FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
My cameras are never in the rain or by the ocean for this exact reason. Sony weathersealing is non existent and hat eye continue to disappoint on this front.

You should switch systems if you think Sony's design is preventing you from getting out in bad weather. The truth is the weather sealing is fine for most conditions if proper precautions are taken. The A7R was a bit iffy IMO (hot shoe), the A7RII was actually great, the A7RIII will likely be better. I have used all my Sony's in bad weather with ZERO issues. I don't think twice about it. However, this is the internet and weather sealing will always be a biased concern to some... Not an issue though.

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:46 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

LBJ2 wrote:
"Major buttons and dials are sealed. Sealing is provided throughout the body to minimize entry of dust and moisture29."

With no evidence of traditional gaskets/seals maybe it is something like hydrophobic coatings as depicted below.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3/specifications

A bit more info coming out about the A7rIII weather sealing:

"If you open the new Sony up, you won’t find gaskets or air tight rubber seals on each individual button and screw like you might on a Pentax. Instead, Sony appears to have taken a subtler approach to protecting their latest full frame from the elements. A mix of some rubber, a tight fit, and rather large lips at the edge of each piece of the chassis seem to do the job when it comes to keeping the rain out of sensitive components."

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/pat-nadolski-says-sony-a7r-iii-weather-sealing-much-better-predecessors/#more-65059

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:49 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
Here’s their reply re: gaskets and stuff:

From Kolari Vision

“There's actually no rubberized gaskets or anything like that. The edges where the camera comes together look standard. Any weatherproofing must be done with just very tight joints, and possibly hydrophobic coatings.”

Interesting no? Brings Roger Cicala’s article on the (lack of) weatherselaing in Sony bodies into sharp relief.

You don't need gaskets to weather seal.

Dec 06, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Sure, but it’s a good way to do it. Look, without testing we’re throwing darts in the dark. That said the authors updated their info. Check it out. https://kolarivision.com/sony-a7r-iii-weather-sealing-examination/

nekrosoft13 wrote:
You don't need gaskets to weather seal.

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:06 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

'seem to do the job when it comes to keeping the rain out of sensitive components.'

Yet another reason to trust your fellow photographers most of all. People who actually do the business, rather than work in a lab, making ill-considered judgments by staring at components. There are almost 100,000 images in the FE image thread, it's very easy to identify the large number of them that were shot in tough conditions, including mist/rain and at the seaside. Check them out.

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:25 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
Sure, but it’s a good way to do it. Look, without testing we’re throwing darts in the dark. That said the authors updated their info. Check it out. https://kolarivision.com/sony-a7r-iii-weather-sealing-examination/

And you think Sony didn't test it? Do you think Sony is run by morons?

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:57 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

We need not have to elevate the temperature. There are facts that support that they do rush products out before thorough testing.

Case in point: RX1R II EVF light leak and recall.

(The great thing about Sony related to that problem is their quick acknowledgement.)

nekrosoft13 wrote:
And you think Sony didn't test it? Do you think Sony is run by morons?

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:54 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Every manufacturer has recalls...does this mean they all rush products out?

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:24 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Not necessarily, I would think. For example, the very slow and methodical Leica folks were simply unaware of certain issues related to their sensors before they marketed their cameras.

(Recently, I got back my MM from Leica after a sensor replacement.)

chez wrote:
Every manufacturer has recalls...does this mean they all rush products out?

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:36 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

realVivek wrote:
Not necessarily, I would think. For example, the very slow and methodical Leica folks were simply unaware of certain issues related to their sensors before they marketed their cameras.

(Recently, I got back my MM from Leica after a sensor replacement.)

And the strap lugs on the M240? Don't forget about those. As much as I loved my M, no camera gave me as many repair or maintenance issues as that one did. As you say, slow and methodical is no guarantee of long-term reliability.

I've used my Sony A9 in light rain and had no problem. Given that I've lost two unprotected D800s to submersion, though, I think I'm done testing the sealing of expensive, naked cameras, particularly given my preference for adapted lenses. I think, Roger Cicala said it best (I'm paraphrasing) - there are people question the resiliency of their cameras to the elements, and people who will someday question the resiliency of their cameras to the elements. Experience is a good if harsh teacher and I've gotten enough to know that a small clear plastic bag is your friend, and more reliable than any gasket (particularly on cameras older than a few years). Those can protect cameras for torrential rains or partial submersion for little to no cost!

Dec 21, 2017 at 04:06 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

My A7R2 got used all the time doing seascapes, hiking trips, etc. No problems at all besides delamination of the LCD, but that was on me for not putting a screen protector on (on as of day 1 with the A7R3).

A damp wash cloth to take care of salt spray every evening was all it seemed to need.

Dec 21, 2017 at 08:10 AM
samestars

[X]
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Useful stuff, thanks for posting!

Jan 27, 2018 at 01:52 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Slow and methodical can simply be a function of "We've got 6 people on this team". Whereas Sony may have 20 people on their team, some of those being cross-disciplinary into other areas of the conglomerate. For example: smartphone designers.

And engineering and design teams do work to schedules and deadlines. Some of the deadlines can be laughably unrealistic, and political (I speak from experience). Some schedules you could base a career on. And marketing doesn't always get the story straight. It is all about people, and their desires and capabilities, backgrounds and skill sets. Hopefully there are a few people watching out for the most obvious issues.

I'm always amazed at an automobile with an internal combustion engine and automatic transmission that can run 60,000 miles without any attention being paid to it.

Jan 27, 2018 at 02:08 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

carlitos wrote:
I'm always amazed at an automobile with an internal combustion engine and automatic transmission that can run 60,000 miles without any attention being paid to it.

So true, I always think of automobiles as an example of what is possible when it comes to reliability.

Well, most of them these days anyway. My dad once had a Chrysler K car back in the 80’s. He knew they were unreliable, but bought this particular one because every single component had been replaced during the warranty period. He thought this ensured it’s reliability. I told him it ensured it’s unreliability. I was right.... what a horrible car.

Jan 27, 2018 at 02:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.