New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

hauxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

I'll be flying to Hamburg tomorrow (dec 7th) and would like to ask if anyone could recommend photo stores to visit. I'm planning to buy a Samyang 12mm f/2 for my Fuji X-T2 and might also end up buying the Fuji 16mm f/1.4 too. Seems like Saturn has a store not that far from my hotel. Calumet is further away but has the Samyang in it's inventory, would probably need to take a taxi there.

I'd also like to visit stores with used gear, vintage lenses etc.

..and I'm all ears for great locations.

Hrannar

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:41 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

Nothing against your plan, but please be aware that Germany charges federal sales tax of 19% on all goods you are buying....which makes IMO the overall price for a new lens fairly unattractive to buy in Germany compared to other countries - also in the EU.

Germany doesn't has many stores left which trade used or vintage lenses. The ones I knew all closed down in recent years or changed their portfolio.

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:29 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

retrofocus wrote:
Nothing against your plan, but please be aware that Germany charges federal sales tax of 19% on all goods you are buying....which makes IMO the overall price for a new lens fairly unattractive to buy in Germany compared to other countries - also in the EU.

Germany doesn't has many stores left which trade used or vintage lenses. The ones I knew all closed down in recent years or changed their portfolio.

Iceland (where I'm from) is not a part of the EU so I should be able to get the VAT tax refunded when leaving Germany. So 995 euros (for the XF16/1.4) would be close to 837 eruos or a bit less than 1000 usd.

Here in Iceland the lens costs more than $1500 (incl.24% VAT). So buying the lens in Grmany is a no brainer for me.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:51 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

Do you get taxed for buying used outside Iceland? A 16mm recently sold for ~$750USD here on FM.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:59 AM
gerhard.hagen

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

Hi,

i am from Germany and i can recommend the Calumet Store in Hamburg, very friendly and helpful people.

Another one would be Foto-Partner ProShop ( Foto-Partner Pro Photo Fuji Lenses ), also very helpful folks, who i personally also dealt with.

Have fun. Hamburg is a great city for photographers.

Gerhard

Edit: Calumet Hamburg has two copies of the Fuji XF 16 1.4 available, Foto-Partner none, so it might be better to make a reservation with Calumet and pick them up in Hamburg

Dec 06, 2017 at 10:49 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

For older used gear I like the Photohaus Colonnaden:
https://www.photohaus.de/
But I am not often there. I buy most times on Ebay.

There is the Binnenalster nearby,and now the christmas market there. And even better the christmas market on the historic town hall ("Rathaus") which is also very close.
How long do you stay here?

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:25 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shopping lenses in Hamburg Germany

Thanks for the replies! Fujifilm Iceland lowered the price for so I bought it from them. I might still make a visit to the Calumet store just to browse.

Dec 08, 2017 at 05:20 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.