New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2018 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

LMT1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

Done thousands of focus stacks (mostly handheld) with my Tamron 60f2 and never found distortion to be a problem (subject movement is the biggest issue but most software can compensate for this as long as it is fairly minor). I use my 60f2 (crop/DX lens) on my D600 and IQ is still stellar so I find it hard to believe that the 105VR doesn't cut the mustard on a D850. Also when focus stacking you can use more optimal apertures (eg. f8-f11) where diffraction is less evident on these high MP bodies.

Cheers
Leigh

Jan 07, 2018 at 04:56 PM
jbear
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

My favorite macro lens of all time was the Nikon 200AFD...until I got the Sigma 180 2.8 OS. Still love the Nikon, but that Sigma is pretty amazing. I did a fairly detailed "diary" on Nikonians of my experience in deciding upon that lens and my observations...if you're interested. I'm Stratbear over there. I'll have a D850 tomorrow if the weather allows, and if there's any significant change in performance I'll let you know.
Currently using the 105VR (plays very well with tc's), Tamron 90 Di, and Tamron 90 VC (004), but I have pretty much had them all (f-mount...AF and MF)...except Zeiss. If you find a macro lens that performs poorly to the point where you can see it in a print...that's the day to play the lottery.
Note: I used to only shoot macro from a tripod, and I would manual focus exclusively. Now I hand hold in a kayak a lot, and I find AF and VR/VC/OS to be effective and invaluable.

Jan 07, 2018 at 05:11 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

This has been a fascinating thread. Previously I have erred away from Macro for the price entry level and lenses not having VR or OS. Of course having a tripod is great but you don't always have one around and not so convenient. The 105 f2.8 VR at the price level was a great choice, but surprisingly there is a Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro OS for about 400 USD locally so I have a feeling I will also pick this lens up. It comes down to cost/performance proposition and some of these lenses have been great value. My wife has the D750 and does a lot of product shots so having another Macro will be great.

Here is a review comparing the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro and the Voigtlander SL I 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar on the D810

http://www.closeuphotography.com/sigma-150mm-macro-lens/2017/9/7/sigma-150mm-f28-ex-dg-os-hsm-apo-macro

Great thread!

Edited on Jan 10, 2018 at 11:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2018 at 09:26 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

I really like the 180 Tamron, and Ive heard and read good things about the 150 sigma. Even the non-OS version.

Jan 09, 2018 at 12:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

Rather than the Nikon R1C1 at over 600 bux, I got the Meike ringlight. TTL and only 73 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SHYDM2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am still using my Sigma 105 macro from my film days with the N80.

Jan 10, 2018 at 05:57 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

Having purchased a used Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro I have been amazed with the IQ. What I did not realize at the time the optical stabilization unit was not working properly. I have a copy of the original receipt from the seller and called the Sigma repair center and the lens is being repaired under warranty even though the lens is outside its warranty period of 2 years.

Kudos to Sigma as they really lifted their game!!!

Jan 15, 2018 at 05:40 AM
hyperhad

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

Hello. New to the forum. Been watching. Lots of good information and advice here.

I just purchased a D850. I have a Nikon 200mm F4 Micro, which does not work with the focus stacking feature on the camera.
I am thinking of getting a Sigma 150 or 180 Macro. Has anyone used the D850 and one of those Sigma lenses to focus stack?
Have there been any compatibility issues between the D850 and the Sigma? I contacted Sigma, who could not tell me.
Anyone?
I have read that the 150 was weather sealed, and the 180 was not. Sigma does not say. I see yes and not on lots of forums and reviews. anyone have a definitive answer.
Thanks.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:34 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

hyperhad wrote:
Hello. New to the forum. Been watching. Lots of good information and advice here.

