New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Tripod/Head suggestions

finnskeeper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod/Head suggestions

I have to hang my head in shame and admit that I have never been a tripod user and have almost no experience with one. But I recently purchased the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens and combined with my Canon 1DX it has become apparent that I need to use one. I went on a trip with this the weekend before last and purchased a 3 Legged Thing Eclipse Leo Carbon Fiber Tripod System with AirHed Switch Ball Head from BH which theoretically should have worked, but in practice the legs of the tripod bowed and the ball head couldn't hold the weight of the camera lens combo. The whole thing kept collapsing and it was a complete disaster. I did try initially to remove one of the legs and use it as a monopod as advertised but I am sure if I had kept going with that the leg would have broken. So I am done with trying to find the cheapest way to go and want to get a set up that really works. And FWIW I am saving up for the Canon 800mm and maybe in a few years it would be great if what I get could grow with me so to speak. So what set up should I get? I have never used a Gimbal but from what I have read that may be the way to go. I want to use this for wildlife photography in the field and I am a 5'2" female so weight is also a bit of a consideration because I have to carry this combo on long hikes. That also means it doesn't have to be a super tall tripod. I would also like to be able to travel with it on a plane as carry on if possible. There isn't really a way for me to try this out locally before I buy. Thanks!

Dec 02, 2017 at 08:41 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod/Head suggestions

You might peruse these:
https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tripods
Both these brands are well recognized as top notch quality.

Edit:
A couple lower-priced brands that seem to be well liked:
http://www.feisol.net/
https://www.indurogear.com/

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod/Head suggestions

finnskeeper wrote:
I have to hang my head in shame and admit that I have never been a tripod user and have almost no experience with one. But I recently purchased the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens and combined with my Canon 1DX it has become apparent that I need to use one. I went on a trip with this the weekend before last and purchased a 3 Legged Thing Eclipse Leo Carbon Fiber Tripod System with AirHed Switch Ball Head from BH which theoretically should have worked, but in practice the legs of the tripod bowed and the ball head couldn't hold
...Show more

I'd suggest a 2 series RRS (perhaps TVC-24) legs and the Jobu Jr. 3, which is a small, but well made gimbal. The total weight of those is under 5 lbs. and will handle a 1DX and 150-600. However, you will want a larger gimbal for an 800mm, something like the Jobu DMG-HD4 or the full Wimberley. I'd use a larger tripod for an 800mm to reduce vibration to the minimum at lower shutter speeds.

EBH

Edited on Dec 02, 2017 at 10:49 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:46 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod/Head suggestions

For starters, get an inexpensive full gimbal, perhaps like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gimbal-Tripod-Head-with-Arca-Swiss-Standard-Quick-Release-Plate-/192051228001
You could spend a lot more on a gimbal that is buttery smooth, but I wouldn't bother yet.
Alternately, you could get a sidekick attachment for your ball head, but you probably wouldn't save that much weight and it can be harder to attach.

And a low weight but sturdy tripod like
http://www.feisol.net/tripods/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct-3442-rapid.html
No doubt the RRS tripod is high quality, but I don't think it is worth the extra cash. YMMV

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Melancholia
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod/Head suggestions

If you have intentions of growing with a tripod, then prepare to spend some money. You won't regret it. And yes, if you are committed to wildlife, then a gimbal is the best way to go. And get a tripod with a removable top plate. Those models will allow you to replace the top mounting plate with a levelling base. What that base does is it allows you to level the top of the tripod. So that when you mount a gimbal on top, the gimbal can pan level to the horizon. Levelling the tripod using the legs is annoying. And how often do wildlife and landscape shooter find themselves on level ground? Never. A levelling base is not as important if you use a ballhead. But gimbals need it more.

Tripod recommendations: Gitzo Systematic 3 series, RRS TVC Versa Series 3. Those two will always show up on anyone's recommended list. I have the Gitzo GT3532LS. And I love it. Of course, you'll likely choose a shorter one.
I would also throw Promediagear into the mix. I don't have any experience with their stuff but I've been window-shopping them for past couple months. Impressive stuff. Look at their 34mm line. Their shortest one TR343 will come in under 3.7lbs, which is the lightest I've seen for this class. Finally, FLM just released a Berlin 38.4 on Indiegogo. I have an FLM travel tripod and their build is also top-notch. The Berlin is the heaviest of my 4 recommended legs but probably the most capable given the thick legs. All of these carbon fibre legs will have the upper leg section diameters of at least 32mm, which is what I would do, especially if you want an even longer lens in the future. All of them can accept a levelling base.

