New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · scan issue? lines in exposures

finally got vuescan and my first rolls of film back. One roll is B&W and one was a roll of Velvia that was loaded in my camera for years.

i get the film back and scanning, and i notice that there are some lines in some of the images when scanned. on some of the negatives, i can see the line. I am wondering if it came from my camera when i rewinded the film, or when the lab developed the film.

I scanned some of my older C41 negatives, and no lines; which leads me to believe it isn't the scanner. Also, the majority of the E6 slides didn't have this issue- but did see lines on the negatives themselves.

Think it is the lab? Blue moon in Portland hand develops B&W (which is where i have gotten 99% of my film developed) whereas this lab i used in SLC uses a machine. Or could it be my camera? I have another roll of film that i ran through the Contax, but yet to develop it. I could take it back to the same lab to see if i have lines in it..

here is a scan to give an idea. don't mind the horrible image

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Looks like a camera scratch, but it could be a processing scratch too. If every roll has the same scratch in the same place, then it's likely the camera.

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:04 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Hard to say but my bet is this is due to the scanning tech. When I started back into film, I used a local lab with a good reputation and they still scratched most of my negs and left fingerprints all over them. I would also check your camera though to be sure. Open it up and look at the pressure plate condition and all contact surfaces. Let us know how it works out... PS - how are you liking shooting film? I bought a huge RB67 to try out...

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Looks like lab processing scratches to me. I can easily see two separate scratches, the second is mid-frame on the right side.

(Happy 10,000th post for me! )

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:50 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Very familiar with this issue. It is caused by one of three reasons in the development stage:
(a) If it only happens sporadically on few negatives: caused by squeegee used when self developed
(b) If the line is throughout the film horizontally: scratches in the film from the beginning to the end of the strip - recently often happened with Ferrania P30 batches where this remained an issue. Scratches always in the same position on the same film strip - changes when another film is used (no scratches), then camera can be excluded.
(c) Hard to tell if an outside lab development caused it - possible, too. But then it is most of the time only present in few negatives not on all of them (never saw this happen in the past on the whole strip with outside labs).

Dec 07, 2017 at 06:04 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · scan issue? lines in exposures

good info! I am hoping it isn't the camera. I have another roll to get developed taken with the same Contax camera. Will drop off the film at another lab and see.

thanks again!!

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:52 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · scan issue? lines in exposures

For color film, scratches can be removed easily with the scanner built in infrared channel, but unfortunately it doesn’t work on b/w.

By the way, such scratches are usually 99.99% of the time caused by the processing. Change your lab

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:19 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · scan issue? lines in exposures

yeah i have heard mixed reviews about this lab. sucks if it was their mistake and messed up the whole roll

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · scan issue? lines in exposures

on the B&W roll, it is the same spot, and on the slides the ones affected are the same spot as well...
also, here is a slide from the same roll. there are marks on it, and i think it was from the scanner it would be obvious.. looks like "roller" marks. This was taken with a different camera

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Dustin Gent wrote:
on the B&W roll, it is the same spot, and on the slides the ones affected are the same spot as well...
also, here is a slide from the same roll. there are marks on it, and i think it was from the scanner it would be obvious.. looks like "roller" marks. This was taken with a different camera

This one is absolutely full of micro scratches.

This was always a major issue with film, and still is. "Back in the day", this is why premium photo labs stayed in business -- when we had an assignment, we couldn't turn in film like this -- the whole thing would have to be reshot, often at the photographer's expense. So we happily paid a premium to labs like A&I in Hollywood to ensure our 35mm, 120, and 4x5 film was handled well and turned around in 3 hours for transparency (or less with rush charges!).

In my more recent forays into film, including Contax N cameras and lenses (I'd always wanted to shoot Contax), I found film terribly scratched from every local economy development such as Walgreens and Costco. I knew what I getting what I paid for, but even my local custom lab was not immune with scratches showing up in the film them developed and scanned for me -- but it was much better than the economy develop/scan places.

I think mail-in lab, North Coast, was just about as good as the local custom, and cheaper, but turnaround was around a week, and still not cheap -- I was disinclined to send 10 rolls I'd shot for my own amusement. It would have been a different story if I'd been being paid, but then the slow turn around would have killed the job.

It gets back to the old saying: if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself. Or pay for a really good custom lab.

If you can get all the stars aligned, film can certainly be a fun and rewarding experience.

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:57 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Dustin Gent wrote:

Alright Dustin enough with the jibber jabber, spill the beans, start singin'. Say, who was this lab so we can make sure to skip it, see?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-gusfield/gangster-language_b_1397951.html

Dec 08, 2017 at 11:22 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · scan issue? lines in exposures

so since i am getting back into film, i am trying out labs locally just to see. The lab i used in Portland is AMAZING, and i may go back to using them. Thing is shipping costs. They charge $8 USPS priority back to me, and i have to get the film there - so $15 shipping round trip. Sometimes i don't shoot that much, so sending in 2-3 rolls can get expensive. However if i can't find a local lab, i will have to do this.

The lab i used first was Nichols lab. Heard mixed things before i used them. I have a coworker that used to work for them, and he still uses them because they give him a discount. He said that they told him they would give him free scans in return for good yelp reviews...

Today i dropped off a roll to Replicolor. Should get them back today. I told them of my problems with Nichols TheFINDlab in Orem is supposed to be phenomenal, and may try them out if i am not happy with replicolor.

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:04 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Can you see the scratches on the film emulsion? If not, it might be dust in the scanner too. A scanner scans one line at a time, and if there's dust stuck on the scanner's lens, it can show up as a line in the direction of the scan.

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:49 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · scan issue? lines in exposures

it had crossed my mind that it could be the scanner, although it was brand new when i bought it, still in original packaging.

Just got my film back from replicolor, and no lines!! used the same camera on this roll and the B&W. so needless to say i won't be going back to that other lab AND cannot recommend them. sucks they hosed my roll of Ilford 50...

Dec 08, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · scan issue? lines in exposures

I've used TheFindLab before and they were excellent. As are NorthCoastPhoto.
The only issue I had with TheFindLab is they take forever..

I do not recommend TheDarkRoom. They've messed up my stuff countless times, and have never offered to make good on it.

Dec 09, 2017 at 12:00 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · scan issue? lines in exposures

Dustin Gent wrote:
it had crossed my mind that it could be the scanner, although it was brand new when i bought it, still in original packaging.

Just got my film back from replicolor, and no lines!! used the same camera on this roll and the B&W. so needless to say i won't be going back to that other lab AND cannot recommend them. sucks they hosed my roll of Ilford 50...

It can’t be the scanner, unless it uses a roller feed in system like the Nikon coolscan, and even then, the possibility is very tiny.

Dec 09, 2017 at 12:11 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.