Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

andrewsk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

Zenon Char thanks for all your help here. Much appreciated!!!!

I really don't think that the cause is that one image is too far zoomed out. Here is a much more exact zoom. No PP on either file.

Dec 05, 2017 at 01:11 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

No problem. They were trying to trouble shoot a similar problem in a different site and I noticed that the images weren't the same. In that case the poster actually accidentally use two files. Only one was in focus so that was why I asked. First thing I look for now.

I have seen this before and there was a long thread here of how the 1DX II was sharper than the 5D4. 20MP sensor compared to a 30MP sensor. One crop was larger than the other. You have to size and downsample everything properly to compare apples to apples.

I did the work to show one example of both at 100% but you beat me to it. Here it is anyway.

LR at 1:1 and PS at 100%

Dec 05, 2017 at 01:34 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

If you hit the import button on Lightroom, then go to the upper left corner and select file handling. Is it set to minimal, standard, 1:1?

Have you tried changing these import settings?

Dec 05, 2017 at 04:47 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

Those are preview builds. Minimal builds when you open it so the import is faster. 1:1 builds while importing so it is very slow. Embedded and sidecar uses Jpegs temporarily so you can cull while the previews build. Standard Display previews as Lightroom Classic CC renders them.

They all eventually wind up at 1:1. Andrew just zoomed out too much.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

So I'm still trying to figure out how to crop to the same size in LR but I don't there is a way to do it. PS is a pixel editor and LR is a photo editor. LR deals in print sizes when you crop.

However when I put my head on my pillow last night and had monkey mind last night something occurred to me. Crop in LR and then use the edit in PS command. Both images will now be identical. Something I have done for a long time but never really thought of it that way. I would just send it to PS for additional editing.

Monkey Mind. My wife came up with that one. Ever go to the zoo and see the moneys swinging and chasing each other around. That is what goes on in your head when you can't sleep

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

Well you can't actually enter the dimension but if you press the letter i on the keyboard this comes up that will get help get your crop close. You can set up your view options by clicking on View in the top bar and then View Options.

Dec 05, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

Sure a lot easier than the way I was doing it.

Dec 05, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

Oh yeah. Moving the vertical and horizontal crop bars takes a little effort if you want a perfect match. I did one at a time and then moved the whole crop around after I got the dimension right. Still better than nothing and you can achieve a perfect match if you want to.

Thank you as well. I learned something new. I ran into the exact same thing myself several years ago and figured out to match the crops and export sizes. I was going to look into finding an easier method but always got distracted. I never have the view options enabled so it never occurred to take advantage of them.

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:08 PM
TopStepPhotography

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

Interesting. I’d have pulled my hair out :-). Great info on the responses.

Subscribing.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:47 PM
GumaRodak
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lightroom impoerts are SOOO soft (With Photoshop comparison)

maybe its because you are in library mode and LR is just showing the internal JPG preview instead of the raw while PS is working with the RAW file?

Jan 13, 2018 at 07:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.