Gimbal: I'm not a wildlifer, but I do own the 150-600mm Sport also. If you haven't already, my strong recommendation is to upgrade the stock foot with Jobu LF-S156S replacement foot. It has a built in Arca Swiss groove and most importantly, it is long enough to balance the lens when you zoom out to 600mm. As you know, the lens becomes really front heavy at 600. I would go with a Jobu if I needed a gimbal. They are a Canadian company with a strong reputation in the gimbal market.

Dec 02, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod/Head suggestions

Hi Finnskeeper,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with your current set-up, but the positive side of this is, you're now headed down the right track.

Now, it would be easy for me, or anyone else for that matter, to suggest "buy this,,,,no,,buy that", but there's a few more hurdles to clear before deciding on an ultimate solution that'll best match your personal needs. A few questions need to be addressed before continuing.

1. Are you looking to have only one do-it-all tripod? "Travel tripods" and "wild-life/big-glass" tripods are often (but not always) at opposite ends of the spectrum.

2.How flexible is your budget?

For ultimate stability, you may want to get something like a Gitzo 5-series Systematic tripod with three-section legs. Standard height will do, as those generally measure 53" tall with no center-column. By the time you've added a leveling base and your gimbal (or ball-head), your cameras' viewfinder will be at roughly 63" of height,,,, or, slightly taller than you are. This class of tripod truly excels, regardless of brand. (Gitzo, RRS, PMG, FLM, JobuDesign, etc). Naturally, they tend to be a bit heavier than most of the "Traveller" type tripods. (roughly 4.2-4.7 lbs), and with only three leg sections, they fold a bit longer than the 4 and 5 leg-section tripods, but with fewer leg-joints, the 3-section tripod will generally tend to be stiffer. (not all leg locks are created equal)

Living with only one tripod can present challenges,,, and you may be forced in some cases, to decide which characteristics are most important to you,,,, stability,,,weight,,, height,,, folded length, etc. That said, Gitzo offers within their Systematic family of tripods, several versions of "Travel Systematic" tripods,,, which offer all the beefiness of their 4 and 5-series Systematics, in a 5 or 6 leg-section tripod(GT-4553TS and GT-5563TS), which fold to 18". These tripods can easily handle weight exceeding 55 and 88 lbs. respectively. I own four Gitzo tripods,, including the 4-series GT-4552TS,, and can highly recommend it for all of your stated needs.(weighs 4.7 lbs/payload 55 lbs/ 18" folded)

My stiffest tripod, is a 5-series 3-leg-section GT-5532S Systematic, which doesn't fold quite as compactly,, but the GT4552TS is more than adequate for the gear you're contemplating.

Regarding dedicated "Traveller series" tripods, I went with a Gitzo GT-2545T with the Gitzo GH-1382QD head. That's fine for lenses up to 200mm or so,,, and in good weather, can handle more,,, but it simply is not as torsionally ridgid as the 4 and 5 series tripods I've mentioned above.I wouldn't recommend this set-up for your stated application with long glass nor gimbal heads.

I've also got a 3-series extra-tall Systematic (GT-3542XLS),,, and for the most part, it's fine with a gimbal head and long glass, but again, not quite as supportive as the 4 and 5 series models. My 5-series for example, has a lowest leg-section that's as big in diameter as the top leg-section of the 3-series.

Regarding gimbal heads; look at the offerings from RRS, PMG, Wimberley, and JobuDesign. I went with a Jobu Design BWG-HD3 gimbal head, and I'm completely happy with that unit. It'll probably out-live me, and Jobu Design is a great company to deal with. Excellent product and customer support. They also offer a heckuva good tripod in their heavy-dutyAlgonquin and Killarney models, which are roughly equivalent to a 4-series Gitzo. They're essentially the same tripod, except the Algonquin is the taller of the two. Jobu Design is a Canadian company, so the currently weaker Canadian dollar makes their offerings particularly attractive if you're in the U.S. (B&H also sells Jobu Design products). Product build-quality and construction is absolutely top-notch.

Don't forget a good leveling base. On the tripods which have non-removeable top-plates, you might want to consider something like the Acratech 1117 leveling base. On my Gitzo Systematics, I use the Gitzo GSLVLS leveling base. That unit also requires that you get the appropriate 75mm half-bowl adapter. There's one version of 75mm half-bowl that fits the series 2-3-and 4 Systematics,,,, and a larger-diameter version 75mm half-bowl that fits the 5-series Systematic. I have both, so I can swap my levelling base in seconds, from the series 3, or 4, or 5. Great to have, and a pleasure to use.

Good luck.

Dec 02, 2017 at 11:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod/Head suggestions

One of the advantages of the RRS tripods in the 2 series is the optional leveling base that replaces the center platform. I've used the Acratech leveling base on Gitzo 2 series tripods, but having the two threaded sections adding to the connection is not ideal. In 3+ series tripods there are of course multiple options in bowl-type leveling bases. I use the RRS TLA-3 on a Gitzo 3 series.

