New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Help me decide

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help me decide

My wife and I just finished our cheesy Christmas cards using and abusing our little mutt.
Ok, no abusing of any animals occurred. Only a photographer suffered during the making of these images.

I figured I might as well enter one of these "extras" in the monthly assignment but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to use. I like one and the wife prefers another so I'm adding a few others to mix up the odds a little so as not to end up with 50/50.

***** EDIT ******
*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just realized these images are not qualified to be entered in the assignment. I shot them a day to early.
So, If I have time I might try a re-shoot and will keep in mind any critiques I might receive on these and may attempt to get a similar shot to which ever one stands out the most per the poll.
*********************************************************************************************************************************

So... I thought it might be interesting to toss them up in here as a POLL and see which one comes out on top. That way even the lurkers can weigh in on it even if they don't have time to comment.

Please select one of the below images using the above Poll and let me know if there is anything in your chosen image that I might be able to improve.

I better not see anyone vote #5 option or I'll cry a little.

Dave

Edited on Dec 08, 2017 at 08:31 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:14 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help me decide

Pick one please!

Dave

Image #1

Image #2

Image #3

Image #4

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:15 PM
pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help me decide

I picked #4, but I think it would be better with more of the bottom showing....more lights.

And would you be open to having the lights on?

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:27 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help me decide

Thanks Pete! I agree 100% on the needed extra room along the bottom. I screwed up and shot too tight to the bottom. I do this a lot for some reason, I think it's because I peek above my glasses while looking through the viewfinder.

The lights were on in all of these. It was a little weird because they appeared on in some shots then only partially lit in others then some looked completely lit. These are LED lights and I think I've read something about the sync speeds relative to the shutter speed or actuation.
IDK but it was not welcomed what ever caused it.

Dave

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:36 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help me decide

I just edited my OP as I just realized these images are not qualified to be entered in the assignment.
I shot them a day to early.

Which now that I think about it, it's just as well because the Assignments are intended to be just that, "assignments". Which are designed to challenge us to try new things and to nurture our growth.

Although these images were in fact a learning experience for me, not my thing, they really shouldn't have been used anyhow as I did not shoot them solely for the assignment.

If I have time I might try a re-shoot and will keep in mind any critiques I might receive on these.

Dave

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:23 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help me decide

I want the dolls, the lights and I don't think the vignette is working for me. If anything I might look to put a white vignette on it which would play up the "snow" idea and go with Fiona's white fur.

When do I get my card?

Jeff

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:27 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help me decide

beavens wrote:
I want the dolls, the lights and I don't think the vignette is working for me. If anything I might look to put a white vignette on it which would play up the "snow" idea and go with Fiona's white fur.

When do I get my card?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I wasn't sure about including her little friends in the shot so it's good to know they do work for some.

I did remove the vignette but what I think you are seeing is the shadow falloff from our couch, which we covered in the red fabric. We bought a huge roll of this fabric just for these shots.

PM me your address.

Dave

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:38 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help me decide

lighthound wrote:
I just edited my OP as I just realized these images are not qualified to be entered in the assignment.
I shot them a day to early.

Which now that I think about it, it's just as well because the Assignments are intended to be just that, "assignments". Which are designed to challenge us to try new things and to nurture our growth.

Although these images were in fact a learning experience for me, not my thing, they really shouldn't have been used anyhow as I did not shoot them solely for the assignment.

If I have time I might
...Show more

Great idea for holiday cards, and this member of your family whole heartedly participated. Agreed that It's a creative challenge, different in a way from your normal subject matter, but not sure why you think it's not your thing. This series is going to make a lot of people smile and share with you your love and expertise in photography.

I love both concepts. #1 for me, with your puppy wearing the hat emulating the stuffed animals, and that quizzical expression is priceless. Agree with Pliukat's comments about more space in the foreground on 2-4 and perhaps shooting this with the bulbs lit, and arranging the string of lights in a more decorative way.

How do you pay your model, with dog biscuits?!

