New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Mystery Image

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mystery Image

I have not been around for months. This forum seems to be slow so I thought I would try to stimulate interest with additional posts.

I am not sure if this has any interest or appeal to those who have not visited this location. If you have visited, it is almost certain you can identify the location and specific area.

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:06 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mystery Image

As someone who likes abstract stuff I dig this one.

Various textures, tone and lines in play.

I'd crop or clone the larger dark rock in the URC.

Jeff

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:13 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mystery Image

I too really enjoy abstracts and enjoy this image. It feels like salt deposits, or some other mineral deposits...a spring perhaps?

Diane

Dec 07, 2017 at 12:30 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mystery Image

I love this type of geology and would like to know where this is for future bucket list purposes.
I have visited caves before but have only seen one with a cool waterfall in it like this one shows. That was Ruby Falls over in Chattanooga TN.

Very nice capture!

As for nit's, all I got is +1 @ Jeff's suggestion on the upper right corner. That does pull attention somewhat.

Dave

Dec 07, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mystery Image

Thanks for the comments. I had debated with myself whether to include the structure in the upper right. I decided probably incorrectly that it helped by providing a sort of frame to the image. I don't need to crop this. I spent at least an hour in the location and shot every sort of conceivable composition.

I will give it a while longer. I am surprised no one has identified the area.

Dec 07, 2017 at 01:00 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mystery Image

Thermopolis?

I passed through there on my Harley many years ago but failed to stop and take in any of the sights.

I'm not sure I would crop as your comp is very nice as is and you would loose the diagonal you have captured. Maybe just dodge that area a little?

Dave

Dec 07, 2017 at 01:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mystery Image

Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone NP. Nicely done too.

Dec 07, 2017 at 01:50 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mystery Image

ben egbert wrote:
Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone NP. Nicely done too.

Oh man! You're right Ben! I completely missed it but I see it now.

The only time I had the chance to see this, there was a huge thunderstorm passing through and just as we walked up to this spot a huge lightning bolt hit off to the right. Needless to say our viewing time ended right then.

Dave

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mystery Image

Ben is correct. This is taken from the viewing area for Canary Springs, Mammoth, Yellowstone. Here are two more taken from the same place.

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mystery Image

Really liking that last image, I never figured out a comp at the springs, or Yellowstone in general.

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:55 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mystery Image

ben egbert wrote:
Really liking that last image, I never figured out a comp at the springs, or Yellowstone in general.

Yep, hard not to love that one. Really really well done.

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mystery Image

ben egbert wrote:

I think that is because you excel at those big, majestic landscape photos. Much of the interest in Yellowstone is at the scale of an individual geyser or smaller.

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mystery Image

Camperjim wrote:
I think that is because you excel at those big, majestic landscape photos. Much of the interest in Yellowstone is at the scale of an individual geyser or smaller.

That's my thinking too.

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mystery Image

Great eye, Ben, Great captures, Jim.

Dec 07, 2017 at 07:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mystery Image

All wonderful images Jim. To my eye though, I like the first, the mystery image, the best. This image works like an abstract painting, allowing my mind to wander and imagine more.

Steve

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:26 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mystery Image

I like the new images also! Especially #3

#2 almost looks like an abstract macro shot of a toasted marshmallow. I enjoy shots like this where the viewer can imagine different things.

Nicely done Jim!

Dave

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:49 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mystery Image

lighthound wrote:
I love this type of geology and would like to know where this is for future bucket list purposes.
I have visited caves before but have only seen one with a cool waterfall in it like this one shows. That was Ruby Falls over in Chattanooga TN.

Very nice capture!

As for nit's, all I got is +1 @ Jeff's suggestion on the upper right corner. That does pull attention somewhat.

Dave

lighthound wrote:

Very nice capture!

Dave

Why do you guys in this forum always tag me? Tags obviously work with *correct* usernames, and tagging someone's actual name rather than their *user*name will obviously tag someone unintended.

Dec 09, 2017 at 10:17 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mystery Image

Jeff wrote:
Why do you guys in this forum always tag me? Tags obviously work with *correct* usernames, and tagging someone's actual name rather than their *user*name will obviously tag someone unintended.

Oops!
Sorry about that Jeff. I keep forgetting about this "tagging" crap Fred has setup here. Still don't get why it even exist to be honest. I basically just get lazy and rather than typing out "at Beavens" it's much easier to just type "@ Jeff".

If you'd change your user name we wouldn't have this repeated little issue.

I'll try not to be lazy.

Dave

Dec 09, 2017 at 11:37 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mystery Image

Camperjim wrote:
I have not been around for months. This forum seems to be slow so I thought I would try to stimulate interest with additional posts.

I am not sure if this has any interest or appeal to those who have not visited this location. If you have visited, it is almost certain you can identify the location and specific area.

I guess since this is the Critique Forum, I should also 'play', and I have been there, can identify, and do have interest.

That being said, one of my OCD pet-peeves: the image isn't level. This coming from someone that apparently holds my camera with a 3-degree tilt in every freaking image I shoot.

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mystery Image

Jeff, thanks for the comment. Which image does not appear level? All of them or just the original image? You could certainly be correct about the level but I have been pretty consistent in using the level tool in my viewfinder. I also have a 95% viewfinder and even if my composition is fixed at capture, I have some play for final level adjustment.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.