Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

gqllc007
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Mine arrived 2 minutes ago. I un boxed it and the lens look clear but the it has a rattle to it. None of my other IS lens have a rattle. Sounds like something is loose?? Is that normal?? Like something is banging against the inside walls of the lens body? This has not even been put on the camera body yet. Think Ice cube inside hard plastic cup

Jan 02, 2018 at 01:26 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Have you mounted the lens on the camera yet? What do you hear when operating the lens? Have heard this before with 100l and also this lens when the lens is not properly demounted

Jan 02, 2018 at 02:10 PM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

I have not mounted it as of yet. I was just reading where Canon says to mount it and then activate the IS and wait till it goes off before unmounting it

Jan 02, 2018 at 02:12 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

.. As long as it's not ticking .. I'd follow Canons instructions

Jan 02, 2018 at 02:39 PM
scobols

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Weird - I just noticed this on mine this past weekend. I panicked a bit, too. When you mount it on the camera, however, the rattle is gone. At least when the camera is turned on. Take it off and it rattles again.

Now that I've heard someone else noticed it, I'm not as concerned. The lens functions fine. Maybe that's just the way it is.

Scott

Jan 02, 2018 at 03:51 PM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Wow Weird. I have had Canon's since 1975 and then as soon as their first IS lens came out. I have never ever had even one rattle. I have MANY IS lens and this is the first to do that. Its a pretty decent rattle and is quite disconcerting

Jan 02, 2018 at 03:54 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

gqllc007 wrote:
Wow Weird. I have had Canon's since 1975 and then as soon as their first IS lens came out. I have never ever had even one rattle. I have MANY IS lens and this is the first to do that. Its a pretty decent rattle and is quite disconcerting

This may be a product of the wide aperture of the lens, the diminutive lens size relative to its capabilities (f/1.4, IS, fast AF), and the desire for ever more effective stabilization, which might imply more travel in the lens elements for greater compensation.

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:00 PM
scott_sauer

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Have you tried mounting the lens, turning on the camera, activate the IS so you know it’s working, then turn off the IS switch to force it to lock the element in place. Then take it off and see what it does.

My Pentax 645 90mm macro lens shakes when it’s off as well. I think it could be related to the size of the element that is has to stabilize, cos that’s a big lens also.

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:19 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

My lens just got here an hour ago and I had the exact same experience. Wasn't a rattle really. Felt more like something falling back and forth inside the lens. Weird. Put it on the camera, powered up and it's all gone now. Take the lens back off and no movement or rattle. They should really let us know what to expect.

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:27 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

I've never heard any rattle like that on my lenses. Weird. I hope the lens works out with no further issues. Perhaps a one-off?

Jan 02, 2018 at 05:55 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

It's when IS goes initially ON and then OFF making a short clanky noise.

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:02 PM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

adamx12m wrote:
It's when IS goes initially ON and then OFF making a short clanky noise.
no that’s not it at all. This is prior to ever putting lens in. A clunk or ice cube in a plastic cup sound. I will mount it tomorrow morning and see what happens

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:09 PM
skinnydipper

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Have you read this explanation from Canon?

Mike

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:20 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

gqllc007 wrote:
no that’s not it at all. This is prior to ever putting lens in. A clunk or ice cube in a plastic cup sound. I will mount it tomorrow morning and see what happens

I've had this lens for a few days now but nothing really sounds out of whack. Mounted on a body and powered off, if I almost shake it vertically I can hear what I think is the IS mechanism moving, but nothing shaking it horizontally.

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:22 PM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

skinnydipper wrote:
Have you read this explanation from Canon?

Mike

I have. And I am hoping that’s it

Jan 02, 2018 at 07:02 PM
iplayazi
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Definitely has an ISSUE! Its an amazing lens <3 I have that same rattle. Shake it when its off the camera. (not too much) Its some sort of floating stabilization I think. The 100mm L Macro has the exact same thing

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:23 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

It seems like it was only when I first unpacked the lens - felt like something sliding back and forth about an inch internally, but as soon as it was on the camera and powered up it's gone, and stays gone with the camera off and lens removed. Seems okay now but definitely not the same behavior as any previous IS lens I've had.

Jan 02, 2018 at 11:22 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

I noticed the exact same thing and was worried sick because it was 3/4 of the way through a wedding I shot mostly with that 85.

Then I got home and saw my RAWs and decided the rattle must make it a better lens.

It is a little disconcerting though, I will say that. But I think it must be due to the extreme lens design (somewhere Canon said the IS module is approx the same size as the 400 f/2.8).

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:47 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Yes the 100L is doing the same thing, but that lens has been in my bag for many years and been producing great pictures ever since so I am not worried at all

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:30 AM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Canon 85 1.4 IS issue??

Ok I put the lens on the body and took a few pictures. I let the IS spool down and turn off. I removed the lens and now the rattle is gone. It acts like all my other IS lens

Jan 03, 2018 at 06:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.