Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

sammichmaster

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

Hi FM forums,

I joined the FM forum in hopes of finding a used Fuji system as I have an outdated and aging canon 7D. I have encountered an issue being a new member and wanting to purchase said system. Now the question I ask, is there a way for us new members to verify our purchasing history from other sources so sellers can trust us? I have had an account with 100% feedback on eBay since 2003 and have been a member of photography on the net, because of my canon system, since 2006. I was recommended coming to FM by a user on reddit but I am having trouble getting any response from sellers here because of my lack of history on this specific forum.

Dec 11, 2017 at 06:00 PM
VictorJB
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

The best way to be recognized as a member is to be active in other parts of the forum besides buy & sell. Besides that, I’m honestly a little surprised sellers are passing on selling to you because of a lack of history. I’m happy to sell to anyone assuming they’re willing to pay with a verified PayPal account, are not an asshole and are not low balling me on the price.

Dec 11, 2017 at 06:19 PM
sammichmaster

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

I've seen people say "If they are a new member, there is an 80% chance they are a scammer" in buy/sell posts and assume that's why people have not been replying back to me. And I agree. I plan on becoming more active which I know will help establish cred here. Thanks for the response.

Dec 11, 2017 at 06:38 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

Well, let me tell you what you can do in the meantime:

Pay attention to what VictorJB told you!

Fill out your profile - hell, when I read your "city" I thought you wrote "Ghana"

Pay the damn $35 and purchase Upload and Sell subscription.

eBay 100% + feedback history is basically bullshit, unless your history there includes items of equivalent $ value. I recall a guy here who several years back had 100% feedback selling and buying items for minimal dollar values, lots of 'em of 9.95, items used for sewing IIRC. so If your Hx on eBay is for items with real $ value, put your eBay link up here. Post a link to your POTN location.

You are correct in your assertion that it's tough place here to join up. We here are "relatively" free from scammers because we don't suffer fools lightly, as the saying goes.

So, do yourself a major favor and don't shoot yourself in the foot. Be as open and as explicit about your identity as you can. Post up a link to your photography. Find a forum here that fits your photography interests. Join up and identify yourself as new and that you're looking forward to contributing

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:44 PM
sammichmaster

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

Gahanna is the town I live in, in Ohio . It is a suburb of Columbus. And I’m not trying to sell anything so why should I pay for an account? I’m just trying to buy some new-to-me gear to make the transition from canon to Fuji. I’ve linked my accounts in all pms I’ve sent.

Dec 11, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

It is the "nature of the beast" the past few years. Scammers have tried to run rampant here. Some have succeeded and there are many posts to "Search" for.
Try to find a local seller. If all you want is to B&S, that is going to limit your exposure to the members on the forum who sell but are also "pro-active" in the forum. Especially the older cadre. FM was once a "word is my bond" site. But jerks saw this and took advantage of it and so the rest of you have to suffer. We are a "self policing" forum/website.
I have sold to a few members with no feedback here but I did my homework and all sales went thru fine. You may have to "bite the bullet" and go above and beyond to satisfy the seller you are legit. But it will pay off later.
If you see an item you want make contact with the seller and ask him/her how you can buy their gear to their satisfaction. Yes distance is a problem but communication here is #1.
Nothing is 100% anymore, anywhere.
Good luck!
Dan

Dec 12, 2017 at 08:03 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

Why pay for an account? For a number of reasons:

a) It helps with the maintenance of the site. Fred can't keep it running without funds.
b) You say you were recommended this place by a user on reddit, plus you plan on becoming an active member. To me that means this place is something of value, why not pay for that value?

Dec 12, 2017 at 09:01 AM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

I've twice asked potential buyers who were new members to pay via USPS money order. In both cases they agreed, so I then told them PayPal was fine.

So maybe if you are buying from a well-established member offer up the money order option.

Dec 13, 2017 at 09:45 AM
teddoman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

mpix345 wrote:
I've twice asked potential buyers who were new members to pay via USPS money order. In both cases they agreed, so I then told them PayPal was fine.

So maybe if you are buying from a well-established member offer up the money order option.

Though there is a well known money order scam on CL (I know because a well educated family member of mine got duped by a fake money order) so that doesn't really prove anything to me.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:10 PM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

teddoman wrote:
Though there is a well known money order scam on CL (I know because a well educated family member of mine got duped by a fake money order) so that doesn't really prove anything to me.

They cashed a USPS money order, had cash in hand, shipped item, then lost money?

Dec 13, 2017 at 05:23 PM
teddoman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

mpix345 wrote:
They cashed a USPS money order, had cash in hand, shipped item, then lost money?

It was a weird scheme to put a deposit on an apartment, then rebate some of the money back to the remitter who needed some cash for an emergency, but it turns out the original money order was fake. Photographers of all people know what can be done with photoshop, a piece of paper isn't even worth $0.01, literally.

Dec 13, 2017 at 06:14 PM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Verification system for buy/sell from other forums/eBay for new fm members

teddoman wrote:
It was a weird scheme to put a deposit on an apartment, then rebate some of the money back to the remitter who needed some cash for an emergency, but it turns out the original money order was fake. Photographers of all people know what can be done with photoshop, a piece of paper isn't even worth $0.01, literally.

Wow, giving money back to someone like that is always a no-no.

I did research this a bit though. Simplest scam involves a fake MO. People deposit it, then find out days or weeks later that is was fake. Bank takes money from account.

I've only dealt with money orders for less than make $200 iirc. I just cashed those with no tie in to my bank account, so I guess that was safe.

Apparently you can call the issuer of the MO and verify it's authenticity, or cash it at the issuer. So that is good to know.

Dec 13, 2017 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.