New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

hauxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

I'm in the prcess of setting up a timelapse project for a construction site that needs to be running for 3-5 years. Since it's a very long project I that might be hundreds of thousands of frames I want to use a mirrorless camera for the job. Either Sony or Fuji and probably Fuji X since that's what I use daily. So I need an intervalometer that will work for long periods of time, either hardware or softwre. Does anyone here know of products that might be fitting for the job and will work with either Sony or Fuji ..or both?

I'm in the process of checking if a DIY box container would be feasible for harsh conditions or it would be wiser to go with an available product like T-Box ( https://tbox-timelapse.com ) or similar. If you know of reading material that could be of use for me it would be appreciated. At the moment I'm looking into modding a Peli case which would hold the camera battery/ups, intervalometer or Arduino/RasberryPi computer and some kind of storage device and even a heater to keep it operational when the temp goes below 0°C.

I did send a FB message to James Balog who made the excellent Chasing Ice Netflix movie where he had boxed D SLR cameras running for years researching the decline of glaciers here in Iceland and in Greenland. Hope he respods.

Cheers!
Hrannar

Dec 12, 2017 at 09:36 AM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

Wow, i read some of the case studies on the Tbox website, construction timelapse with shots every 30min :-) Construction doesn't move that fast where I come from

Sound like a great project, I look forward to seeing the results in 2022?

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

Sounds like fun! I think photoSentinel should be your fist stop for buying the required gear.

http://photosentinel.com/

This site also has some interesting general information you may find helpful:

https://timelapsenetwork.com/mini-tutorials/how-to-shoot-long-term-timelapse-equipment/

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

Gary Clennan wrote:
Sounds like fun! I think photoSentinel should be your fist stop for buying the required gear.

http://photosentinel.com/

This site also has some interesting general information you may find helpful:

https://timelapsenetwork.com/mini-tutorials/how-to-shoot-long-term-timelapse-equipment/

There is some great information on that site. I wonder how you plan to supply power to the camera for that length of time, without moving it? Does Fuji/Sony have an AC adapter available/

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

PhotoTeacher wrote:
There is some great information on that site. I wonder how you plan to supply power to the camera for that length of time, without moving it? Does Fuji/Sony have an AC adapter available/

I know the battery grip for the X-T2 has an AC adapter that can charge the batteries. I'm not sure if you can supply continuous power to the camera. Might have to check that out later.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:52 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

Photosentinel use Fujifilm X-A3 for their Mini box so Fuji should be possible to use with the larger boxes. There are 70m high tanks beside the construction site I can use to mount the timelapse box. It has power that is already powering a large christmas ornament on the top. I would possibly be using a car battery or UPS for emergency power outs/cuts.

Dec 13, 2017 at 08:49 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

Long term timelapse in far northern conditions add a few spices to the brew. I have some Canon 1000D's with Contax glass shooting a few shots a day throughout the year -> years.

Still pondering how the Outside should be conquered, I have them in windows at off grid locations. A 1000D with battery grip and manual lenses does 6 months without problems.

The most urgent problem is fogging and since a few months and a few months forward: ice. A healthy dose of snow/ice can blind a camera for weeks or months (never ever forget Murphy's law when doing long term jobs, plenty time to find a snag in the system...).

An other issue is sun angle. These days is rises in SSE, reaches 4° above the horizon midday, and sets in SSW less than 2 hours later. In mid summer it rises in NNE and sets 20 hours later in NNW. Reflections can destroy sequences of the day, for weeks or months. Direct sun light can fry the sensor.

Structures can and do change shape with temperature and humidity to a degree that matters to the end result. Yes indeed. Everything is dancing!

Check the accuracy of the timer! No-one is perfect. I found the Neewer NW-880 with supreme two layer timing (to allow shooting in the few hours of daylight and avoid all 30s black shots just emptying the batteries), well, itīs timer has a 1h 1min hour, actually 1h 59.44s hour. Pretty good for a 16 euro timer don't you think. Well worth it, though, with some added math.

And with Ol' Murph doing his best, check, double check AND use at least two totally separated and independent systems for mission critical work. "Hey guys! Can you please lift the roof back off of the nuclear reactor, my camera wasn't..." No, they won't!

Dec 15, 2017 at 04:28 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

EIS (James Balog) i think used small solar panels that were cost prohibitive back in 2007, but are MUCH cheaper now. Goal Zero, who is now owned by NRG makes some really nice panels. I am sure there are cheaper options available - but you could start by emailing them. A sony mirrorless can be charged by a solar panel directly, and add in a small battery pack for the non sun hours.

Dec 15, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Mike Deep
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

Commercial intervalometers typically don't have a quartz oscillator to keep accurate time. When I used to use them for remote triggering, I'd have to account for this even over a period of just a few days. I use repurposed utility timers with crystals now.

Dec 22, 2017 at 05:52 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Intervalometer for 3-5 year timelapse

Sadly they thought the project was too expensive. ...maybe next time... :P

Jan 10, 2018 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.