New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Bingo123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Howdy,

Son has Easter break from HS starting March 29. He is 18 & I am 58.

Budget of $2000.

Where/what would you recommend spending a week photographing.

Both of us are comfortable with our DSLRs.

Jim

Jan 02, 2018 at 12:16 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

IMO hands down, it's Southern Utah: Zion, Bryce, and all the red sandstone canyons around there. Plenty of lodging at the entries to Zion and Bryce. Easy to fly into Las Vegas and drive from there. Depending on what you're into, Zion and Bryce can easily occupy your week, probably with more time at Zion. It's all about the light bouncing off the red sandstone and penetrating into the canyons in these places, not dashing from place to place, so don't lose your best photo ops by trying to cover too much territory in your week's visit.

For example, an iconic view at Zion is The Watchman photographed from the bridge in the late afternoon/evening. You will share that space with many other photographers taking photos as the late-day light illuminates the peaks and changes into night. From daybreak to night you will see the light successively lighting up different parts of Zion canyon, backlighting and spot-lighting different views of the canyon. Don't be turned off by the enforced shuttle service at Zion. There's not much waiting, and it's better than hunting for a parking spot.

Jan 02, 2018 at 02:56 PM
Bingo123

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Thanks, that’s a great suggestion. He likes to drive.
I found a photo travel guide on Utah at http://shop.photographamerica.com/Zion-Bryce-National-Park-Utah-p/012-pdf.htm.

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:25 PM
Bingo123

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

How about Iceland in March. Air fare is reasonable. A photo/travel guide or guide book to ensure time is well spent.

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:35 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Rather than ask a bunch of random strangers for their "pet" destinations, why not discuss with your kid?

I'd agree that the lower elevations of Utah are superb in early April. (Bryce will still be an ice box.) The nights are still crisp, but the days are often utterly gorgeous. Go visit Grand Staircase before they start ripping up chunks of it.

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:28 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

You didn't say what you two enjoy/want to photograph. The end of March/beginning of April is prime bird migration time in several parts of the country, and you could easily get birds and landscapes in one trip.

Landscapes? Do you want snowy mountains, starkness, lush? Try to narrow it down for us (and you!).

Death Valley can be very nice that time of year. You could fly into Las Vegas, spend some time in DV, head along the eastern Sierra or go to Valley of Fire State Park, and back to Vegas. There's a lot of nice desert photography around DV, including Joshua Tree and 29 Palms. If you wanted to do those, consider flying in/out of LAX or Vegas and renting a car. Problem is, that's Spring Break time and lodging may be getting sparse now, and may be "high season" pricing.

Bryce could be beautiful then if there's snow (Kodachrome Basin is near there as well), as could Arches and Zion.

Interested in nice coastal photography? Try a week along the Oregon Coast, especially south of Newport.

Historic places? Try the D.C. area and perhaps explore some of the Civil War sites. If you rent a car, that area has a lot to offer, although the weather may be iffy. One thing I like about D.C. is it's got architecture, zoo, museum, garden, and landscape opportunities all within easy reach, although lodging is a bit on the high side.

There are so many places that are good for that time of year. I'd be a bit concerned about Spring Break crowds and being able to find reasonably priced lodging.

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:56 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Bingo123 wrote:
How about Iceland in March. Air fare is reasonable. A photo/travel guide or guide book to ensure time is well spent.

Lodging and food in Iceland are particularly expensive, so it's tough if you have a limited budget and you want to enjoy yourself when you are not shooting.

Jan 03, 2018 at 12:19 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Southern Utah is always a photographically rich environment. Late March may not be the ideal time, but it is always good. (In my experience, the peak spring photography comes a bit later than that in this area — though the number of visitors in the popular park areas also increases.)

My late March go to location here in California is Death Valley and other nearby desert locations. That may or may not be everyone else's taste in subjects, but if you like the desert this area provides that in plenty. I often visit between the Christmas holiday period and as late as the middle of April. April is still often quite good, but it is starting to get a lot hotter by then — but in March you'll likely have some wonderful weather.

The California coast is also worthy of a week at this time of year. You'd have time to do the whole thing, from the SoCal beaches, up the Big Sur coastline (with one break for a section of closed roadway), past San Francisco, and on up into redwood country.

Dan

Jan 03, 2018 at 12:07 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

I support the suggestion of southern Utah, with special opportunities for father/son hiking. The national parks are great, but there are many other places, as well. Some attractions require 4WD, but they are worth it. In some of the remote places, I sleep in my Jeep to be there for sunset and sunrise.

Lots of options. To do southern Utah, I would look at St, George airport. I've met people there several times.

