New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

did you know there is a factory defect in all those units distributed before mid 2016?

the Canon technicians are on-site at my studio today. they are replacing all off the paper guides in my Pro-4000. the original guides are flat surfaced. which caused them to make abrasive and cut markings on the prints on all roller sizes and both roller feeds. the new guides have small rollers on them that should alleviate the paper markings.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4564/38770258511_f5a5a5a797_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4560/38770259371_6e5282fc72_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4525/23905597167_b97400acf2_h.jpg

the marks are not that noticeable on some images depending on the viewing angle and subject matter.

am i the only lucky one that has incurred this phenomenon?

Edited on Dec 01, 2017 at 10:04 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2017 at 03:00 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

all done. it took the Canon technicians 5+ hours to replace all of those guides and upgraded hardware, wow. now i've got a technician adjusted, calibrated, bad ass Canon large format printer that is performing the way that it should for a $5000.00 unit.

i loved the service and cordiality of the technicians. they gave me some good advice that you can not get from documentation or reviews. i related to them that i was a disabled retired Electronic Software Engineer then we really had a blast. they could talk with me one to one and didn't have to relate to me in joe six pack language. i had a blast with those good old boys, lol.

the little things that we as laymen don't know. mr. johnson load your heavy rolls on the top roller the internal motor drive is heftier than the bottom feed motor drive, less wear on your printer hardware. mr. johnson when using thicker media load from the bottom feed the feeder path is longer with less bend curvature and it will feed more readily. this sensor works this way that sensor does this.

overall a very good experience i was able to ask questions of the experts and get good technical answers. some of the things i learned is not to be repeated. it's inside game for Canon.

i had a very good time with those technicians and i learned a lot of valuable information concerning the operation of my Canon Pro 4000.

another caveat of this is my print head is still good and functioning like it should function. it was very informative to learn that printer head contact is defined as horizontal markings parallel to the leading edge on the paper. not the perpendicular markings that are apparent in the images above. this is very relevant because on 2" cored rolls when one gets close to the end of those rolls the paper curvature is such that the vacuum suction can not hold the paper flat on the platter. resulting in print head contact with its' resultant horizontal paper markings.

the down side, no one that spends this kind of money on a brand new printer should have to deal with any of this crap. that new Canon printer should have been fully operational to the best of specifications right out of the box. the down time ink and material costs and lost profits because of marked prints should not be to my detriment because of Canon's factory defective printers.

Canon's bad policy, they will not replace perishable inventory even though it is their factory defective product that caused this situation. when i 1st contacted Canon about the problems i was having. Canon knew their printers were defective. instead of looking up the serial number or lot number of that printer to determine that it was part of a defective lot of printers. they had me adjusting this and that, platter cleaning, head height adjustment, paper thickness adj., etc. all the time materials being consumed ink and paper, money being lost.

finally, after all my whining and complaining to tech support. Canon had me take those pictures above and send them to the engineering department. they scheduled techs to come out and fix my printer ASAP. i was contacted to set the appointment time. the tech said there will be 3 large boxes of replacement parts delivered to me from Canon. 3 boxes of parts? hmmm, i thought, that's an awful lot of parts to fix this damned thing. i tell the technician, with this many parts shipped in advance Canon knows exactly how to fix the problem. then they have a factory defect in the Pro series printers? yes mr. johnson and it applies to the Pro 2000, 4000 and 6000 printers. well i'll be damned. then why did i have to go thru all the sh!t i went thru when Canon knew the damned thing was broken in the first place?

Edited on Dec 02, 2017 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2017 at 09:33 PM
dallvr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

OMG, that's a sad tale. Sorry you had to work so hard to get this problem fixed. Canon should never have shipped these printers with these defects, should have had recall, and never should have stonewalled you before finally fixing the problem.

I had been thinking of replacing my ipf6350 with one of these just because I know Canon will stop supporting an older printer at some point in the near future and it will get harder to find the OEM ink. Glad I haven't done it yet.

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:33 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

dallvr, i would not let my situation stop you from buying a Canon Pro series ipf large format printer. Canon tried to address the issue. they retrofitted the Pro series printers with new paper guides that eliminated the marking problems caused by the original guides.

all of that was done internal with no notification to we the public or a recall of the printers. the negative effect some distributors still have the defective printers in their stock. those printers are easily identifiable. by inspecting the paper guides. if the paper guides are smooth past the tips for the length of the guide with no small rollers present then those are the guides that need to be replaced in both the main unit and the optional second roll unit.

the problem as i see it, Canon did not inform the Service Center technical representatives that such a problem existed and that there is a work around to fix the problem. this was my second call to Canon concerning this problem. it took 3 days of dealing with the service tech rep to no avail before the problem was kicked up to Canon's engineering department. engineering requested that i take pictures so they could evaluate the problem. when engineering received the images they immediately scheduled the field technicians to come out to my site to correct the problem. no complaint there.

when working properly i stand by the quality of prints made by my Canon Pro 4000. it is an outstanding large format printer. i highly recommend the product. however, just be aware that some of the units in the distribution loop have not been retrofitted with the upgraded paper guides. and that the technical representatives are not aware that such problems exist. at least that was the case in the Albuquerque, New Mexico facility. it is my understanding that after early to mid 2016 all of Canon's Pro 2000, 4000, and 6000 printers are manufactured with the new guides and don't require retrofitting.

i hope that i have at least given you some useful information that may help in regard to your future purchase.

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:03 PM
dallvr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

Thanks for the information, especially about the details to look for to identify the old units. I will keep a copy of this thread for the time when I need to go shopping. For now my 6350 works fine and the prints look great. I haven't seen the prints from the new generation of printers, so I'll probably wait until I have trouble getting parts for my old printer.

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:04 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

progress report: the system analyst came out and all is well with my Pro 4000. she performed the last tweaks to bring the system on line and it is fully operational.

the analyst explained the calibration process incorporated in the ipf Pro series printers. critical information. the calibration process in the printer is a linearization. some one stated in a previous post "if that printer can even do a linearization" well now i can say yes it can.

the Pro 4000 is fixed and no longer marks the prints.

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

What do you do with such a large print?

Dec 14, 2017 at 01:20 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

Herb, to be sarcastic one hangs them on the wall for display but seriously, i sell prints and fine art paintings. to maximize profit we matte, frame, mount, and print in house.

i am a printmaker; a small volume print maker of fine arts giclee large format printing and reproduction. we print for photographers, artist's fine art prints, art galleries, exhibitors, signage, etc. most, not all photographers do not print their own works in large format. they typically have a print shop produce their large format works for them.

oh, and me. owning large format printers allows us to have total control of the entire photographic process, images and fine art reproductions. we control the entire process from front to back in house. reproduction, photography, post processing, printing, matting, frame making, and mounting are all under our control at Master of Light Studios. resulting in a calibrated highly integrated quality controlled large format environment. we produce very high quality fine art prints on the finest archival photo papers and fine art substrates available.

printmaking, the 3rd rail of photography. 'shoot RAW and print large'.....

R. Hiram Johnson II, thePhotographer
Master of Light Studios SOS

Edited on Dec 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Pro-2000, 4000, 6000

Glad to hear Canon stepped up to their problem in a professional manner. Rare these days with all manufacturers. Glad everyone who had these printers got them fixed and shot the bull with the techs...
Dan

Dec 15, 2017 at 09:37 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.