EBH

Dec 03, 2017 at 12:47 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod/Head suggestions

I have been using a Feisol 3372 tripod with either a Feisol or Markins head. It has held my Tammy 150-600 lens with D800 or D7100 with no problems. I chose this one because the head is milled from a solid aluminum billet, not cast metal. The legs were also a bit bigger in diameter. When I bought mine the legs folding over the head was unheard of.

Dec 03, 2017 at 01:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod/Head suggestions

She wants a gimbal for the long lens. The Markins Q20i has a gimbal plate adapter that works just well enough up to balance a 80-400 or similar lens and allow hands-off movement, but I'd not want to balance a 150-600 with that setup unless tightening and untightening it every time. A full gimbal or SideKick is better.

EBH

Dec 03, 2017 at 02:09 AM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod/Head suggestions

I believe that the RRS TVC-34L is best and most versatile tripod in existence. http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-34L-Versa-series-3-4-sections-leg-long

But it's not cheap.

Dec 03, 2017 at 06:09 AM
finnskeeper

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod/Head suggestions

Thanks so much everyone you have given me so much great information. Budget is of course an issue for me (isn't it for everybody) but I really want to get something that will work well and is a long term solution. Is there a general rule of thumb with weight and what a set of legs/head can take? After throwing away money on the three legged thing tripod which supposedly had a load capacity on the head of 81 lbs and 66 lbs on the legs I am feeling a bit nervous about going by specs (there is no way that tripod could handle that kind of weight!). Or is it just that certain manufacturers are more reliable about their weight specs? The information about the leveling base was great. I wish I could try some of this before buying but that isn't really an option for me. This time I am going to invest in a good tripod I can grow with. I am going to take a look at all the suggestions!

Dec 03, 2017 at 10:54 AM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod/Head suggestions

Here's Jobu Design's Algonquin,,,rated to 25kgs.(55 lbs). The guy standing on top of that tripod and gimbal, is the president of Jobu Design, and he weighs roughly 180 lbs. I'd say the weight-rating is a little on the conservative side,,,,wouldn't you?

Unfortunately, there's no regulated standard for weight ratings.

http://jobu-design.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/tripod/tripod%20200lb%20test_400x600.jpg

Dec 03, 2017 at 12:07 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod/Head suggestions

finnskeeper wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb with weight and what a set of legs/head can take? After throwing away money on the three legged thing tripod which supposedly had a load capacity on the head of 81 lbs and 66 lbs on the legs I am feeling a bit nervous about going by specs (there is no way that tripod could handle that kind of weight!). Or is it just that certain manufacturers are more reliable about their weight specs?

With any luck you should be able to recoup the cost of your purchase from B&H by returning the 3 Legged Thing tripod and ballhead as unfit for use. I've returned one or two things to them and the credit has come through immediately. They are a reputable company. The classic online read in this area is Thom Hogan's Tripods and Ball Heads. A lot of people have skimped on support purchases and learned the hard way as unfortunately there is no reliable performance standardization data because of the proliferation of manufacturers. You simply cannot trust the specs you read from most companies. The top manufacturers are Gitzo and RRS and their specs are generally conservative, but they're about the only ones you can believe AFAIK. Retailers like B&H simply use the specs they're given by the manufacturers and many are just wildly unrealistic.

Surely there's at least one camera shop or club in your city where you can try out some tripods and get some local experience? Also you don't need to buy a ballhead made by the same company as the tripod; tripod bases have a standard 3/8" stud and ballheads have a standard 3/8" socket so most ballheads can be screwed onto most tripods. Acratech, Arca-Swiss, Kirk, Markins and RRS all make high quality ballheads.

EB-1 wrote:
I'd suggest a 2 series RRS (perhaps TVC-24) legs and the Jobu Jr. 3, which is a small, but well made gimbal.

I think this is good advice, the RRS TVC-24 has remarkable specs and is the equivalent of a series-3 Gitzo but with a folded size the same as a travel tripod yet weighs just 1/2lb more than a traveler. For a ballhead I'd suggest the Acratech GP-s which is designed for harsh environments like beaches and extreme cold. It also has a built-in leveling base so you don't need to buy one. The TVC-24 and GP-s would set you back $1340 from B&H but with care they will last a lifetime.

Dec 03, 2017 at 12:51 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod/Head suggestions

I have the RS TVC 24L for use with my D5 and 500mm/f4 lens. (The RRS Series 3 would be a bit better, but I do a LOT of international travel and some walking with the setup, so tripod/head weight is a key consideration.) I use either a Wimberley or Jobu gimbal for the 500mm/f4. For my other lenses I have the RRS BH55 and BH40 ball heads.

