New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lake Louise

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lake Louise

This is for the ones who have been there and done it. Lake Louise; what time of the year one tends to get fabulous pictures? Winter? Summer? or in between?

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:06 PM
Nick_Brisbane

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lake Louise

We went in late September which also enables you to get to Moraine Lake before they close the road. You'll find Lake Louise 3/4 or so through this post:

http://nickbrisbane.zenfolio.com/blog/2017/11/jasper-to-lake-louise

Dec 29, 2017 at 03:17 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lake Louise

I find September the best month to photograph in and around Lake Louise. Quite often the peaks will have a dusting of snow, the larches turned yellow, the brush turning all sorts of reds and the tourists gone. I never go during the crazy summer months.

Dec 29, 2017 at 09:14 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lake Louise

Nick_Brisbane wrote:
We went in late September which also enables you to get to Moraine Lake before they close the road. You'll find Lake Louise 3/4 or so through this post:

http://nickbrisbane.zenfolio.com/blog/2017/11/jasper-to-lake-louise

wonderful photos. Thanks. We will aim for this time.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:32 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lake Louise

chez wrote:
I find September the best month to photograph in and around Lake Louise. Quite often the peaks will have a dusting of snow, the larches turned yellow, the brush turning all sorts of reds and the tourists gone. I never go during the crazy summer months.

Thanks Chez. We will try for Sept 2018.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lake Louise

Robert, if you are going to be around the Lake Louise area, I'd recommend that you also look into the Lake Ohara area. It's my favorite location to photograph in that area and has beautiful glacial lakes with amazing peaks all around. Lovely hiking in the area as well.

There is a quota system in place which limits the number of people that are taken into the area by bus. It's very popular and I believe the quota's are available 3 months in advance. There is very nice camping facilities at the lake and a really nice lodge with cabins.

Personally, I'd spend my time at Lake Ohara rather than Lake Louise.

Dec 30, 2017 at 07:35 PM
wayneng
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lake Louise

I personally really liked my visit in September this past year, right when the larch was coming out. I strongly recommend coming in the morning for sunrise as the light hitting the glacier is great and helps you to avoid the crowds.

I think compositionally it is really symmetrical though so try to plan ahead if you want to make the most of your time there.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:11 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lake Louise

chez wrote:
Robert, if you are going to be around the Lake Louise area, I'd recommend that you also look into the Lake Ohara area. It's my favorite location to photograph in that area and has beautiful glacial lakes with amazing peaks all around. Lovely hiking in the area as well.

There is a quota system in place which limits the number of people that are taken into the area by bus. It's very popular and I believe the quota's are available 3 months in advance. There is very nice camping facilities at the lake and a really nice lodge with cabins.

Personally,
...Show more

Thanks for the great idea. Should I just fly there and rent a car?

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:12 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lake Louise

Yes fly into Calgary and rent from the airport.

Dec 31, 2017 at 03:07 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lake Louise

chez wrote:
Yes fly into Calgary and rent from the airport.

Danke viel mal!

Dec 31, 2017 at 06:32 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lake Louise

And if you do as Chez suggests, try to have a look around Canmore and Kananaskis Country (east of Banff). Gorgeous place in September with landscape and wildlife opportunities. I think there was a thread in this forum about it a year or 2 ago, and there's lots of info available online. You should allow a day for touring, or a half-day for a quick loop.

Kananaskis Trail (Paved highway 40) and Smith Dorrien Trail (good gravel) form a big loop that circles through Kananaskis country.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:59 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.