Steve

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:49 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help me decide

Haha! Thanks Steve! We did give her a treat after we were finished but I have to say, we were both surprised on how well she behaved during all of this. She just sat there and let us do whatever we wanted.
The hard part was getting her to tilt her head. Once we learned the secret word "Walk" it was a little more predictable so I could capture it. We just couldn't use that word too frequently or she would catch on knowing what we were up to and wouldn't respond.

This is definitely NOT my thing but I gave it my best. I was sweating like a pig by the time we finished.

The wife took her to the groomer yesterday and gave them one of the Christmas cards. My wife said they were blown away and couldn't believe that the cards were not store bought professional cards. That made me feel pretty good after all the work I've put into them.

Once more people weigh in on this thread I'll post up a pic of what the front of the card looked like. Then you will understand why we did the lights the way we did.
If I do a reshoot, I will definitely do the lights a little differently and hopefully not screw up and compose so tight to the bottom as you suggested.

Dave

Dec 08, 2017 at 09:03 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help me decide

I voted one, the lights don't work for me.

Dec 08, 2017 at 09:46 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help me decide

lighthound wrote:
I did remove the vignette but what I think you are seeing is the shadow falloff from our couch, which we covered in the red fabric. We bought a huge roll of this fabric just for these shots.

PM me your address.

Dave

I was gonna say that if it wasn't vignette then it'd probably be falloff.

PM sent!!

Jeff

Dec 08, 2017 at 10:04 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help me decide

ben egbert wrote:
I voted one, the lights don't work for me.

Thanks Ben! I understand about the lights. By themselves like this they don't work as intended. Once you see the final card layout I think it will make more sense.
A reshoot for the assignment is in order for sure. And this time I'll be using my tripod to make life easier and ensure I don't cut the bottom too close again.

Dave

Dec 08, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help me decide

These are all great and any choice would work. I could not really pick a favorite.

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:06 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help me decide

#1 for me, but I do like the expression on his face in #2

Dec 08, 2017 at 05:33 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help me decide

Thanks Jim and Dale for the feedback!

I tried to do a reshoot last night and after about 2 hours of setting up and trying a new type of layout I got frustrated and said screw it. I just don't have the right equipment for this stuff. This is definitely NOT my thing.

Anyhow, Here's the image we used for the front of the cards this year.
I think the text helps explain why we had the lights wrapped around her like you have seen.
She does like to "get into things" to say the least.

Not sure how the rest of you east coasters are doing in this snow storm, but we're getting dumped on pretty good for SC. Probably have 5"-6" out there and it's still coming down! Stay warm!

Dave

The final card layout

Dec 09, 2017 at 08:23 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help me decide

lighthound wrote:
Thanks Jim and Dale for the feedback!

I tried to do a reshoot last night and after about 2 hours of setting up and trying a new type of layout I got frustrated and said screw it. I just don't have the right equipment for this stuff. This is definitely NOT my thing.

Anyhow, Here's the image we used for the front of the cards this year.
I think the text helps explain why we had the lights wrapped around her like you have seen.
She does like to "get into things" to say the least.

Not sure how the
...Show more

Wow! How did you achieve that 3D effect?
Steve

Dec 09, 2017 at 09:33 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help me decide

Now the lights make sense, loving it. Great job Dave.

Dec 09, 2017 at 10:04 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help me decide

ben egbert wrote:

I agree with Ben. Everything fits now.

Excellent, sir!

Dec 09, 2017 at 10:29 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help me decide

eeneryma wrote:
Wow! How did you achieve that 3D effect?
Steve

Thanks Steve. Not sure what #D effect you are seeing but if it's the snow flakes then that was done using custom brushes and changing the settings on how the brush behaves as you click and//or drag. I had to learn all about that as well during this project.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:

Thanks Ben! Good to know it did come together and works as intended.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

pliukait wrote:
I agree with Ben. Everything fits now.

Excellent, sir!

Thanks for the kind words Pete!

Dave

Dec 09, 2017 at 11:42 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help me decide

Yup. That's about what I had in my mind's eye when I voted for #2.

Very appealing.

Dec 09, 2017 at 05:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.