Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

To attain a high quality image on a large monitor, what do you suggest should be used for minimum pixel dimensions of an image?

Thank you

Robert

Nov 30, 2017 at 01:19 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

Use the monitor’s default resolution.

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:24 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

gdsf2 wrote:

This. No upscaling/downscaling in the mix messing things up.

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:53 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

gdsf2 wrote:

Yup. And get a glossy ”retina” 5k+ display. Just don’t look and any of your older images that you thought were sharp!

Nov 30, 2017 at 06:02 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

Gary Irwin wrote:
Yup. And get a glossy ”retina” 5k+ display. Just don’t look and any of your older images that you thought were sharp!

You can even look at older images that seemed not that sharp when viewed at 100% on your old low resolution monitor - they'll look at lot crisper than before because you won't be enlarging the image as much.

Dec 01, 2017 at 03:24 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

Please buy a proper monitor! The nec pa272w is one of the best for the money! It does 100% of adobe rgb and it is a breeze to calibrate with the nec calibrator! You just have to put the calibrator on the screen, start spectraview and about 6 minutes later your monitor is perfectly calibrated! I love mine.
http:/ /https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/NEC_PA272W_BK_SV_27__16_9_IPS_Monitor_with_SpectraViewII__Black_/Ntt/NEC+PA272W-BK-SV+27+16:9+IPS+Monitor+with+SpectraViewII+(Black)/N/0/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr7nsegz2FrxE5ieLefX9eQR-9g-ma4BA1eMUZVwvRXO-x_LIu0_5ckaArsvEALw_wcB

Dec 01, 2017 at 05:22 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

Sorry, in the OP, I should have included the word pixelate.

Edited on Dec 01, 2017 at 08:06 AM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2017 at 06:58 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

I was asking the question with regard to other's viewing of my published images.

Assuming their viewing with large monitors, what should be the minimum pixel dimensions .... to avoid pixelation? Ok, I should have added the word pixelation.

I was not asking for advice on monitors to buy.

I think I have the answer now (but maybe not): about 1800 to 2000 long side.

Does that sound right to ya'll?

rick2906 wrote:
Please buy a proper monitor! The nec pa272w is one of the best for the money! It does 100% of adobe rgb and it is a breeze to calibrate with the nec calibrator! You just have to put the calibrator on the screen, start spectraview and about 6 minutes later your monitor is perfectly calibrated! I love mine.
http:/ /https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/NEC_PA272W_BK_SV_27__16_9_IPS_Monitor_with_SpectraViewII__Black_/Ntt/NEC+PA272W-BK-SV+27+16:9+IPS+Monitor+with+SpectraViewII+(Black)/N/0/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr7nsegz2FrxE5ieLefX9eQR-9g-ma4BA1eMUZVwvRXO-x_LIu0_5ckaArsvEALw_wcB

Dec 01, 2017 at 07:21 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

bs kite wrote:
I was asking the question with regard to other's viewing of my published images.

Assuming their viewing with large monitors, what should be the minimum pixel dimensions .... to avoid pixelation? Ok, I should have added the word pixelation.

Being in the transition period of 4k I don't think there is a good answer to this question. This came up in the wedding forum recently: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1516718

Dec 01, 2017 at 07:29 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

@bs_kite
if the Browser you're using is not bugged, you should always see the "native" resolution of an image, as it was uploaded.

However, many forum softwares will compress the image if it exceeds a certain resolution (image width/height)

I'm using a 1440p EIZO CS270 (would never waste money on a make-up mirror from Apple) so I prefer images with at most 1'000 pixels width and 2'000 pixels height.

Dec 01, 2017 at 07:39 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

Mark_L wrote:
Being in the transition period of 4k I don't think there is a good answer to this question. This came up in the wedding forum recently: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1516718

Just went over to that link. Yes, that is the subject/issue. Thank you

Dec 01, 2017 at 08:02 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

When I share my flickr picture, I usually use the 1024x675 resolution. It seems to be about the same size has other posted.

Dec 01, 2017 at 08:31 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

I have a similar question, and maybe it is answered in another thread, but - In the age of block-chain technology, where:

1) you can authenticate your digital image, for now, for ever. It will be distributed over many servers, incorruptible.
2) provenance will be automatically maintained forever for your digital image
3) you can sell your digital image, perhaps multiple times
4) future owners can buy and sell your digital image since it will contain a digital signature, and a history of its ownership (or maybe the provenance records all the current owners as well)
5) plus aspects of ownership/distribution we don't envision yet

What size should the original image be? I, myself, would prefer no JPG's. I'd prefer a TIFF, RAW, or some standard.

Block-chain will change the way art/photographs are viewed/purchased. It may signal the end of ink-on-paper, oil-on-canvas, or graffiti-on-railcar. Digital images are a natural medium of exchange on a block-chain enabled internet.

Dec 01, 2017 at 12:55 PM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

excellent photos on your blog.

Dec 01, 2017 at 08:50 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

A large HD screen at 2560 x 1600, which is the high end for the majority of displays in use, can show an image that is up to 2560 on the horizontal dimension and up to 1600 pixels on the vertical dimension. I usually size my images at 1400 on the vertical dimension as that is the constraining dimension with current displays that have a 16:10 or 16:9 ratio. A 3:2 image file from a DSLR will provide a 1400 pixels tall by 2100 pixels long image on the user's display.

4K content is a very long way off although it does help with sales of new monitors by manufacturers. With the very long life of LED backlit LCD displays they need to encourage users to upgrade their existing monitors that are still working perfectly.

Dec 03, 2017 at 06:07 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

My monitor is 2560x1440. Seems I need to stretch it a bit. Maybe if I hang weights off the bottom?

Dec 03, 2017 at 07:21 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

My 27" desktop monitor has 2560 pixels in the vertical because of its portrait orientation. For the convenience of others and myself, I keep both image dimension at 1400-1600 pixels. I do prepare special image versions for my 13" rMBP to fill its native rez of 2560x1600. The Mac Preview app is extremely competent at scaling or, conversely, showing images at native rez. Of equal importance to image size is sharpening: for the 13" Retina, I double the radius to 2 pixels rather than 1.

Dec 03, 2017 at 10:38 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

I have a UHD screen 3840 x 2160 pixels. I now produce jpegs at 1800 pixels high and 2700 pixels wide when 2:3 and if it is 16:9 it will be 1800 pixels wide and 3200 pixels wide. This seems to fit the UHD screen well when you take into account the web borders and address bars etc. When I had just a HD monitor which was 2560 x 1440, I produced jpegs that were 1200 pixels in height.

Dec 04, 2017 at 01:42 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · High resolution viewing on a large monitor screen.

I used to format and post on pbase for an average size monitor and resolution (which changed over the years as monitors got bigger) but abandoned that idea when I adopted a retina display, as images less than full resolution looked terrible. Now I just post images to my flickr site at full rez, usually cropped 16x9 for my own viewing pleasure, and for use on a large 4k TV in my office. By default the Flickr display engine attempts to analyse your browser and hardware and “select” an appropriate display resolution, and though it’s better than most it doesn’t get it right, nor can it handle retina displays, but viewers can always select the full rez version for viewing if desired.

The odd time when I post a link from my flickr site to a forum the highest resolution I’ll use is 2048x1152.

Dec 04, 2017 at 07:41 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.