New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

Norm Shapiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

I've downloaded a try out version of DxO Photolab Elite and need some help. Their online tutorials do not load up, You Tube and Lynda.com also have nothing as far as tutorials that I can find.

I'm using a MacBook Pro and I've loaded up a folder of raw files from an external hard drive. When I try to export a toned image to the hard drive I get: "the given path exists but is not writable. Processing cannot continue". I can email jpeg to myself.

Also is it possible to move off screen or make smaller the large thumbnails of all the files on the bottom of the screen?

And is it possible to enlarge the window ( not enlarge the image inside it) that the selected photo appears in in the center of the screen?

Thanks
Norm Shapiro

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:32 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

Export to disk DxO on line help page.

Exporting images consists of creating image files to which are applied the corrections you made in the Customize tab, and then transferring the corrected images to the hard drive and the folder of your choice, or to an external application, or to a Flickr gallery. All export choices require you to choose an output option. To do so, open the export options floating window by clicking on the Export to Disk button.

https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net/userfiles/1354/13371/ckfinder/images/import-fb7s7k32v9gx/images/import-2mh4a8vxugmd/images/fig-42-en.jpg

The Export to Disk – Options floating window that lets you define the output formats,
destination folder, file name suffix, image size, and ICC profile

The purpose of the output options interface is to provide you with the settings you need that will automatically and simultaneously export images in different formats and to different destinations (ELITE Edition).
File formats and their constraints

Some image formats lose part of the file information to achieve a more compact size; these are referred to as lossy. Formats that keep all available information even while achieving a certain degree of compression are referred to as lossless.

JPEG is a lossy format, while TIFF and most RAW formats are considered lossless. DNG (Digital NeGative) is a very specific format designed by the Adobe software company to be a de facto standard for RAW files, which it has become to some extent.

The following table shows the possible relationships between input and output formats:

Image input format Possible export formats
JPEG JPEG, TIFF (8-bit)
TIFF TIFF (8- or 16-bit, depending on the input image)
RAW JPEG, TIFF (8- or 16-bit), DNG

Output formats

JPEG : The JPEG format is for files that are going to be printed in photo labs, displayed online, or sent by email. DxO PhotoLab requires you to set the quality level when processing JPEG files. A slider lets you to set the degree of compression, and thus quality loss, from 0 to 100. Of course, the higher the quality, the larger the output file. Since JPEG is a lossy format, we advise choosing a higher quality setting (e.g., 90) and compensating if necessary by using a smaller image size. This is a better compromise than a larger image with a lower-quality setting.
TIFF : The TIFF format is a lossless format designed for high-quality files that you intend to archive or which you will post-process further (all image editing applications can import TIFF images). When you choose TIFF format for an output image, you must also choose two specific settings:
The compressed / uncompressed option: We advise sticking with the uncompressed option, which results in a larger file, but is more widely accepted by post-processing programs than compressed TIFFs.
8- or 16-bit encoding: 8-bit encoding provides only 255 possible levels per color channel, while 16-bit encoding provides 65,536 shades of color. This choice is only available if the source image itself was originally coded in a 16-bit format (i.e., RAW or 16-bit TIFF format). We advise choosing the 16-bit format whenever possible, since it greatly improves color rendition. Furthermore, this format represents an excellent choice for preserving and archiving your images.
DNG: The DNG format is designed for files that you intend to archive or that are going to undergo further post-processing with DNG-compatible software such as Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop/Lightroom. The DNG generated by DxO PhotoLab is a 16-bit linear DNG format, which is only available for original images shot in RAW. With linear DNG, the three color channels have been individually calculated, which means that the file is three times larger than the original RAW file. This format offers the same advantages of reversibility as with a camera-generated RAW file.
Quality: Lets you set the JPEG compression quality.
Destination: By default, the destination folder is simply the same folder as the original or source image. This choice is indicated in the output options found in the Destination (Windows) or File (Mac) drop-down menu. If you select the Custom file option, a dialog window opens that will let you pick or create a folder on your hard drive. Note that the pathway can be either absolute (as in, for example, “C:PhotosSorties DxO PhotoLab”) or relative (DxO PhotoLab outputs). In the first case, all the images will be saved in one single destination folder, even if the source images are scattered among several different folders. In the second case, the images will be saved in a sub-folder within the source folder, which will allow you to keep the corrected images close to the originals. In this situation, there will be as many sub-folders created as there are source folders.
All of the following options described below can be accessed by selecting Advanced settings in the export options floating window.
Suffix: By default, DxO PhotoLab appends “_DxO” to any file name. You can replace this with any sequence of characters.
Resolution: Lets you set the output resolution.
Resizing: Changing the size of an image involves the process known as “resampling,” which requires recalculating the number of pixels that make up the image. In all cases, resampling must be performed at the latest possible stage, since it destroys a certain amount of information in your image. So if you will need to do subsequent post-processing, we advise you to keep the initial image size. If you activate the Resize image option, you will have to choose among the following parameters:
The maximum dimension of the output image (whether by height or width) in pixels, centimeters, or inches. One single dimension is enough for the program to maintain the aspect ratio (the proportions) of the image.
The interpolation method: Several options are available: Auto is a good choice, but many photographers are loyal supporters of bicubic interpolation for optimum precision, and DxO PhotoLab offers a bicubic interpolation sharpen option.
ICC Profile (ELITE Edition): The ICC profile for the output file (with the exception of DNG format) can be the same profile as the source image, the sRGB, Adobe RGB, or a custom profile. The sRGB profile is particularly suitable for Web publication and inkjet printing, while Adobe RGB is best adapted to retouching and publishing. In these cases, TIFF is the ideal output format. A custom profile will allow you to choose a specific profile.
Exporting to disk

