Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

DaveFP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

Hi all -

I know it's a little thing but I need a hot shoe level for my Sony.

Some are advertised as Nikon/Canon compatible.

Which are best for Sony.

Looking for the small flat ones specifically but a reference to a large multi-bubble level would be welcome too.

PS - I am in the US.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:55 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

We are talking about the Sony A7 series or A9, right? There is one built in; you just have to bring it up by pushing the display button once or twice, depending on the setting of your camera. I think it is more convenient. It works fine, too BTW, at least, that has been my experience.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:00 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

I have the A7R II at the moment but I don't completely trust the electronic level.

I was looking for an external that might be easily referenced will standing next to the tripod.

Just a little thing I was going to throw into my tripod kit with with the plate, wrenches, etc.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

True, the way I look at it, it won't require a high degree of accuracy and just an approximation. It won't hurt, of course, to have something like that. I bought one for my DSLR system back then. I took it a few times but I ended up not using it. Not quite in the trash bin yet but I don't know where that thing is. But I understand that your mileage may vary...

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

AGeoJO wrote:
True, the way I look at it, it won't require a high degree of accuracy and just an approximation. It won't hurt, of course, to have something like that. I bought one for my DSLR system back then. I took it a few times but I ended up not using it. Not quite in the trash bin yet but I don't know where that thing is. But I understand that your mileage may vary...

I guess you are right.

I just bought the Sirui T-024X tripod in hopes that I would use one more often so I am all gung ho; .

Great tripod for our Sonys BTW.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

I gave a couple hot shoe levels. They're not very accurate. The hotshoe itself has to be perfectly level. If you do get one, there is a longer one, not the cube style, that is more useful.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:59 PM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

I've had four different hot shoe levels and none are accurate. Cubes and others, all inconsistent. You can take one of the cube levels and lay it on a level surface and find all three levels are different as you flip it around! If anyone knows of a bubble level that is accurate, I'd buy a few. I've resorted to buying a high quality small carpenters level and use on the body in two places when shooting architecture. I've found the camera body top on the left of hot shoe, is flat enough to be accurate. Side to side I use the hot shoe. It works for me but I'd rather have an easier way to do it. The internal level on the A7R2 is useless. I have gear heads and once level, you can crank the camera quite a bit before the level indicator moves at all. I haven't tried it with the A7R3 yet. My 2 cents.

Dec 17, 2017 at 01:31 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

I do the torpedo level thing too. Problem is I don't have lots of flat surfaces for all axes. I find close is often good enough, and fix the rest in post.

Dec 17, 2017 at 01:49 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

I have a tiny string level but the A7R II doesn't have good surfaces for it.

Also - I am using a basic ball head so it is best to see it all at once.

With a geared head you can finesse each tilt independently.

Dec 17, 2017 at 01:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hotshoe bubble level for Alpha bodies ?

This is something I immediately noticed when moving from Canon to the Sony A7R...their electronic level is not very accurate and this feature was never improved. I try using it as best as I can but find myself tweaking things up in post.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.