New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Seattle in late December

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seattle in late December

Going to be the Seattle area during Christmas. Suggestion on places in the city and any areas where I might find eagles or snowy owls.

Dec 15, 2017 at 05:52 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seattle in late December

For eagles, go to the Skagit River valley, including the delta.

Dec 15, 2017 at 08:03 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seattle in late December

Not sure that there are any snowy owls around the Puget Sound this year. I have only heard of one, and it has been on private property. For bald eagles, here are some suggestions, which are about an hour and a half north of Seattle:

1. the Nooksack River. Take the Mt. Baker Highway (WA highway 542) to just past the town of Deming. The next six or seven miles of river are really great right now for eagles. One particularly nice spot is the bridge over the river on the Mosquito Lake road.

2. the Skagit River. The Skagit delta (i.e., Fir Island, just west of the small town of Conway) is good for eagles year round. Better yet is an area north of there called the Samish flats - this area is west of the small town of Edison, and just south of Samish Island (which isn't really an Island). Even better than that is further up the Skagit River, near Rockport. There is a park there (Howard Miller Steelhead Park) that hosts a bald eagle festival (see https://skagiteagle.org/). There are various locations further up the river from there, but that park is a great place to start out.

Oddly enough, the weather forecast looks like it might be really nice around Christmas. You should be able to find plenty of eagles on these two rivers. Good luck and have fun!

Keith W.

Dec 19, 2017 at 04:29 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seattle in late December

Thanks to all

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:14 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seattle in late December

I used everyone's advice but the weather did not cooperate. Rain and snow and no eagles moving. Had fun met lots of other photographers. So it didn't work but had lots of fun. Got as far as the hatchery.

Dec 29, 2017 at 07:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seattle in late December

I'll second the nomination regarding Skagit Valley. In addition to eagles you can also see impressive trumpeter swans and flocks of snow geese.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:21 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seattle in late December

We saw both the swans and geese. Thanks again to all.

Jan 01, 2018 at 12:56 AM
StephenS_CP
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seattle in late December

l was able to come for yesterday and today. Clear sky and cold conditions. Best raptor photography I've ever had. Got good geese and swan photography near Fir Island. The geese were right up next to the road!

Thanks, Keith. I knew the Skagit Valley was good but your locations gave me direction.

Jan 01, 2018 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.