I just purchased a D850. I have a Nikon 200mm F4 Micro, which does not work with the focus stacking feature on the camera.
I am thinking of getting a Sigma 150 or 180 Macro. Has anyone used the D850 and one of those Sigma lenses to focus stack?
Have there been any compatibility issues between the D850 and the Sigma? I contacted Sigma, who could not tell me.
Anyone?
I have read that the 150 was weather sealed, and the 180 was not. Sigma does not say. I see
...Show more

I have the D850/D750 and 105 f/2.8 Macro G and the Sigma 150 f/2.8 OS. Both lenses work great. The only issue with Sigma lenses is that they are not weather sealed. In terms of IQ the Sigma 150 f/2.8 OS is superb and as a 150mm FL is very good compromise of size/weight and reach.

Edited on Jan 19, 2018 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2018 at 03:22 AM
daleg
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

Interesting thread, one that I look forward to following. I enjoy close-up botanicals & have recently been using several zeiss and voigtländer lenses, on various Nikon F film bodies, a Df & adapted to several Canon & Fuji bodies, I expect to add the D850 in the near future - if/when both funds and camera are simultaneously available!

I've looked long and hard at the APO-Lanthar 125/2.5, and still think about it. Its renderings are near other-worldly. there's a 3+ minute botanical youtube video that's breathtaking, it's easy to find.

Cosina, who now owns the Voigtländer name, only made this lens in small quantities - for local (Japan) release - & only in 2001-2002. While Cosina badged the lens as a Voigtländer APO-Lanthar, I've been told that it was/is a Cosina design - with little, if any, historical or design ties to its badging. I've seen this lens sell normally for ~$1,500 to $2,500 (3 to 6x its original price) and for as high as near $5,000. classic supply vs demand. word spread and sadly supply was cut off & it was never released outside of Japan. It's now over 15 years since this lens was discontinued.

Its closest competitor - in-kind - is (was) the Zeiss (classic) Makro-Planar T* 100/2 - also made by Cosina, but under license. Today it's the Milvus 100mm. I've heard the APO-Lanthar was considered so significantly superior to Zeiss's design, that CZ leaned on Cosina to discontinue it, which would explain its sad and unfortunately premature demise and curtailed distribution. so nixnay on an AI-P type SL II Apo-Lanthar 125.

Meanwhile, having killed the apo-lanthar, CZ discontinued the "classic" line in favor of the milvus/otus lines. sad. and for the price of the milvus 100, you can - maybe - find an apo-lanthar 125. hint, as the milvus has few, if any optical advantages over the classic, don't hold your breath for an apo-lanthar 125/2.5 SL II. Damnit. So now the CZ "classic" - Makro Planar T* 100/2 ZF.2 is becoming a less frequently seen used lens.

Cosina, several years ago also discontinued the APO-Lanthar's lesser sibling, the APO-Lanthar SL II 90/3.5 - which had been widely distributed and is more commonly available ~$550. The SL I, which resembles the 125/2.5, can also be found but at higher prices - 'though the SL II has no disadvantages - but is without the multi-color barrel stripes.

So, right now, I'm undecided about the best lens to render botanical close-ups on the higher resolution D850. Just don't know - yet.

fwiw: the APO-Lanthar is 1:1 and the CZ classic/Milvus is 1:2. also, I have 3 zeiss classics, including the 85/1.4 & 135/2, so I am not a zeiss critic. then again, I have 3 voigtländers - but sadly - not the apo-lanthar 125/2.5, at least yet.

Jan 19, 2018 at 04:09 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

I have been keeping an eye for the APO-Lanthar 125/2.5 but the pricing is very high and no AF. This lens is definitely on my list. The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS is great balance of reach, size/weight with AF/OS and at excellent price.

Jan 19, 2018 at 04:51 PM
daleg
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

charles.K wrote:
I have been keeping an eye for the APO-Lanthar 125/2.5 but the pricing is very high and no AF. This lens is definitely on my list. The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS is great balance of reach, size/weight with AF/OS and at excellent price.

current prices I've seen: the zeiss milvus is ~$1850 new at b&h and there are a couple apo-lanthars on ebay within $100 of the milvus. used zeiss 100 classics are ~$1500, used at b&h.

just curious - is there a reason for OS (stabilization) on a micro/macro lens?

