New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

really appreciate the help that everyone has provided! I think i may continue to shoot film primarily and may end up with medium format sometime in the near future. i forgot how shooting film really makes you appreciate everything.

FINALLy i can contribute to the film thread that is going on, but wanted to take the time to thanks those that have taken time out of their lives to respond to my crazy questions, and even sold me film!!!

Just got back film from a lab that i think will handle the bulk of my business locally! This film is the "superia" 200 that walmart advertises on their website, but is IN FACT C200. I was a little irritated that it wasn't Superia, but thought for $10 for 4 rolls, might as well. At some point i will need a go to film as Reala is not easy to find. C200 so far is actually impressive!

Here is a shot at Bryce on the day after Thanksgiving, or #optoutside for me, as i work at REI Shot with a Contax RX and C/Y 35-70. Most likely f/11, but who knows.

Again, really appreciate all the help!

Dec 08, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Beauty Dustin. What system are you shooting again? I thought it was medium format...

Dec 08, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Gary Clennan wrote:
Beauty Dustin. What system are you shooting again? I thought it was medium format...

thanks! i have a Contax RX 35mm

Dec 09, 2017 at 01:48 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

The demise of the great Carl Zeiss camera/lens systems at the end of the film era was a crime against photography. The venerable maker is yet to recover from this setback.

Dec 09, 2017 at 05:44 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Sweet shot, and u have discovered the dirty secret that C200 is excellent film. I Use it all the time at my gallery, bought a bulk amount of it when Adorama for some weird reason had it priced at $1.49/36 exp and just received another bulk shipment off ebay (expires in 2019) for $2.60 roll 36exp.

I use all the usual suspects in the film world and have zero qualms with C200. Looking forward to more of your film posts.

Dec 09, 2017 at 10:12 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Is Fuji C200 as good as Reala? I still have a couple of rolls of Reala in the freezer.

Dec 11, 2017 at 08:58 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

c200 is a good film. You made it shine above

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:03 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Nice work Dustin! I'm glad you're getting up and running . I still have some Superia 200 left if you want! (8 rolls left)

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

runamuck wrote:
Is Fuji C200 as good as Reala? I still have a couple of rolls of Reala in the freezer.

Reala is in a league of its' own, in my personal opinion - just based on sharpness. However i haven't shot the same scene with the same gear and settings to do a comparison. I picked it up because it is $2.30 a roll at walmart, and with a lot of film getting discontinued, i need to find a film that is current that i like. So far I am impressed. I didn't do much post processing to this photo.

I am probably going to go on another 4 day trip next month somewhere in the desert here, and will try some more film.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

AbramG wrote:
Nice work Dustin! I'm glad you're getting up and running . I still have some Superia 200 left if you want! (8 rolls left)

I know - and may contact you soon Thanks!

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Nice shot.....don't buy films from your local supermarkets FYI. You can get them cheap too at https://www.freestylephoto.biz/

Fuji color films tend to be on the green side. They are great if you shoot a lot of sunset shots...or with ambient lighting more towards red and warm yellow. Kodak is more warmer and generally better with skin tone (portra 100). Ektar 100 is more like slide with deep rich warmer tone.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:01 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

As I recall, Reala has an extra layer of blue on it. I really liked Reala for outdoor photos.

Kent in SD

Dec 12, 2017 at 09:03 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Reala was the best C41 for landscape, the only print film to compare with the E6 lot. TMS, they always used to say that the colors on the box told you what the film did best. Green/blue for Fuji, yellow/red for Kodak.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

AbramG wrote:

Why are you selling the film? Throw it in the camera and shoot it!

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:59 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

Because I primarily work in black and white with film (and digital) I don’t shoot much color these days and I decided to pass it along.

Gary Clennan wrote:
Why are you selling the film? Throw it in the camera and shoot it!

Dec 13, 2017 at 09:44 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · thanks to ALL THAT HELPED me in all my dumb questions about film

I used to underexpose Reala by a half to 2/3 stop and it made the colors explode.

Dec 13, 2017 at 03:21 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.