Export to Disk is how you process and save your corrected images to your computer’s hard drive or peripheral drive. Before starting the export, you must check the boxes in the Export to Disk – Options window to enable the desired output options (even if you just create a new output option, it will be disabled by default). You must enable at least one option, but you can also activate as many as you want. This is one of the key features of DxO PhotoLab ELITE Edition, which allows you to simultaneously export multiple different files from the same source image.

The export options let you create backup copies: all you have to do is do give the same name to an image but select a different place to store it on your disk or save it on a different server.
To start processing and exporting the images you have selected in the Image Browser, all you need to do is to click on the Export to Disk button in the export options window. If an exported image has the same name as another image already in the destination folder, a dialog box will prompt you to either overwrite the image already in the folder, or to rename the image being exported so as not to overwrite the other file.

You can have DxO PhotoLab add a special suffix to the names of your processed files (see Export Options).
While the export is underway, a gear icon is displayed in the upper right corner of the thumbnails in the Image Browser, while a tiny overall progress bar is displayed in the Export button itself. You can access a larger version of the progression bar by clicking on the Export button, which opens the Progress palette.

The processing time will vary according to the size and number of images you export.
When processing is complete:
An icon confirming the success of the operation will appear in the lower right corner of the thumbnail.
If an error occurs, an exclamation point will be displayed.
You can change the number of images that can be processed simultaneously by going to Edit > Preferences > Performance > Display and processing (Microsoft Windows) or DxO PhotoLab > Preferences > Advanced (Mac OS X).

DxO PhotoLab uses all of your computer’s core processors to process one or several images. However, if you increase the number of images you want to process, make sure that you have enough RAM available so that you can take full advantage of your processors, rather than risking being slowed down because of the rate of data exchange between the RAM and the hard drive.
Creating an export option

To create a new export option, click on the Add new option button in the export options floating window. From there, choose the settings that you need. This said, certain settings are dependent on the type of output file (discussed in detail in the following section). Other settings are common to all file types, such as choice of destination folder, the suffix for the file name, and resizing parameters.

Also is it possible to move off screen or make smaller the large thumbnails of all the files on the bottom of the screen?

right click in the top border of the film strip. a dialog will pop up 'undock image browser'. left click on the pop up. a browser page will open showing all of the thumbnails.

And is it possible to enlarge the window ( not enlarge the image inside it) that the selected photo appears in in the center of the screen?

F9 will hide the open palettes. you can also do this from 'View' Hide Palettes.

Dec 08, 2017 at 09:54 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

Thanks R.H.

I've watched their basic intro video a couple of times and have a basic understanding of the program.

The problem that I still have is that I can only export a jpeg via email. A friend of mine downloaded the free version and it worked fine on exporting for him on his Mac.

There was no ininstal option for the program so I dumped it the trash, emptied the trash, downloaded again the free program. Same problem.

Plus now the program keeps looking at Light Room only. It will not show me my other sources when I push the organize tab.

I've sent two messages via their online support page-no response in the last 4 days. I left a message on their Facebook page-no response.

I'm ready to buy the program IF I can first download a dng file that I have
worked on in Photolab to see the results on my normal workflow.

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:41 PM
bluloo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

Check the permissions of the folder you're exporting to.

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

Thanks bluloo,
I'm not sure that's the problem since it would export to either my external hard drive, where the file had been uploaded from originally, nor back to LR when I went for LR via the plugin.

I tried trashing the program but when I downloaded it again same problem. So now I'm waiting for a call back from Apple support to continue trying to delete it and all applications it might have been linked to. We were working on it until the 12 inches of snow on North Carolina, where they are located, killed their power.
Thanks for the suggestion

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:41 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

Problem solved. Operator error on my part. I did not format the external drive I was using for Mac. I have been using several hard drives for both storeage and backup with Photoshop and light room and pages and never formatted before and never a problem ( and they were factory formatted for windows). But apparently DxO Photolab is more picky.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Dec 11, 2017 at 06:40 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Help with DxO Photolab Elite

Dec 12, 2017 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.