If you haven't read this article.....do so....Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Dec 03, 2017 at 01:09 PM
finnskeeper

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod/Head suggestions

Okay right now I am considering getting the Really Right Stuff TVC-33S Versa Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Short) and the Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II with Quick Release Base. This is more than I wanted to pay, but it would hopefully grow with me. I am very careful with my equipment and would like this to be the last tripod I buy if possible. I am also considering the Jobu Design Killarney 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod legs which would save some money. I do a lot of shooting in sandy, marshy environments (I'm on the Florida Panhandle) so I would like something that handles that well. I am also going to Ecuador for a month next year and would like something to take with me there. I tend to do 10-15 mile hikes with equipment but I am fairly strong so I am hoping I can handle the weight. I am in the one part of Florida where we don't really have high end photo equipment available to try. I miss when I lived in LA and could run to Sammy's. I am right on the Panhandle near the Alabama border so New Orleans at 3+ hours away or Atlanta (5 hours) are probably my best bets for trying equipment. I generally just order everything from B&H.

Dec 03, 2017 at 02:34 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod/Head suggestions

^ The RRS looks like a good choice provided that you can deal with the almost 23" folded length of the 33S. That folded length may also scupper you taking the tripod in a carry-on. It does cover you for the 800mm though.

Dec 03, 2017 at 03:27 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod/Head suggestions

finnskeeper wrote:
Okay right now I am considering getting the Really Right Stuff TVC-33S Versa Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod (Short) and the Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II with Quick Release Base. This is more than I wanted to pay, but it would hopefully grow with me. I am very careful with my equipment and would like this to be the last tripod I buy if possible. I am also considering the Jobu Design Killarney 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod legs which would save some money. I do a lot of shooting in sandy, marshy environments (I'm on the Florida Panhandle) so
...Show more

Expense-wise, your best bet would be the Jobu Design Killarney tripod,,,,by a long shot.

I'd order directly from Jobu, and the Killarney tripod would cost you roughly $670. U.S.($849. Cdn.) They deliver free anywhere in North America, and their tripods come with rubber-capped spiked feet,,,, and foam leg-warmers on all 3 legs. (The other guys charge you for the spikes and leg-warmers). Jobu also throws in a free light-duty carry-bag, but they also offer an 80" camouflage bag for roughly $65. U.S.

Jobu also has factory second gimbal heads available from time to time. Check their "clearance" items. The heavy duty Mk. IV factory second seen here, is available for roughly $394. U.S. ($499. CDN. I would STRONGLY recommend that Heavy Duty Mk.IV over the Junior 3. It's a steal at that price. The Junior doesn't allow you to raise the camera platform,,,while the HD Mk IV has a higher capacity,, better bearings,, and a fully adjustable swing-arm.

All told, that would add up to roughly $1066. US, (tripod,spikes,leg-warmers,bag, and their heaviest duty gimbal)

http://jobu-design.3dcartstores.com/Clearouts_c_24.html

Dec 03, 2017 at 04:33 PM
finnskeeper

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod/Head suggestions

I was considering the Jobu Heavy duty head but it says that it is only rated for a lens/camera combo of up to 15lbs. So if I am able to upgrade to an 800 mm in a year or two I would have to get another head. So I was considering the Wimberley Gimble wth the Jobu Killarney legs.

Dec 03, 2017 at 04:51 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod/Head suggestions

finnskeeper wrote:
I was considering the Jobu Heavy duty head but it says that it is only rated for a lens/camera combo of up to 15lbs. So if I am able to upgrade to an 800 mm in a year or two I would have to get another head. So I was considering the Wimberley Gimble wth the Jobu Killarney legs.

I wouldn't worry about the weight rating with a gimbal like the HD Mk IV,,,remember, the tripod is rated to 25kgs, and the guy standing on it weighs 180 lbs.

Jobu's website may not have been updated in a while to include the 800mm, but they do say that a 600mmF4 and Pro camera body= "no problem". When I compare Canon's 800mm to its' 600mm lens, the weight difference is 1 lb.

You should also be aware that the 600mm/f;4 that Jobu says is "no problem",,,actually weighs more than the 800mm that you're considering.

from Jobu's website;

Jobu Heavy Duty HD4 Series,,,, 300 F2.8, 500 F4, 600 F4, 200-400 Pro zooms Max weight: 30lbs

Suitable for lenses and cameras weighing up to 15lbs ( 600mm F4 + Pro body - No problem! ).

From B&H website; weight rating 25 lbs.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1087515-REG/jobu_design_dmg_hd4_heavy_duty_gimbal.html

I'd give Jobu a call. You can probably speak directly with the owner, and he'll answer any questions you may have.

Oh, by the way, they also give you a free lens-plate with the HD Mk.IV gimbal.

Dec 03, 2017 at 06:49 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tripod/Head suggestions

http:/ /http://jobu-design.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/HD4_web_red_background.jpg

Dec 03, 2017 at 06:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.