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:16 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

daleg wrote:
current prices I've seen: the zeiss milvus is ~$1850 new at b&h and there are a couple apo-lanthars on ebay within $100 of the milvus. used zeiss 100 classics are ~$1500, used at b&h.

The OS on the Sigma 150 Macro is very good. I have a great test bed as I was at first happy with the Sigma 150/2.8 and then realized the OS was not working properly. I had just purchased a mint copy locally for 400 USD and fortunately Sigma fixed the OS in 3 days no charge even though the lens was 2 1/2 years old. Having a full working OS does make a difference. Often I just prefer no tripod and set the D850 on CH and grab a sequence of 4 shots. It works extremely well.

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:25 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

daleg wrote:

Stabilized macros have lots of uses. If you use them for anything else, like portraits, the stabilization obviously helps. At least on the Nikon version the VR is tuned specifically for macro distances and works really well there. As long as the lighting is OK, you don't need a tripod at all and everything stays nice and stable. The AF and VR work great almost all the way down to 1:1, conditions permitting. Also if you use the lens to track the movement of an insect or some other small creature, a stabilized viewfinder makes it much easier to do that.

I probably would not buy a macro lens without VR these days, it's just so convenient. Anytime I don't have to pull out a tripod, I am happier and it's far less hassle. The exception might be something like the Tokina 100mm where it's so cheap that you can't really complain about anything.

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:27 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

charles.K wrote:
This has been a fascinating thread. Previously I have erred away from Macro for the price entry level and lenses not having VR or OS. Of course having a tripod is great but you don't always have one around and not so convenient. The 105 f2.8 VR at the price level was a great choice, but surprisingly there is a Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro OS for about 400 USD locally so I have a feeling I will also pick this lens up. It comes down to cost/performance proposition and some of these lenses have been great value. My wife has
...Show more

You can get into playing with macros basically free or very cheaply to see if you find it fun.

You can Littererly take a prime like a 24/28/35/50 ai-s or af-d and flip it around on the body holding it next to it and shoot macro, or take something like a 135 2.8 Ai-s and a reversing ring and put a 28 2.8 stacked on it backwards

You can get really close macros like this and the challenge of it makes it fun.

Use a speedlight off camera with a manually set flash sync speeds etc too.

Jan 20, 2018 at 01:41 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

90 5.0 wrote:
You can get into playing with macros basically free or very cheaply to see if you find it fun.

You can Littererly take a prime like a 24/28/35/50 ai-s or af-d and flip it around on the body holding it next to it and shoot macro, or take something like a 135 2.8 Ai-s and a reversing ring and put a 28 2.8 stacked on it backwards

You can get really close macros like this and the challenge of it makes it fun.

Use a speedlight off camera with a manually set flash sync speeds etc too.

I have always loved the world of macros but a lot of gear is very cumbersome. I have the Nikon 105 f/2.8 VR Macro and Sigma 150 f/2.8 OS. We do a lot of product shoots and having both lenses is excellent. I find the AF on the Nikon 105 is faster and more accurate. The Sigma 150 has not evolved to the Art version.. yet and is marginally slower in AF and accuracy. For quick product shots the Nikon 105 is better, but the IQ with the Sigma 150 is better.

Also I do have a set of Kenko extenstion tubes when I need a quick fix

Jan 20, 2018 at 05:22 PM
GiantTristan
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Macro lens for botanical photography on the D850

Used to have the Tokina 100/2.8 which is a very good and reasonably priced lens. About ten years ago, I replaced the Tokina with the Zeiss 100/2 which at that time was the sharpest macro lens available. This "old" Zeiss lens performs exceedingly well on the D850. The lens is very sharp at all apertures and distances, it is also excellent for portraits and general photography.

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.