't in the best of shape, so the ride was rough. Don't know how that might affect your dad's back.

Jan 11, 2018 at 02:40 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

Upper Antelope is sandy, but level. And they drive you right up to the canyon mouth.

Horseshoe I'm not so sure of. It's a somewhat long slog through the sand and over a non-trivial hill. It's not really difficult, but an aching back might make it a real trial. This overlook might be a better option. https://goo.gl/maps/UrAqo8QpE272

Several of Bryce's overlooks are very easy to reach from the parking lot. Cold as heck in March, but pretty!

If the road is passable, Valley of the Gods offers drive-up sightseeing.

Hwy 95 north from MV is lovely. The Hite Crossing area, Hog Canyon, Little Egypt, and Goblin Valley SP can all be appreciated with only short, easy walks.

North Rim GC is closed, usually until the middle of May.

Jan 11, 2018 at 04:21 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

If I had a bad back, I would want to skip antelope. A fair amount of climbing in lower. In upper, they load you in the back of an old chevy pickup and bounce up the wash about as fast as they can go to keep from getting stuck in the sand.

Jan 11, 2018 at 05:34 PM
Side1Cincy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

Thanks for the advice everyone. I figured Horseshoe Bend would be too much and didn't think of the bumpy truck ride to Antelope Canyon. Appreciate the other locations that may be more easier to access.

Jan 11, 2018 at 07:25 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

The road in MV will also be too rough for a bad back. Good places to drive for scenery: Highway 12 from Bryce Canyon to Torrey;
Burr Trail from Boulder to end of pavement;
Capitol Reef Drive;
Highway 24 from Torrey to Hanksville;
Highway 95 from Hanksville to Blanding;
Highway 191 from Blanding to Moab;
Highway 128 from Moab to Cisco'
etc, etc.

Monument Valley view from the VC/Hotel is great, especially at sunrise and sunset, but I wouldn't stay there all day. In between, you could easily drive to Valley of the Gods and Goosenecks State Park.

Jan 11, 2018 at 09:29 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

Actually, they re-did the whole road in Monument Valley. No potholes, etc. Very smooth, so that shouldn’t be a problem. (Unless the road deteriorated since I was there last May.)

Jan 11, 2018 at 09:50 PM
rjb6893
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Southwest Trip With A Handicapped Photograher

Not an expert, but been there a few times. I'd suggest that you stay mainly north of the Colorado given your time and walking restraints. Just some ideas
1 LV to Zion
2 spend day at Zion on the suggested easier trails; get to Bryce that night
3 sunrise at Bryce and an easy walk (could be cold); UT 12 (spectacular drive); stay at Torrey
4 Capitol Reef scenic drive and flat canyon walk(s) Stay at Hanksville?
5-7 choices: do a two-day touristy loop hitting Arches,Canyonlands, Trail of the Ancients & Bicentennial Highway back to Hanksville and retrace via UT12 (maybe start down Burr Trail then over to Escalante and 12), etc. OR go south through MV, maybe South Rim drive, then book it back to LV.
Have fun and be sure to post some pictures!

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:32 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.