1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

Steve Spencer wrote:
But then it would compete pretty directly with the Loxia 28 f/2.4 or 2.8 that I expect for $1,399 sometime next year . So far Cosina has never competed that directly with Zeiss for whom they make lenses either for Leica M mount or for Sony E mount.

I see. I am losing hope we will see a Loxia 28.

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:22 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

Fred Miranda wrote:
I see. I am losing hope we will see a Loxia 28.

I'm not. I think it's coming - not in the next few months, apparently, but Zeiss surely knows that there is a lot of demand for it. It's just a matter of time....but none of us want to wait

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:56 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

Two new Loxia designs in four years does not indicate a high priority. Carl Zeiss (their real name, 'ZEISS' is pure branding) now employ 25,000 people and they operate in a creative industry where individuals really count for inspiration and guidance and market acumen.

Sigma is a family company with 1100 employees, CV is presumably a medium size business as well - the Voigtlander name has been in use in modern times only since 1999. Both convey the impression of being very committed and enthusiastic, forward looking. Looking at ZEISS's interests, lens production for Sony cameras is a very small deal even among the lens ranges within the full frame format. They are a mega corporation run by corporatists and accountants. If they surprise us, great. But that is exactly what it will be - a surprise.

The third lens of the trilogy of CV lenses announced early 2017 is now due early 2018 - a 35/1.4. They deserve the community's full support, which they are thankfully getting. I'm sure we'll see more from them in 2018 and beyond. Who dares, wins.

Dec 10, 2017 at 06:16 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

I hope we will get an excellent (newly designed as well) 35/2 than another 35/1.4.

Dec 10, 2017 at 07:30 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

philip_pj wrote:
Two new Loxia designs in four years does not indicate a high priority. Carl Zeiss (their real name, 'ZEISS' is pure branding) now employ 25,000 people and they operate in a creative industry where individuals really count for inspiration and guidance and market acumen.

Sigma is a family company with 1100 employees, CV is presumably a medium size business as well - the Voigtlander name has been in use in modern times only since 1999. Both convey the impression of being very committed and enthusiastic, forward looking. Looking at ZEISS's interests, lens production for Sony cameras is a very small
...Show more

Whoever is championing the Loxia line internally within Zeiss deserves our support too especially since it's a niche operation. I don't think there's four other prime lenses from the same manufacturer that you can buy for the Sony E-mount system that delivers the same consistency in quality, consistency and size as the Loxia line. A Loxia 28 doesn't particularly excite me since it's close to the 35 but will be excited to see what they release next.

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:21 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

Steve Spencer wrote:
So far Cosina has never competed that directly with Zeiss for whom they make lenses either for Leica M mount or for Sony E mount.

Well they had a 2/28 while Zeiss had the ZM 2.8/28 or a 1.5/50 while Zeiss had the 1.5/50 and 2/50.

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:01 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

tzhang4284 wrote:
Whoever is championing the Loxia line internally within Zeiss deserves our support too especially since it's a niche operation. I don't think there's four other prime lenses from the same manufacturer that you can buy for the Sony E-mount system that delivers the same consistency in quality, consistency and size as the Loxia line. A Loxia 28 doesn't particularly excite me since it's close to the 35 but will be excited to see what they release next.

Both the Lox 35 and 50 are mid 2000s designs and that shows, they only shine stopped down. So actually I don't see that much consistency since both the 21 and 85 are much better corrected at wider apertures.

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:04 AM
trstahly
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

I agree I sold my 35 & 50 Loxia for that reason. They have been surpassed greatly the 50 1.4 ZA blows the Loxia away. The 16-35 GM if also better than the 35 Loxia.

I would also like to see a 135mm if they could keep the diameter the same as their 85mm just a little longer. Would be a very good street camera would be very stealth expecially on a a6500 where it would be 202mm or a A7rIII at 135 or 202 in APS-C crop mode.

Dec 12, 2017 at 07:46 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

trstahly wrote:
I agree I sold my 35 & 50 Loxia for that reason. They have been surpassed greatly the 50 1.4 ZA blows the Loxia away. The 16-35 GM if also better than the 35 Loxia.

I would also like to see a 135mm if they could keep the diameter the same as their 85mm just a little longer. Would be a very good street camera would be very stealth expecially on a a6500 where it would be 202mm or a A7rIII at 135 or 202 in APS-C crop mode.

