2       end

Archive 2017 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III
That was fast!
Ilija Melentijevic, the founder of Kolari Vision, posted a teardown of the new A7R III body at PetaPixel.com.

"We liked this camera so much, we almost decided not to tear it apart. Almost. We present you with the first look inside an a7R III."...

Read the entire teardown

Pre-order links:!

Sony A7R III body at B&H Photo, Adorama | Amazon ($3,198)

Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS at B&H Photo | Adorama | Amazon ($1,298)

Dec 04, 2017 at 06:39 PM
lightskyland
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Not much inside! I think the RX100M2 I disassembled to clean the sensor had a lot more parts.

Dec 04, 2017 at 07:02 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Wow. I’m glad someone out there will do this stuff. Thanks for the post.

Dec 04, 2017 at 07:07 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

mudlake wrote:
Wow. I’m glad someone out there will do this stuff. Thanks for the post.

+1

Dec 04, 2017 at 07:46 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Remarkable!

The II had copper shields going up to the EVF to distribute the heat. The reverse, in colder climates, condensing moisture onto the motherborad led to major issues in some cases.

This is removed in the III and the heat distribution is now directed to the bottom.

Atleast one ingenious mod (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/569543-sony-a7rii-astronomy-cooling-modification-2-in-1/) on the A7rII did exactly this!

I wonder if Sony is actively learning from the hacks out there? In any event, changes/improvements should be applauded!

Now, if only they would implement a good heat sink in the battery grip and drain the heat away via the a battery compartment...

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:11 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

I’ve asked them for an accounting of the rubberized seals throughout the body. Some annotations of the tear down could give us a good sense of the degree of weather sealing and concomitant claims Sony makes about how weather resistant this body is.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:35 PM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Here’s their reply re: gaskets and stuff:

From Kolari Vision

“There's actually no rubberized gaskets or anything like that. The edges where the camera comes together look standard. Any weatherproofing must be done with just very tight joints, and possibly hydrophobic coatings.”

Interesting no? Brings Roger Cicala’s article on the (lack of) weatherselaing in Sony bodies into sharp relief.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:47 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
“There's actually no rubberized gaskets or anything like that. The edges where the camera comes together look standard. Any weatherproofing must be done with just very tight joints, and possibly hydrophobic coatings.”

I don't know about other connection points but I am pretty sure the battery door (and probably others) has a gasket. Will have to double check.

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:02 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:

From Kolari Vision

Interesting no? Brings Roger Cicala’s article on the (lack of) weatherselaing in Sony bodies into sharp relief.

"Major buttons and dials are sealed. Sealing is provided throughout the body to minimize entry of dust and moisture29."

With no evidence of traditional gaskets/seals maybe it is something like hydrophobic coatings as depicted below.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3/specifications

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Perhaps gaskets are overrated.

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:25 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Fred Miranda wrote:

I think I need to re-read the "Covers drops, SPILLS, and malfunctions" section of my A7rIII service plan again

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:38 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

I have checked mine and there is rubber gasket around most of the battery cover door and again around the SD card door. The other port covers have no rubber gasket seal.

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:40 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

They certainly are! Heat dissipation balanced against weather sealing is no easy task!

Fred Miranda wrote:

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:13 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
I’ve asked them for an accounting of the rubberized seals throughout the body. Some annotations of the tear down could give us a good sense of the degree of weather sealing and concomitant claims Sony makes about how weather resistant this body is.

Given how interested you are in this particular issue and possible problem, remind me never to buy a used camera or lens from you!!!

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:21 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

realVivek wrote:
They certainly are! Heat dissipation balanced against weather sealing is no easy task!

I was thinking about this myself. Looking at all those electronics, the heat has to go somewhere.

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:36 AM
dtcls100

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Looking at my A7R3, there definitely are rubberized gaskets around the inside of SD card door and also on the optional battery grip where it inserts into the camera body. The port doors do not have these gaskets, but appear to be made of a kind of rubberized flexible plastic that seals very tightly. Don’t know how the Kolari folks missed this. However, from an outside inspection, the speaker/microphone openings appear open to the elements, although very small. If using in the rain, I would cover them with waterproof tape.

Justin Stone wrote:

From Kolari Vision

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:59 AM
Justin Stone
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

My cameras are never in the rain or by the ocean for this exact reason. Sony weathersealing is non existent and they continue to disappoint on this front. But yes, I appreciate the place from which your humor springs.

chiron wrote:
Given how interested you are in this particular issue and possible problem, remind me never to buy a used camera or lens from you!!!

Edited on Dec 06, 2017 at 10:14 AM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:09 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

This is quite true. In addition to lack of weather sealing there are moisture traps (A7rII copper shield going upto to the EVF, attracting condensation), the design of the review button in Sony RX1R II- cameras built with kill switches or death traps.

As much as I like Sony cams (and they are the only ones I use now), I feel that the sony engineers should be allowed to see daylight once in a while and actually test what they design before their products come to the market.

Justin Stone wrote:
My cameras are never in the rain or by the ocean for this exact reason. Sony weathersealing is non existent and hat eye continue to disappoint on this front.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:31 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Well my A7R's, A7R2's and a6300 are always near the ocean, along the beach, salt and sand spray, and my older 5 and 6 series Nex and a6300 go kayaking with me, and although I also decry the lack of sealing in them they have soldiered on for years.

http://a4.pbase.com/g10/63/551663/2/165654209.iC7jhBth.jpg
http://a4.pbase.com/g9/63/551663/2/164774470.r2uiNW6Y.jpg
http://a4.pbase.com/g9/63/551663/2/164307874.hdte2ESF.jpg

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:40 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
My cameras are never in the rain or by the ocean for this exact reason. Sony weathersealing is non existent and hat eye continue to disappoint on this front.

I've hiked through 2 days of monsoon rain in Vietnam, shooting with an A7R without any issues. Used a couple of moisture wicking towels to dry off the camera when it became drenched.

Shot many seascapes in Kauai to the point I had to change the filters on a regular basis due to extreme salt buildup. Just cleaned the A7R with damp towels and still keeps on ticking.

Just finished 3 weeks in Morocco with a lot of blowing sand in the desert. Too much sand to change lenses, but my A7R2 just needed a fine cleaning with a camel hair brush...kept on ticking.

I've been given zero reasons to shy away from using my Sony gear in any conditions I usually shoot in.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.