New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Skagit Eagles

Norm Shapiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skagit Eagles

I've visited Mt Vernon, WA many times to see my sister. But always in the late spring or summer. But I'll be there starting late morning on the 24th of this month and it looks like the best chance for sunshine might be the 24th and 25th. I'd appreciate thoughts on the closest places to Mt Vernon and best times of day that I might find some eagles. Thanks

Dec 21, 2017 at 08:22 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skagit Eagles

Go a little north on I-5 to WA20. West of the interstate, the delta is open farm land and should have snow geese and some eagles. East of the interstate, drive 20 all the way to Rockport. The road stays reasonably close to the river, and you should see eagles along the way. Some may be pretty far from the road and require some hiking if you care to get close.

Rockport holds an eagle festival each year, usually in January - Google it for details. During the festival, there are float trips that start in Rockport and go downriver, offering probably the best opportunities to shoot eagles. Check with the festival web site to identify the float trip operators, and call - see if they might be operating while you will be there.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:31 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skagit Eagles

bflood thanks for the tips. I might also try the south Skagit Highway off of 9 near Seder Woolley. I've been on that road before and it's near the river in some parts. Norm

Dec 22, 2017 at 02:16 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skagit Eagles

All check with Louie Champan who has a lot of eagle shots (presumably from the area)

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:44 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skagit Eagles

Thanks dalite. I've already PM'd someone who has posted several times recently about eagles in the area with no response. So I'm not going to bother anyone else.

Dec 23, 2017 at 04:08 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skagit Eagles

bflood wrote:
Go a little north on I-5 to WA20. West of the interstate, the delta is open farm land and should have snow geese and some eagles. East of the interstate, drive 20 all the way to Rockport. The road stays reasonably close to the river, and you should see eagles along the way. Some may be pretty far from the road and require some hiking if you care to get close.

Rockport holds an eagle festival each year, usually in January - Google it for details. During the festival, there are float trips that start in Rockport and go downriver, offering
...Show more

For the Skagit River delta area (also called Fir Island), take the Fir Island road west from the small town of Conway (which is just south of Mount Vernon). There have been a bunch (i.e., thousands) of snow geese along the Fir Island road yesterday and today (12/22 and 12/23). Also, driving around Fir Island, you will find plenty of Trumpeter Swans, and possibly some Tundra Swans. There were hundreds yesterday and today. There are also eagles and various raptors flying around Fir Island.

The suggestion for taking Highway 20 to Rockport is spot on! Howard Miller Steelhead Park is your first stop there. Then on to the rest stop around mile marker 100. Some other sites are mentioned:
https://skagiteagle.org/viewing-sites/

Good luck and have fun!
Keith W.

Dec 23, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Skagit Eagles

Thanks Keith

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:13 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.