Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Ok, I am puzzled!

I received my E-M1.2 this Wednesday and tried it right away. I tried some slow shutter speeds and was like "Meh, maybe it's no better then the E-M1 after all" but today I noticed something is really wrong.

It's not in fact "not better" but it is much worse, leading me to think something is wrong with the sensor or stabilizer.

At slow speeds where the IS should work I actually get far worse results with the IS turned on (tried all modes) then I do with it turned off. I have updated the camera as well as the lenses all to the latest firmware. I have tried the 12-40, 40-150, 60mm macro and PL 25 F1.4 and they all give the same result. I then try my E-M1 with the same shutter speeds and IS turned on and I get sharp or more or less sharp results depending on shutter speed.

I have done a complete reset of the camera but since it was like this out of the box it shouldn't be a setting.

Adding two shots, the first is with IS OFF, 1 second exposure at 40mm with the 12-40 lens. Second shot is with IS turned to Auto.
I just sent Olympus a mail about this and will see what they respond but thought I'd ask the expertise here as well

Dec 01, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Looks pretty suspicious to me... please let us know what Olympus says. I haven't seen such behavior from mine.

Dec 01, 2017 at 02:54 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Wow, that is not good. The first EM1Mk2 I had, I really had a hard time getting some sharp shots. I returned the camera as I was in the return time period . The replacement did not have an issue. If returning is an option, I would ask for a replacement.

Birdie

Dec 01, 2017 at 03:29 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Very odd, seems like a hardware problem.
Bob

Dec 01, 2017 at 06:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Bummer! That’s not good. Send the camera back or ask for a another/replacement copy. Don’t settle for a repair - as you’ve not had the camera for a long time. You got a lemon.

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:39 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Ok thanks! Will contact the store on Monday and talk to them as well, will also see what Olympus says but I won't settle for a repair! Thanks for the advice

Birdied I wonder if yours had the same issue since you had the same problem? Weird!

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:48 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

I had the IS mechanism of my mk2 "repaired and recalibrated" when it went in to have the rubber grip sorted under warranty (they also fitted a new shutter at the same time)

Even so, I didn't see the effect you have there

I wonder if there is a weakness in the IS mechanism?

Certainly you need yours looking at / replacing based on those pics

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:30 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Thanks for reply @Brian Wadie

I wonder why they did the replace and calibration of yours? Did you have any problems with it?

The weird thing I am noticing is not only that the pictures with IS on are blurry as hell (unless the shutter times are very fast) but the viewfinder image actually stabilize when IS is on so SOMETHING is happening with the IS. I doesn't stabilize as much as I think it should but something is semi-working. Also, recording movies and the IS "works" but not as much as I think it should. High-res images seem to be all over the place so, soft as hell and blurry (yes, on a tripod) so something is up/weird with the IS mechanism.

Will have to wait till Monday to get a response from Olympus

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:41 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

They never said but I wondered if it had anything to do with the problems I had with the PL100-400 OIS fighting with the IBIS (sudden violent loss of stabilistation ) and one or two odd conflicts that seemed to arise in use

Likewise I had no indications of a shutter problem.

In my case, when I saw a problem with stabilisation it was very obvious in the EVF

Hope you get it sorted quickly as the mk2 is a wonderful tool

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New E-M1 Mark II IS faulty?

Thanks again for the replies Brian

Glad yours got sorted out! I wish I could see something in the EVF but I just can't, it's weird!

The Mk II is indeed a wonderful tool. I can't go back now after having tasted this speed and responsiveness. Shot it yesterday, 3500 frames with IBIS turned off. Tell you what, I've been speculating before wether I would miss Olympus IBIS or not and I can say for sure now I would miss it BIG TIME. I have goten so used to an almost rock steady view through the EVF that all the micro vibrations I saw now was extremely distracting.

Dec 03, 2017 at 04:14 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.