Jan 03, 2018 at 08:35 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

We took our daughter for her first trip to Zion on spring break the first week of April. The waterfalls were raging and it was incredible. We went back the next year in late April and waterfalls were dry. I guess timing is everything. Hiking that time of year is the best, near freezing early morning, 70º by afternoon.

Jan 04, 2018 at 08:39 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Hello? OP? Are you there?

Jan 05, 2018 at 11:10 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Greg Campbell wrote:
Rather than ask a bunch of random strangers for their "pet" destinations, why not discuss with your kid?

I'd agree that the lower elevations of Utah are superb in early April. (Bryce will still be an ice box.) The nights are still crisp, but the days are often utterly gorgeous. Go visit Grand Staircase before they start ripping up chunks of it.

I think the OP's user name is very appropriate for the question he is asking. Because he is basically playing bingo. Does not say what type of photography they enjoy. Does not specify fitness level and tolerance for lack of creature comforts or temperature variations. Limits the geographic area to "anywhere in Europe or North America".

The only possible answer to this question is
1. Go to http://www.amazon.com
2. Type in "photographing Europe"
3. Repeat with "photographing the united states"
4. And finally do once more with "photographing Canada"

Sort results by star rating, buy the top books, and go the the spots listed there.

Most of us here don't mind helping out, but there has to be SOME thought given to the question before asking it.

Jan 06, 2018 at 08:56 PM
Bingo123

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Yep I am here.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Sorry about the lack of additional info.

Jim

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:03 PM
glennb2
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Zion, Bryce and Death Valley (easily accessible dunes near Furnace Creek but lodging could be expensive.) are amazing. All are within reach from Vegas. Flights to Vegas are cheap. Car rental from Vegas is cheap and with unlimited mileage you can plan stop off points at all those locations. Timing is very important. I drove through the dark to get to Bryce for sunrise. Scary drive with lots of deer beside the road. (My budget was very limited or else I would have booked a place near Bryce and simply got up early for sunrise. BUT even the scary ride was justified when I caught a view of Bryce at sunrise. Absolutely spectacular. You'll get photos you'll cherish forever. A tour bus arrived later in the morning ( 9 AM ) full of oriental tourists who had come a long way for great shots. I felt sorry for them to have come so far only to have missed the magical early morning lighting...all for the sake of a few hours..they didn't know what they missed.
We also drove to Antelope Canyon...an iconic photographic marvel. (You can wait until the sun is at it's highest for your best shots). Anyway,you can google these locations in relation to a car rental trip with Vegas as a home base. Except for Antelope canyon which is the farthest point, early morning and end of daylight is definitely the time.
The whole drive offers endless vistas and wide open photography opportunities. And .....no traffic during the entire trip.

Regarding Europe, just checked out England, Scotland, and Ireland. Despite the fact she has family connections in Scotland and England, I was surprised that she and her husband fell in love with Ireland. They claim it was absolutely beautiful.

Jan 01, 2019 at 01:21 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

It's hard to argue with Zion the first week of April. I had one of my best weeks of photos there at that time with the waterfalls all roaring. But that doesn't happen at that same time each year, or do they have that volume.

Since the OP is in Maryland, I'll just throw out the Smokies as spring takes hold at that time. It would be a rather easy drive for the most part and then it would be easy to bring what you wanted in the car. However, I understand if Zion and that area of Utah has your name, it would be tough to beat if you haven't been there before.

Jan 01, 2019 at 04:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Bingo123 wrote:
Yep I am here.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Sorry about the lack of additional info.

Jim

Well provide it now and you might get some more suggestions that suite your needs better. So far everyone is suggesting landscape locations...is that what you like to shoot?

Jan 02, 2019 at 09:14 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

Thread necro for some reason. OP should be telling us how his trip went 9 months ago...

Jan 02, 2019 at 04:28 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

It depends on what you want to photograph. For wildlife I would head to Florida and or Louisiana. For the ocean I would go to Georgia and explore its shoreline and outer islands.

I would not spend $2000 on airfare to go to the southwest and then spend another $200 a day or more on food and lodging and another $80 a day on a rental car. I would look at areas within a 2000 mile loop from my house so I spent as little time driving as possible.

Jan 06, 2019 at 01:04 PM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

I agree with Elkhorn. If it is Easter break, I would avoid flying and start driving. Half of your budget will be consumed with flying there. Wherever you want to go you can be there in a day with both of you driving. Rent a roomie car or truck, you are going to be renting one anyways and if it breaks down... hey it's not your car and they will replace it. That will save a bunch of money and you can splurge on the things that will create a great trip. Gas is relatively cheap at the moment so that wont be too big of an expense either.

Charlie

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Advice in 1 week anywhere in US, Canada, Europe

PEOPLE!!! You can stop replying now!

This thread is a YEAR OLD and the O.P., who never really participated in a meaningful way, is LONG gone!

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.