New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2018 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

The Stone Age is over.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9412023216/samyang-unveils-af-14mm-f2-8-ef-its-first-autofocus-lens-for-canon
Let's just hope they update their whole range in the same vein (from 20 to 135mm).

Jan 08, 2018 at 10:51 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

Interesting...

Jan 08, 2018 at 10:53 AM
pointbob
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

After shooting with 14mm and 12mm manual lenses over the last cpl of years i really don't miss AF at all. Sort of over rated actually. I'd rather have a cheaper lighter lens with the same glass IQ then pay extra and fatter for AF. Perhaps at narrower FOV af is more useful..but UWA..AF is not a big deal.

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:42 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

The stone age is over, and it shows because despite extra functionality it is significantly lighter than their former 2.8/14mm. And I like lighter gear

On the other side, the price doubled so while it is still very cheap compared to the Canon, one has to wonder how competitive other Samyang AF lenses will be (some Canon consumer lenses like recent EF-S zooms and some recent EF primes with modest specs offer a lot of bang for the buck).

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:43 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

pointbob wrote:
After shooting with 14mm and 12mm manual lenses over the last cpl of years i really don't miss AF at all. Sort of over rated actually. I'd rather have a cheaper lighter lens with the same glass IQ then pay extra and fatter for AF. Perhaps at narrower FOV af is more useful..but UWA..AF is not a big deal.

At least it isn't fatter, the old lens was 552 grams and the new AF version is 485 grams. Hopefully they improved IQ, otherwise I agree it might not be such a good deal.

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:46 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

Well I really enjoyed the manual focus 14mm 2.8 I had, so this is right up my alley

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:45 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

Why not the 2.4??

Not that I really care for af in lenses this wide anyhow

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:55 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

pointbob wrote:

I'll say this: I tried shooting a model in studio lighting with a full manual (no electronics) lens, actually this lens' manual predecessor for a dramatic angle, and getting critical focus was a challenge- at 14mm f/8 .

Just having auto-aperture and focus confirm would be a blessing; hopefully Samyang does a decent job with manual-focus feel!

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:09 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

If it’s got a lot less distortion, is at least as good for coma as the current MF version, then it might be worth a look, but I think the 2.4 is more appealing given how well it performs and AF is not really that important at this FL, set it at f/8, focus in the neighbourhood of hyperfocal and everything is in focus anyway.

Jan 09, 2018 at 12:11 AM

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

pointbob wrote:

My experience has been to the contrary. Then again, maybe I just don't envision using MF lenses for anything, and the 14mm range (which is served by an old Sigma in my case) is no exception.

Jan 09, 2018 at 01:47 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

Wow didn't realise the price was 2.5x higher than the MF version and now close too the 14 f/2.4 XP. Also why is it so much dearer than the similar Sony FE AF version. Maybe the price will be cut after a short while, unless it's optically superb, which would then make the XP version endangered.

Jan 09, 2018 at 01:56 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

johnctharp wrote:
I'll say this: I tried shooting a model in studio lighting with a full manual (no electronics) lens, actually this lens' manual predecessor for a dramatic angle, and getting critical focus was a challenge- at 14mm f/8 .

Just having auto-aperture and focus confirm would be a blessing; hopefully Samyang does a decent job with manual-focus feel!

Good point, AF often comes at a cost to MF control ;-(

On the other side, AF is helpful when using Liveview focusing. I use this a lot with my 10-18mm (tap screen where you want focus) but I haven't tested if it is really more accurate than MF focusing with focus confirm. From what I understand, some cameras are less accurate when confirming focus in MF mode compared to AF mode (possibly including Liveview focusing).

Jan 09, 2018 at 06:22 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

The Samyang 14/2.8 that I had was decentered, and that got worse over time and did not thus havethat overall sharpness that some reviewers praised it for. Today, I would probably go for the Irix 15/2.4 Blackstone. There is an intersting shootout between those two here:

http://blog.foto24.com/comparison-irix-15mm-vs-samyang-14mm/

No AF, of course but then you still have to put alot of atention where the focusplane ends up if you are playing this wide...

Jan 09, 2018 at 06:35 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

For me, the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 made the samyang 14mm moot. Once the Tammy came out, I sold my well centered Samyang and haven't missed it. Good to have choices and market competition.

Jan 09, 2018 at 08:27 AM

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

dgdg wrote:
For me, the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 made the samyang 14mm moot. Once the Tammy came out, I sold my well centered Samyang and haven't missed it. Good to have choices and market competition.

Good point but those who have other wideangles as their primary ones - like myself with 17-35 L and then the various 16-35 L lenses - still have their uses for a 14mm lens (in my case, a film era Sigma 14mm f/2.8). Of course, an even wider prime (say, a 12mm f/3.5~f/4.5) would have been an even more interesting proposition...

Jan 09, 2018 at 10:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

Snopchenko wrote:
The Stone Age is over.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9412023216/samyang-unveils-af-14mm-f2-8-ef-its-first-autofocus-lens-for-canon
Let's just hope they update their whole range in the same vein (from 20 to 135mm).

I wonder if Zeiss will ever follow suit.

EBH

Jan 14, 2018 at 03:56 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

EB-1 wrote:

Sure they will, for mirrorless...

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/int/photography/products/batis-lenses/batis-2818.html#data

Jan 15, 2018 at 03:05 AM

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

That's an interesting question. A few years ago I would've said "no" resolutely, but since they've started making AF lenses for Sony and Fuji mirrorless, I'm not so sure. Anything can happen - after all, Samyang has been stuck in the stone age for god knows how long, but they did break out after all, if only tentatively.

Jan 15, 2018 at 03:38 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

Snopchenko wrote:
That's an interesting question. A few years ago I would've said "no" resolutely, but since they've started making AF lenses for Sony and Fuji mirrorless, I'm not so sure. Anything can happen - after all, Samyang has been stuck in the stone age for god knows how long, but they did break out after all, if only tentatively.

Nikon has FF mirrorless on the agenda and I don't think that they will use the old flange but something between 15 and 25. Canon will most likely follow suit and Zeiss has the AF lenses for such amount ready to go, if they get a license for it...

Jan 15, 2018 at 04:54 AM

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Samyang 14mm AF lens is announced

I was almost afraid to ask, why have people been so sure that Nikon is going to make another mirrorless system.

Jan 15, 2018 at 05:01 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.