Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

rrobinson54
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Is anyone using newer Pentax cameras? I am considering getting a K1 or KP, due mostly to their image stabilization and the Limited lenses. Reviews are good, but I am hoping to hear from anyone that actually use the cameras.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:28 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Right here. I've gone from Nikon to Pentax to Sony. I looked over my photos for the past 10 years and came to the conclusion that I really liked the photos I took with my Pentax limited lenses and I really didn't like manually focusing them on my Sony cameras, so I picked up a Pentax KP. The camera is a nice size and weight and the image quality is very good, so a lot of the time when I go out I just take the KP with my 31/1.8 and 77/1.8.

Since I really just got the camera for using it with three lenses that I already owned and don't intend to buy more Pentax lenses, I went with the KP instead of the K1. I also decided to go that route because it's a smaller camera. I'm continuing with the Sony system, but will keep the KP for times when I want to use my limited lenses.

The only issue I have with the KP is that I really prefer an EVF to an OVF. Also, I wouldn't use the KP for video.

Here's a shot I took with the KP and my 77.

http://jkott.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2663403689-5.jpg

Dec 07, 2017 at 12:06 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

I bought a K-1 in late 2016, for use on an overseas trip that would require a versatile camera able to use telephoto lenses. Until that trip I had been very happy using mostly Leica M9, or at the other extreme, P645D MFD and P67 MF film cameras.

I had sold a Canon 5D Mk III after finding I used it only for two major sports events annually (as an amateur).

Anyway, I was super-impressed by the spec of the K-1 and in particular its combination of in-body stabilisation, GPS and pixel-shift technology. I use the first 2 almost every time and the third one fairly often and I like the performance from each of them.

Knowing the reputation of the FA Limited lenses, I was lucky to pick up good condition version sof the FA31 and FA77.

Where the Pentax falls down, and what also made me leave Pentax when I switched to DSLRs in 2004, was a severe lack of 3rd Party lens availability from Tamron, Sigma etc. That dearth appears even worse than ever now, since it seems that Pentax and Tamron did a deal and badge-engineered many Tamron lenses as Pentax ones.

Two 3rd Party lenses that I have and that are great for me, are the Tamron SP 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di and an early version of the Sigma DG 70-200 f/2.8 EX APO.

Luckily I'm a keen alt-lens guy and so I enjoy using Leica R and Contax-Yashica lenses with Leitax conversions. The excellent focus-confirm visual and shutter-trigger-after-focus aspects of Pentax cameras make using such legacy lenses a breeze.

Compared with the first gen Sony A7R camera that I owned, I find the K-1 RAW files to be much more malleable, particularly in the shadows. Despite shooting to the left of the histogram (say -0.3 or -0.7EV) the weakness of the K-1 remains a tendency to blow highlights.

If interested check out my Flickr albums where the lens details are always included.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:45 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

I use the K-1 in combination with the Pentax 645Z and I am happy.
lenticular sommed it up all quiet well about the K-1.
Pentax is exeptional slow in putting out new FF lenses especially now that there are no other brands making AF lenses for Pentax anymore only MF by Samyang, Laowa, Samyang and IRIX.

Dec 10, 2017 at 06:28 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

FWIW, I think the 31 limited is seriously underrated. The 77 is good but not the same. I've been tempted to pick up a k-1 here and there, but settled for MF on the a7x series. The 31 can be focused rapidly quite well WO, but the 77 I find nearly impossible to MF.

There's a user, I think "pinholecamera," that is well versed in Pentax, and has some really gorgeous portraits with the 77 and 85 limiteds I've seen over the years on FM, and some terrific work with the k-1.

pentax 31

pentax 77

pentax 31

Edited on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2017 at 07:36 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

nehemiahphoto wrote:
FWIW, I think the 31 limited is seriously underrated. The 77 is good but not the same.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I disagree with this and I have both lenses.

I find it easier to replace the 31 than the 77. I don't know any other 75-90 mm lens that is F2 or faster, has AF, a beautiful rendering and is close to being as compact as the 77 limited.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:31 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Jeff Kott wrote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I disagree with this and I have both lenses.

I find it easier to replace the 31 than the 77. I don't know any other 75-90 mm lens that is F2 or faster, has AF, a beautiful rendering and is close to being as compact as the 77 limited.

We don't have to agree In terms of size and f2, I am with you. That's why I have the 77 actually. I've been on a two year quest looking for a small compact 85 that's f2 and below with wonderful rendering. The AF for the pentax hurts it for me as the MF is awful and I shoot adapted. There's lots of older lenses like the Takumars and Pentax M's or the Leica 75 APO and such, but they usually suffer in one department. There'a are only a couple lenses that fit that criteria. I actually liked the Zeiss Jenna 80 F1.8 as well.

I'd put up the 31 limited against any wide fast lens without qualifications and think it compares quite well. It's my favorite fast wide behind the CY 35 and Rx1.

Compared to other terrific 85mm-ish lenses I think the Pentax is awesome for it's size, and a pretty nice lenses in general. I can think of at least 8 lenses in the 75-100mm f2 range that I prefer the rendering of. Either way, it's obviously a competent lens, just my thoughts.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:51 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Since I have converted the zf Zeiss distagon 25/2.8 to Pentax I hardly use the 31 lmt anymore, only when people are involved because its a bit faster and it has AF. I prefer the focal range and rendering of the Zeiss for my kind of subjects (mostly urban). In the 40 range I use the VC 40/2. Incredible sharp lens. No need for the 43 lmt. Also because I have the FA 50/1.7 which is a wonderful lens as wel although plastic but it renders wonderful sharp images.

The 77 lmt is a nice lens as well but I don't use it that much - not my focal range - mostly for portraits an grand children.
The FA 20/2.8 is another lens I use regular. And then the IRIX 15/2.8 but it takes time to focus well and is far to big so only on special occasions.
I am also glad with the older Tamron 70-200/2.8 if Macro. A very good alternatif for the rather expensif new branded Tamron.

BTW Did you see this! The guy is a bit nervous but......
https://youtu.be/ngjFgTQW1Ik

Dec 11, 2017 at 06:14 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Well, given Leitax origin, I think there is no problem with decent lens on Pentax.

K1 output looks fine, it can do some special stuff not many other cameras can. If its as good as rest of Pentax production, its made by photographers for photographers, which means ergonomics will be top notch (something that cant be said about Sony ).

My only problem with that camera and reason why I dont have it is colors it produce. 645Z has very nice colors, but K1? Not really..

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:53 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Colors were one of the reasons I sold my A7r. I think the file handling by Pentax is a lot better as with the A7r.
May be skin tones in a studio environment? That's what I red somewere, but I have no complaints about the colors.

Budapest last januari. Probably with the Zeiss 25/2.8

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:31 AM
rrobinson54
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Anyone using the entry level KP? The KP is much smaller and less expensive. Is it a decent camera for non-professonal use?

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

rrobinson54 wrote:
Anyone using the entry level KP? The KP is much smaller and less expensive. Is it a decent camera for non-professonal use?

Did you read my post above?

Yes, I'm using the KP. The IQ is as good as any other APS-C sensor camera if not better. It's compact and well built. If you're inclined, there's no reason not to go for it.

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:55 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pentax K1, KP - Anyone using??

Also the KP has a lot more newer native lenses.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.