In my experience the 1.4/50 ZA indeed blows the loxia away until f2.8; but from f5.6 I prefer the loxia. So as a landscape lens I’d take the Loxia.

Dec 17, 2017 at 04:34 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

50/1.4 ZA / Loxia 50/2: these are two so very different lenses with such different use cases and user profiles, market niches. It's hard to imagine they form a straight choice for many people, so extreme are these differences. For f8 style landscapes the 55/1.8 is a far better choice, and even a better performer (see Sony's own MTF).

I feel poorly about criticizing the middle Loxias because the format needs less commercial lenses than the fast ZA set. But we know Zeiss have it in them to combine IQ and artistry at the highest levels - but for some reason have refused to join the fray. We speculate why, but no one really knows.

In their absence, lens choice will further degenerate into zooms for wide angle work, and the old two tier C/N/S approach - fast and expensive / slow and value. Leica M users have 15-21-25-28 and 3x35s (all ZM) plus their own slow and super 21/24 and WATE. An extravaganza of choice! Some are great landscape lenses.

Zeiss are acutely aware of these issues and that many prefer more artistic lenses. Their latest lenspire notes:

"..designing a lens is a multifaceted process where science meets art. Only the best lenses withstand the test of time and become highly sought after classics for many photographers over the decades. They succeed, not only because they are excellent lenses from technical point of view, but also because photographers are able to rediscover their characteristics over and over again."

Dec 17, 2017 at 03:57 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

philip_pj wrote:
50/1.4 ZA / Loxia 50/2: these are two so very different lenses with such different use cases and user profiles, market niches. It's hard to imagine they form a straight choice for many people, so extreme are these differences. For f8 style landscapes the 55/1.8 is a far better choice, and even a better performer (see Sony's own MTF).

I feel poorly about criticizing the middle Loxias because the format needs less commercial lenses than the fast ZA set. But we know Zeiss have it in them to combine IQ and artistry at the highest levels - but for some reason
...Show more

I would disagree with your comment that the 55/1.8 is a better landscape lens than the Loxia 50. You may have intended the comparison with the 50/1.4, but at F5.6 and smaller, I and many others found the Loxia 50 to be a more pleasing landscape lens than the Sony/Zeiss 55/1.8. At larger apertures, I would agree but not stopped down.

Dec 17, 2017 at 09:57 PM
lightskyland
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

I'm really not sure why the Lox 50 gets so much flack.

It's not perfect wide open but it's quite good, and at f/4 leaves almost nothing on the table.

Now I can understand the criticisms of the 35, which really does need to be stopped down pretty substantially to deliver sharp images across the frame. But the 50 is pretty good even wide open.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

Luvwine wrote:
I would disagree with your comment that the 55/1.8 is a better landscape lens than the Loxia 50. You may have intended the comparison with the 50/1.4, but at F5.6 and smaller, I and many others found the Loxia 50 to be a more pleasing landscape lens than the Sony/Zeiss 55/1.8. At larger apertures, I would agree but not stopped down.

I have a similar experience. Although the 55/1.8 is a great choice for landscapes, the Loxia 50/2 fits me better. Contrast and colors rendering is superior when they are compared side-by-side and after f/5.6 the Loxia starts to take the lead towards the edges even though the 55/1.8 is still great. I also prefer the mechanical manual focus, flare resistance and 10-point well defined sunstar from the Loxia. So, the 55/1.8 will do very well for landscapes but imo, the Loxia is a step above.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

DavidBM wrote:
In my experience the 1.4/50 ZA indeed blows the loxia away until f2.8; but from f5.6 I prefer the loxia. So as a landscape lens I’d take the Loxia.

The 50/1.4 ZA has a distinctive mid-zone dip whereas the Loxia is great from center to edges starting at f/5.6. Certainly lenses for different applications.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Rumour: Voigtländer 125/2 Macro 1:1 FE

Chalk one more vote for the Loxia 50. Yes, its bokeh can be a bit on the rough side, yes, wide open performance leaves something to be desired. But so much is right.... colours, contast, detail, sharpness, rendering....
To a large extent, the FE thread on FM is one of the very best ways to form an opinion on a Sony native lens. Just looking at pics taken with the Loxia 50 speaks volumes. Not only how good the pics are, but also how good the 'togs are who choose to use that lens. Hard to argue against great pics!

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.