New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need some Mac help

Norm Shapiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some Mac help

I've done an online search and Apple support but haven't found an answer yet. Several years ago I partitioned my MacBook Pro into two partition which each having a different OS. I just bought another external hard drive to use with Time Machine. My question is do I need to open each partition and run Time Machine for that partition AND can I do it on the same hard drive?

Right now I'm doing my first Time Machine backup on my primary partition and it will take 2 hours it says.

I'm doing all this so I can upgrade the secondary partition to a OS that will run DXO.

Thanks

Dec 04, 2017 at 05:27 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some Mac help

Hi Norm
I am assumig you have Time Machine set up as a separate HD and in my opinion its own HD with no other partitions.

Time Machine should back up all partitions that are open and mounted just as if it were its own HD.

Hope that helps

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some Mac help

John, yes a new external HD just for Time Machine. Each partition has a different OS and only one is open at a time. I ran Time Machine with one partition (Yosemite). It moved 124.70 GB over and when I opened the drive it showed both partitions. Then I restarted and moved the other partition thru Time Machine but it only moved 120MB (I think). When I check the partition themselves they read Yosemite-105GB used out of 158 GB totaland the other on as 29.5 GB out of 130 GB available.

I've tried looking at the HD with Time Machine but I just see a stack of pages.

So I'm not sure it actually backed up,the second partition because the numbers don't add up.

124.70GB moved with the Yosemite partition running, while the partitions themselves add up to 130 GB used.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:58 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some Mac help

Also when I open up Time Machine preferences it says 1.89'TB of 2 TB available.

Dec 04, 2017 at 09:01 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some Mac help

Not sure about your numbers, but I have 3 partitions on 3TB: Sierra, El Capitan, and a partition for testing before I do upgrades. Since they are encrypted, I did not save the password for the TEST partition in the keychain which means when I boot, I cancel out and it does not mount and therefore will not backup (as intended).

The other 2 back up normally from the Sierra partition as do my external HDDs. There is no need to run TM separately. It will backup everything that is currently mounted.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:13 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some Mac help

Thanks Bernie, I called Apple again and this time talked with someone who was knowledgeable in Time Machine. And she explained that was what happened. And she sent me the links to download Sierra and then High Sierra. Then I'll have one partition that is running the latest OS.

After all that is done time to download DXO Photolab tryout and see if I can figure it out and if I like it.

Thanks Bernie and John for the help.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:43 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.